Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blacklist checking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blacklist checking

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited November 2012 in Help

Do you guys recommend any services that alert you if your IPs are put on blacklists? I run manual checks, but obviously growth is making that a big mark on my daily productivity. Spammers are smart, and obviously willing to pay. I've been hit pretty hard with them lately. Suspending, ticketing, and requesting blacklist removal takes enough time without the manual checks. They're not dumb ones at all, very crafty, but they eventually get busted by the lists.

Comments

• Should pretty trivial to write a script to do it. You might want to talk to @24khost, since he apparently wrote one.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks for that. I didn't think about writing a script, but I'd gladly donate a little toward someone else to write that for me ;)

• SPAM Cop can do this for you every hour, 24 hours.

• I did write a script and will be posting it for the community for free. It is pretty basic right now.

It works with whmcs database.

• @24khost said: I did write a script and will be posting it for the community for free. It is pretty basic right now.

It works with whmcs database.

Where's the thank you button when you need it?

• Hey It is something we all need for our vps hosting isn't it?

• I'm using free one like mxtoolbox

• I would also actually pay for something like this, I take my own time out just to manually check IP's every so often and that is time consuming with many IP's

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited November 2012

Perhaps something like this: http://www.v-nessa.net/2010/07/16/simple-php-script-for-rbl-checking

Its on google all over the place but that is the best one I have found for multiple IPs.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You can make your own script to check blacklisted IPs but this will take up to 3 minute to check too many multiple ips..

• Well right now it is starting off it will run on a cron however often you want to check it. Though that perl module one that LV_Matt found might work also. Might rewrite it something similar. as it will list all the different ones

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

I decided to try the script above and it's been running for 4 hours and 19 minutes with another /22 left. :(

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

You all just ignored my comment. Instead of trying to use a half assed script, use something that emails you and actually has solid RBL sources / tells you date and time when SPAM was seen, you can then report as solved, etc..

http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jacob, unfortunately SpamCop has increased the amount of spam I get at my private e-mail by publishing it so I refuse to use any of their services.

• On your WHMCS do you use the dedicated ip field?

• @KuJoe how long did that other one take?

Do you use the dedicated ip field in whmcs?

• @jarland Do you use whmcs and do you use the dedicated ip field?

@24khost said: Do you use whmcs and do you use the dedicated ip field?

I use WHMCS but it pretty much has the default setup with SolusVM.

• Not sure how that is setup. Just wondering where it stores what ip is assigned to what member.

@24khost said: Not sure how that is setup. Just wondering where it stores what ip is assigned to what member.

Yeah it's in the dedicated IP field. Sorry, slept 2 hours last night, my mind isn't at 100% today ;)

• okay i finished the first copy of the script just about and was wanting to know if that was how soulusvm worked.

going to post the file here in a few.

I think I love you

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I believe @onepound has one too, pretty efficient, it caught one of my IP's pretty quickly.

• this is the first one. Going to make it quicker and faster as I go.

• @Jack said: @onepound Stu how much £ for it ;)?

I just use the RBL check in Nagios, have configs for each subnet. Each ip checked every 4 hours.

Have also used on occasion senderbase.org here you can look up a subnet and at a glance see which IP's are active senders of mail and if any are blacklisted.

• @jarland have you tested it?

@24khost said: have you tested it?

I've not. I think Ryan may be about to. Banging my head against the desk at the moment :P

• @jarland don't laugh at the code, PHP 5.4.4 is really picky on variables and making them oop.

• I find the Tornevall DNSBL quite useful for checking if an IP is malicious. You just have to reverse the octets in the IP and check if an A record exists on <reversed-ip>.dnsbl.tornevall.org.