Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Blue screening when formatting new SSD on my desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Help] Blue screening when formatting new SSD on my desktop

mawrmawr Member

Info about my computer:
Current other drives: 1TB Western Digital HDD, 120GB Samsung SSD

I have a new 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD that I previously had Hackintosh formatted onto (in the same desktop). I wiped Hackintosh, and wanted to use it on Windows 7, but every time I try formatting it I get a blue screen. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• You can't format it anymore. SSD is done.

• How are you formatting it? Windows or Windows installation CD?

• elgselgs Member

That's normal on Windows.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • sinsin Member

Have you tried using bluescreenviewer?

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Go to your BIOS screen and set harddisk as ATA

Give a try

• Format in Linux bootdisk.

• emgemg Veteran

I agree with William - try wiping it first on another computer - Linux or Mac.

On my Mac, sometimes I use the "dd" command to wipe an entire drive, including the partition information. The same command is available on Linux. Then try setting it up with Windows again. If Windows still fails, use the Linux or Mac computer to format the drive and setup the partition(s), then try again with your Windows computer.

• pcanpcan Member

There is no need to wipe the drive on another computer or OS: use the built-in Windows diskpart command line utility.

A) If the drive to be wiped is a secondary drive: type CMD followed by the Enter key on the Windows search field to open the command line window. Type diskpart followed by the Enter key. At the DISKPART prompt, type LIST DISK followed by the Enter key to get the disk number. Let's say that the disk to be wiped is the disk number 1. Now type SELECT DISK 1 to select this disk. Type LIST PARTITION to list the partition table. Do a final check, just to be sure that the correct disk has been selected. Now type the command CLEAN followed by the Enter key. The partition table will be completely cleaned. Type EXIT to exit from diskpart.

B) If the drive to be wiped is the boot disk: boot from the Windows 7 install media and start the setup. At the "Install now" screen, type shift+F10 to open the command line, then follow the previous instructions.

• emgemg Veteran

... unless it bluescreens while running the Windows diskpart utility. If it works, great. If not, then try Plan B - another platform.

• pcanpcan Member

Bluescreen or system crash while loading Windows installer or diskpart may be a RAM issue. Removing overclock and/or a memory module may solve the error.

• SadySady Member

Boot into gparted & format from that.