Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Mks 2G and Proxmox question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Mks 2G and Proxmox question

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

Hey guys, thinking of getting a Kimsufi Mks 2G, and whacking proxmox on it. I assume proxmox will allow me to run a Windows virtual machine, right? If it would, could anybody let me know what they think the performance would be like, and what sort of overhead I'll be looking at? Would like to dedicate at least 1.5GB of RAM if possible.

Cheers

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

To run Windows, you'd need KVM.. And to run KVM, you need intel vt/amd-v, which is not supported on those atoms.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Alex_LiquidHost said: To run Windows, you'd need KVM.. And to run KVM, you need intel vt/amd-v, which is not supported on those atoms.

Ty

• @liamwithers Just run windows as the main OS, it works fine for me.

@Taylor said: @liamwithers Just run windows as the main OS, it works fine for me.

Windows is a choice on Kimsufi boxes?

• Yep! :D

Pick your poison:

"Windows Server + Plesk 9.5, Windows Plesk 10, Sharepoint 2010 Foundation + Windows 2008 R2 Web , Sharepoint 2010 Foundation + Windows 2008 R2 Standard, Sharepoint 2010 Foundation + Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Web Edition, Windows Server 2008 SP2 Web Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Datacenter Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Web Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Standard Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Core Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter Edition, Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition, Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter Edition + Virtuozzo 4.6, Windows Server 2008 Datacenter SP2 + Virtuozzo 4.5, Windows Server 2008 Datacenter SP2 + Virtuozzo 4.6, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise Edition + Virtuozzo 4.6, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition + Virtuozzo 4.6, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2"

• jhjh Member

@liamwithers said: Windows is a choice on Kimsufi boxes?

They do offer Windows Server at additional cost I believe

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited November 2012

@jhadley @liamwithers I am running it fine on my mks2G, you need to add a "SPLA license" to allow you to access the windows template but any dreamspark key will work to. Running windows 2008 r2.

EDIT: Be careful, now sure how windows will play with a one core celeron cpu if you get unluckly.

Cheers guys, just poking around at Windows Server atm, but obviously it's pointless having it setup on my local machine. Got a friend who's not overly tech-savvy, but is wanting to host multiple sites in the simplest way possible, without having to pay for an administrator or take the time to learn Linux.

:)

• jhjh Member

@liamwithers said: host multiple sites in the simplest way possible

Shared hosting?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited November 2012

liamwithers: Use a windows dreamspark license key :) They let you do that for free, you have to give them a license key before being allowed to install it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@liamwithers said: Got a friend who's not overly tech-savvy, but is wanting to host multiple sites in the simplest way possible, without having to pay for an administrator or take the time to learn Linux.

Put him up with a panel of some sort, there are free ones.
    M