Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

North England server hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

North England server hosting

I'm looking for server hosting in the North/North West of England, preferably in Manchester, Preston or maybe Blackpool.

I've looked around and only found providers who charge over £80/month, and I'm looking for a small server which hopefully costs under £20/month.

Thanks.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2015

I think @MartinD has some stuff in Manchester under one of his brands, he's not terribly active here so drop him a PM or get in touch over on VPSBoard.

Thanked by 1MartinD
  • wychwych Member

Nekki said: I think @MartinD has some stuff in Manchester under one of his brands

minivps.co.uk IIRC.

• Options in Liverpool (linix), Leeds (Webfusion/123 reg) and manchester mainly

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Castlegem

Thanked by 1ozfingwe
  • frankfrank Member
    edited July 2015

The issue is that iomart has bought out a lot of the DC's in the UK, so they are all priced around the same (£60 start point) - as per all the ones you have so far been linked to. There was one 'OK' DC in Manchester that does Co-lo starting at about for about £30 pm the last time I looked in to this, and almost went with them before I saw sense (too much hassle running and owning own kit).

The only place that will come close to £20 pm are the 'questionable' 'DC' in Bradford - They start at £5 pm - http://www.yorks.com/colocation/

• Most expensive company in the world by a mile, their customer service is decent but the price you pay you'd expect it to be.

Not sure what you're willing to take but Sheffield these bunch have a good network; https://www.hahosting.com/

Bar that Manchester's your best option for connectivity in that area.

• What server specs you are looking for?

• Are you looking for a dedicated server? https://www.ukservers.com/ would be the place to go. When I had services in the UK I used them and they were by far the best.

• I have a better option if u r looking dedicated server . https://www.4ukhost.uk provides the best choice in my opinion, I got domain hosting and the price is very cheap, fantastic.Also, 4ukhost's 24/7 support is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and always there!

• @gary1 said:
    I have a better option if u r looking dedicated server . https://www.4ukhost.uk provides the best choice in my opinion, I got domain hosting and the price is very cheap, fantastic.Also, 4ukhost's 24/7 support is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and always there!

Hi Gary,

As I'm sure you can understand, we're very suspicious here of people who sign up just to post a recommendation; a lot of times, this is a sign of someone spamming their site, which is quite frankly bullshit behaviour. To help us believe that you're not a lying little bastard like all the others, please could you post some proof that you are a current customer of this host.

Thanks!

Thanked by 2Aga ATHK
  • @Nekki how's your head after the last night?

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • jhjh Member
    edited October 2015

HyperSpeed said: Most expensive company in the world by a mile

In which world? Your happy world where everything is under $7 and nobody makes any real money? With unicorns and magical flowers that fart rainbows?

Back on topic, since I live in the NW, Blackpool is a sh!thole with nothing remotely useful. Preston is better but still highly doubt anyone would put a DC there. Mancester, lots of options - Melbourne's DCs are very popular and pretty good but the prices wouldn't lend themselves to £20/month dedicated servers. Telecity also has a big presence there (more expensive) and M247 (about the same as Melbourne). UKGrid was where a lot of the cheap space was but that was bought by Telecity. There's also UKFast if you don't might annoying salespeople - you can haggle with them though. If you're willing to go further north, Newcastle might be better - some very cheap colo there = potential for cheap dedicated servers.

Edit: since you didn't actually say dedicated servers, Manchester would be fine for a VPS around £20/month. I do actually know Simplexwebs people and tech well and I can recommend them wholeheartedly.

• @rds100 said:
    Nekki how's your head after the last night?

Not great, even morning coffee isn't helping. Been trying to get out of the building for a breakfast burrito for an hour and a half but failed so far.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited October 2015

Come on, how are some of these locations up north...

Inception Hosting has Newcastle unless they moved, but I don't think they offer dedicated servers there. OpenITC also has stuff in Newcastle?

• @linuxthefish said:
    Come on, how are some of these locations up north...

Anything above Watford is 'North'.

• Nekki said: Anything above Watford is 'North'.

I would have said more Manchester! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England

• Now you're thinking geopgrahically, but most of the country considers themselves 'Northern'. My wife's from Derbyshire which is pretty much slap bang in the middle of the country, her and her family would always call themselves Northerners.

• Are they watching too much Games of Thrones?

Nekki said: Northerners

• GM2015 said: Are they watching too much Games of Thrones?

They call it 'Dragon Tits'.

• I don't watch it, but as far as I know, those are the main things you can notice in the series, are they not.

Nekki said: They call it 'Dragon Tits'.

• GM2015 said: I don't watch it, but as far as I know, those are the main things you can notice in the series, are they not.

I don't really watch it myself so not certain, but from what I know it's not an inaccurate title.

Thanked by 1GM2015