Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need a complete guide thread
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need a complete guide thread

sam-maximum sam-maximum Member
edited November 2012 in General

i am a newbie to this VPS world . just took VPS few days ago and encountered DEBIAN and CP=webmin . i am very much accustomed to CPANEL this is why it was hard to understand and utilise the system. now i have learned that through VPS you can do many things and i am interested to experiment with it. confusion starts here

1. many OS which to chose
  2. many CP [which to chose which is better in GUI]
  3. modules ? different config?
  4. must have things on a vps . must have installed various configurations
    and everything for beginners : please suggest tutorials,articles,linksand everything that is helpful

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

While not complete by any measure, have some tutorials here, especially for VPN: http://board.prometeus.net/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=3faf3fb6f48ace53343426057b2f3565
    If you need a specific one, please say.
    M

• @rajin90

For point 1: the Virtualization platform can either restrict the choice of OS or expand the choice. e.g. OpenVZ (or Virtuozzo - the commercial version), limits you to Linux based distributions: CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu etc.

Xen PV can also limit what can be used as well. But Xen HVM (not the same as Xen PV), KVM, VMWare (not usually at LEB price range). You can install nearly anything, from free OS's to Paid ones.

If you are new to Unix/Linux and are planning to stick to Debian - take a look at "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" - see: http://debian-handbook.info/
    The PDF version is free. The problem I have with the book is that the Security section is located after a whole lot of other things, which for a VPS environment, should only be done after you have secured your system.

If you have some experience with Unix/Linux system administration (I'm not talking about using a CP to administer a system), but not with Debian specifically, you may want to skim the book instead of fully reading it, going back to the bits that you need to read later on as they come up.

From experience of training beginner sys admins, the best approach is to throw them in at the deep end. But in a controlled manner. So may advice is that you should practice using a local virtual machine (look at using something like: VirtualBox) before using a paid VPS, as the paid VPS is out on the Internet. Test out things on the local one, once you understand what you did replicate it on the paid VPS. This practice and repetition is key.

Make sure you cover basic security using:
    SSH
    Firewall: iptables for linux. (PF or IPFW for Unix/BSD’s)

• @bit, good reference there on the Debian Handbook.

• i think paid vps, i mean connecting a box open to internet with an ip, boost ambition, confidence and motivation.

just like you say: my 5 cents :)

• edited November 2012

Panel : Cpanel, DirectAdmin, Kloxo
    Another stuff that might be needed : Squid, OpenVPN, ZNC, IRCD

Some tutorial can be found at :

• biard.prometeus.net
    • library.linode.com
    • how stuff works
    • provider knowledgebase
  • Just so everyone knows, I'm doing what I posted. Not used Debian before (two weeks ago), but have used other Unix/Linux OS's. I've setup local test virtual boxes, then I'll setup local dev virtual boxes to replicate and test things before they go on the production VPS’s.

• Debian is a good bet to stick with for sure. Take the time and learn how to install things without using a panel the knowledge and experience will do you good. Also look into using Nginx instead of apache you will see a huge difference in performance. CSF is a easy way to secure your server and offers good flexibility and ease of use.