Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quassel (IRC) friendly providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quassel (IRC) friendly providers

Any recommendations for providers who are ok with IRC related apps in this case the Quassel client (kinda like a BNC but slightly different)

Seems the latest version is a bit more ram hungry than the previous version (Running on a VPS with 192MB ram) and it will start swapping during a backbuffer sync to the point where the core becomes to unresponsive and drops all it's connections to the irc servers.

I know quite a few providers don't like IRC related stuff because it attracts DDOS, thankfully that's not a problem I've really had in the past but I can understand their reasoning behind it.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We are IRC friendly

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Only a tiny minority of providers prohibit IRC clients or personal bouncers, so you really did not have to start a whole thread to specifically look for those who don't... But yeah you will certainly get your share of bottom-feeder providers you never ever heard of, who have nothing better to do, posting "we are IRC friendly" so surely it will be very easy to make the correct choice. Or how about making this a little bit less useless, and also mention some other meaningful requirements for IRC, such as IPv6 support, custom instant rDNS on IPv4 and IPv6, and DDoS protection.

• VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
    edited July 2015

We also are, but I can also refer you to others if you don't like our prices / plans.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Are you going to connect to public IRC network ?

• techhelper1techhelper1 Member
    edited July 2015

Since Quassel is just a glorified bouncer like ZNC any provider should be fine with running it as long as the resources permit it.

BTW my company Inertia Networks allow it and you can check out the VPS plans here.

• @Clouvider said:
    Are you going to connect to public IRC network ?

Yes there are several Channels I tend to leave connected in freenode among others.

As for requirements I don't really have many since I normally just leave Quassel connected 24/7 then attach to the core when I want to participate in a channel most of the time it just sits there idling.

It's currently on a Xen based Centos 5 machine with 192MB ram which worked fine until I upgraded the core to the latest version yesterday.