Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2944463/data-storage-solutions/samsung-releases-worlds-first-2tb-consumer-ssds.html

The 2TB model of the 850 Pro will retail for $999.99 and the 850 EVO will sell for $799.99.

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

Hopefully we'll see a major price decrease in a few years..

• blackblack Member

On the topic of the EVO 850's, anyone have some? Last I checked I wrote 700 GB of data in 30 days, I wonder when my drive will fail on me.

• @black said:
    On the topic of the EVO 850's, anyone have some? Last I checked I wrote 700 GB of data in 30 days, I wonder when my drive will fail on me.

They have a write endurance of 150 TB (though, it's not unheard of to push 1 PB writes). So, about 17 years at a minimum?

• blackblack Member

Steven_F said: They have a write endurance of 150 TB (though, it's not unheard of to push 1 PB writes). So, about 17 years at a minimum?

Ah, I thought it was just advertisement. They tend to exaggerate those figures.

• @black said:

I just put a 850 EVO 250gb in my hackintosh the other week. I haven't really done much yet, deffinitaly not close to 700gb :)

• MarkTurner said: $799.99.

$799.99 ouch, think I'll stick with mechanical hard drives for my storage drive for the time being

• @black said:

Anytime.

It could last minutes or it could last 10+ years nobody knows all these figures that are published are averages/expectations based on the technology used but it's also entirely possible you could have a duff one and it fails tomorrow.

This is why it's important to backup anything that's important.

• BruceBruce Member

how long before old spinning disks stop being made I wonder. 5 years perhaps

• Bruce said: how long before old spinning disks stop being made I wonder. 5 years perhaps

Not happening.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • Bruce said: 5 years perhaps

I doubt that. If ever they stop them.

• BruceBruce Member

@concerto49 said:
    Not happening.

why? price? no wearout? if SSDs continue to come down in price, and improve their longevity, then why would you buy a HDD ever again?

another topic. how much money is being invested into developing new/bigger HDDs ? I presume that most companies are focussing on SSDs

• Bruce said: why? price? no wearout? if SSDs continue to come down in price, and improve their longevity, then why would you buy a HDD ever again?

SSDs are great, but they're just not there yet.

For instance, for our internal backup servers, we run 4 x 3 TB HDD's. We get this for about $109/month. A similar setup in SSDs could easily be double if not triple the price. HDD's will continue to store data cheaply, until we reach a higher capacity for SSDs (and we've come a long way - just a bit further to go).

• Bruce said: why? price? no wearout? if SSDs continue to come down in price, and improve their longevity, then why would you buy a HDD ever again?

another topic. how much money is being invested into developing new/bigger HDDs ? I presume that most companies are focussing on SSDs

SSDs have come down in price at the expense of endurance every year. It'll get to a point where they can't keep doing it. Also the way they've gone about this is via die shrinks. These gets more expensive as you move down. It's the same with CPUs. Look at the Broadwell delays.

The next thing they came up with is 3D NAND, but that in itself is a huge investment and not exactly cheaper right now.

Lots of money is still being invested into HDDs - for things like NAS and storage. SSDs simply can't take that role. Endurance and price don't mix. For consumer workloads endurance was simply dropped.

• why? price? no wearout?

HDD's are still 'almost as good' for long sequential reads/writes. e.g. hardware for a busy database... (preferably lots of memory), SSDs for lots of small random reads/writes and HDDs for logging.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

I suspect spinners wont stop they will just stay ahead of ssd cspacity or become hybrids e.g 8tb spinner with 240gb ssd built in., and in a year 8tb sata, will be common while 1tb ssd will still cost to much.

the point at which it gets interesting is when useable space goes beyond required space.

e.g. when 24tb drives and 100mbit is still common, its already aproaching that now, almost like a speed limit on a road that makes you take a plane depending on distance.

obviously from the vps/dedi perspective but who is going to migrate customers data in 2020 if its 280TB @ 100mbit or even 1000mbit.

it causes a dilemma.

• Whats the advantage of using SSDs over HDDs as these have short life and are expensiv?

• BruceBruce Member

@TheKiller said:
    Whats the advantage of using SSDs over HDDs as these have short life and are expensiv?

speed. disk I/O is much much faster than HDD

• Bruce said: speed. disk I/O is much much faster than HDD

this can be achieved on a hdd too. using some software such as fancycache

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2015

@Bruce said:

Cheaper. Same rule applies to how long before SSD stop being made and everyone goes to use memristor instead. SSD is cheaper, so the answer could be decades, and that's it.

Since SSD is faster than HDD in most of the time, these vendors won't allow the price to drop below the HDD --- they can earn more even they keep the price high. And there's still profit margin for spinning drives.

• Just copy and paste more of the chips on the PCB and there you got more capacity.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@vladka24 said:
    Just copy and paste more of the chips on the PCB and there you got more capacity.

You can fill it with salsa it will cool the chips.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I once read that SSD manufacturers could build bigger drives, they just choose not to in order to milk the cash cow. Sounds logical if you ask me, all the Samsung SSDs are like what? Half empty?

So for now I just have a 128GB SSD and maybe I'll buy SSD manufacturer stocks ... :D