Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS Plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS Plans

Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

I have been quite busy lately with life and have not been able to spend as much time improving Fliphost as i would have liked. Luckily, that busy time is over and I am looking for new products to add and your opinions on them.

Storage VPS Offers - I have been considering offering them for a while now and wanted your opinion on the demand for such servers and relative pricing.

Any comments are welcome (Just try not to derail it too bad :P)

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler appreciated

• To answer your questions @Fliphost

Demand = tons of demand

Pricing should be based on block of gigabytes with some tiering.

I like BuyVM's prices, but impossible to get a hold of their storage offers.

Pricing depends on what all is included aside from disk (i.e. bandwidth per month, VPS or shell, RAID or just one disk and risk).

As a pure storage only play 250GB roughly $5 a month. With VPS that can be used $7-$8.

I try to shop at that level and above. 100GB and less plans that are more common just aren't typically worth the hassle and cost.

• FUSE support is something I'd like to see by default on storage plans that are within a usable VPS. :)

• Thank you @pubcrawler or summarizing it

I will take all of this into consideration, thank you.

• One other "feature" no one has looked at is offering storage with true offsite backups.

So in this instance, service may be in Michigan, but in case of failure, user can transition over to node/storage in say Dallas.

Certainly interest in a distributed filesystem storage model also.

Idea with storage is access to the data these days. Can you run app layer on it -- access it via phone, tablets, API, etc. Look to see what is out there open source wise to facilitate any of that.

@pubcrawler Our backups are not hosted in the same data center and we are looking into adding another location

• That's fine @Fliphost :) Good actually.

Having ability to push folks to live duplicated data in new location is great addon.

Imagine all those sites like Gawker and HuffPo that were down due to hurricane. Updating their DNS with new server IP in dry sane place with good data, well that would have been right idea :)

Not advocating doing this for free or built in cost, but as a pure addon. Call it Storage Insurance.

@pubcrawler I will look into it. DNS wise I could probably offer it with a few modifications, however another location would probably be requirement ;).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Prometeus offers 20 GB FTP/Rsync space not only out of DC but also out of the country for free with every Biz plan.
    However, from here to a HA scheme across borders is a very long way :P
    M

@Maounique would be interesting :P

• @Maounique, you are becoming one of my favorites on this site too :) Good mention of Prometeus and quite a feature.

I can justify paying more and so can others where feature dictate it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

My limited observation is that more people think they want storage than actually do. If it's in high demand like anything BuyVM ever offers, they'll buy it "just in case." Most people floating around here don't actually have that much data and don't need more storage than a regular LEB can hold, thus the reason they're able to use the smallest LEB offerings for most of what they do.

I've had 1 hit on my storage plan. Sure it's a mediocre network, but it's a place to store 100gb for $5 and the storage quality is top notch (HW RAID10 w/BBU). I'm not complaining, it's no skin off my back, but I found it interesting.

I could be way off, it's just a single point of view.

edited November 2012

@pubcrawler said: @Maounique, you are becoming one of my favorites on this site too :) Good mention of Prometeus and quite a feature.

Thank you :)
    I know how ppl look at offers:
    -Ram
    -Storage
    -CPU
    Some look at ToS/AUP too and afew other things.
    While our offers clearly state the backup space, out of 10, only one customer asks for it, this is why we dont provide automatically, but manually.
    Manual provisioning falls within my duties at Prometeus.

Now, since we are discussing storage plans and Prometeus always had a problem with the VPS storage as we use expensive SSD or SAS2 arrays, I was thinking to start offering low end storage plans IPv6 only so ppl can install and use their backup software as well as VPN only plans on very low end HW but plenty of storage and BW.
    For now we consider whether to offer them only as perks for large customers or charge something like 1 Eur/50 GB/128 RAM on 100 mbps shared port. Probably will offer free if OVZ but payed if Xen as I want to do it.
    We will see how the demand is and maybe make it a regular feature of our offer.
    M

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: storage plans IPv6 only

I can see how this could end bad for he.net's tunnelbroker service :)

• @jarland, your storage offer is ho-hum. No offense.

It isn't the price, it's the storage amount related to cost related to network upstream.

You know and admit about the network where that is. You are being polite. I won't be. FDCSERVERS network sucks, especially in their Denver location.

I see probably 300K/s on your speedtest from there. Sure I can get 26.4M/s from one gig location regionally close enough over HE, backhauled to Chicago. Very random and spotty.

FDCServers might be fine if you buy the full gig commit. Otherwise, they seriously are stepping on your throughput and shaping your speed to a trickle. It's a really spotty network and I suspect they are still backhauling way too much to Chicago and out from there.

Most people have been lured by FDC at one point or another with their low low prices. Their reputation in the industry and by anyone that researches is ruined.

What you are doing in NC is heads above. Give Dallas a consideration for expansion instead of the Denver experiment.

Sorry man. I actually considered your storage since I need storage near Kansas City.

edited November 2012

@rds100 said: I can see how this could end bad for he.net's tunnelbroker service :)

Actually, since it is mostly for existing customers, they have IPv6 on their Prometeus plans, so it is something more than some private network.
    It is intended to compensate somewhat the fact we are not so generous on storage as we are on BW.
    M

edited November 2012

@pubcrawler said: What you are doing in NC is heads above. Give Dallas a consideration for expansion instead of the Denver experiment.

Appreciate your honesty. Funny you should say that, as Denver will be even less publicized and our real second location that I'm announcing next week is Dallas ;)

• @jarland,

Yeah, yeah got your number.

Let's see if I can go 2-for-2.

Going into Colounlimited's facility?

@pubcrawler said: Going into Colounlimited's facility?

Incero :)

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

Yeah like I said, you are going into Colounlimited's facility :)

How do you like those tea leaf readings?

Incero is a good operation. Been a while since I talked to the owner.

@pubcrawler said: How do you like those tea leaf readings?

It's like you're reading the bank statement!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique
    In your case, since you now are working for prometeus I would recommend you to start your own thread instead of taking over fliphost.
    You dont want your own cvps_chris thread, now would you :)

• You are in good hands with Incero and Colounlimited. They run a tight ship. Great network too.

Have to keep clean customers on their network. DMCA's = death there.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

As far as I know incero runs their own network.. I am tempted in getting a couple of nodes in there as well.

@MikHo it's quite alright, I really don't mind. I like to see the ideas and comments fly around. Helps to Inspire my own as well.

@Alex_LiquidHost Network is quite good

@MikHo said: You dont want your own cvps_chris thread, now would you :)

Ehm, I didnt see Fliphost making any offer here and I wasnt making one either, was just talk about storage plans.
    Plus, an IPv6 only offer with very low hw and probably no raid, is hardly what Fliphost had in mind.
    He said any comments, so...
    (Truth be told, I didnt notice the thread was started by a host, it doesnt have the offers or providers tag...)
    M

• I don't think Incero runs it's own network. Possible they might have their own commits or private connections to other locations (if they still have other facility going in NC). They certainly don't have their own ASN or anything.

If you are curious about the network there, ask, I have a server sitting in a rack in the same facility :)