Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Can you please check my accoubt chris? Mine says i got blacklisted

• @netomx You're so funny...

• Lol No im not the other host thank god.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited November 2012

maybe someone could get in touch with Phill @ SolusVM and ask?

• @Randy I am sure that SolusVM would be extremely forthcoming with that information...

• @Jack said: Already done.

Great, keep us updated

@marcm said: @Randy I am sure that SolusVM would be extremely forthcoming with that information...

lol

• @Jack
    Subject: URGENT EXPLOIT
    Priority: Medium

Nice.

• @Randy said: @marcm said: @Randy I am sure that SolusVM would be extremely forthcoming with that information...

lol

Would you be in a hurry to tell the world that your closed source software has a major vulnerability like this?

• i am sure it will not hurt to ask right? just to check with them, but if they do not want to release any info about the vulnerability then its their problem.

• @Randy usually they don't say anything until they have a fix for it, and when they do they send out the emails to upgrade to the next version.

• Thank you for this thread, we have disabled API access.

• Well, if they are at fault then they owe ChicagoVPS some kind of monetary compensation for this because SolusVM is commercial software, closed source nonetheless. Am I right @CVPS_Chris?
    I doubt that they would be in a hurry to pay...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@lakid why?

• Bornin.asia is still alive...guess I managed to escape from this...

• It could be an exploit in the actual WHMCS Module itself, Hope it gets fixed soon.

• @zhuanyi said: Bornin.asia is still alive...guess I managed to escape from this..

LOL. hosted on chicagovps?

• Well, if they are at fault

They aren't at fault. If you are going to say idiotic things like that, then sue the people who write every program used in a commercial environment that's ever had an exploit or bug. Sue everyone who writes the software for Linux and Windows and MacOS, because their bugs supposedly make their "commercial software" "at fault."

At fault would be SolusVM sending out an update that deletes everything. At fault would be SolusVM using a backdoor to login and delete everything. At fault is not some guy brute forcing a software exploit.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Randy said: LOL. hosted on chicagovps?

All of this isn't funny. In about a month when Solus decides to fix it we'll know. Don't worry, they aren't in a hurry to tell anyone anything.

Something like this can happen to anyone, so I wouldn't poke fun at ChicagoVPS. I'm sure that @CVPS_Chris and his team are doing their best to fix this situation.

• @mercm yeah, hope they fix it soon :)

• @Jack said: You think Chris is doing anything?

@JShinkle will be doing all the work , Chris will be on a beach somewhere in right @CVPS_Chris

Thanked by (1): Randy

• @Jack I believe that showing compassion for a fellow provider's misfortune is more important than making fun of them. That being said, I don't know much, if anything about ChicagoVPS, so I was just making a general statement. So based on your statement and assuming that @CVPS_Chris is not physically there, I am sure that he is doing what he can from where he is at. Everyone deserves a vacation once in a while...

• @Jack I'm glad he did. Is that Skype?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Well, my solusvm ticket was "escalated to management"

• @Jack said: Indeed.

You and Teal'c...

• Unless you know the ACTUAL exploit if there is one, why the hell are you submitting tickets to Solus? Let Shinkle do that. He knows the exploit. Saying OMG I read on a forum that there was an exploit in a ticket to solus isn't going to do shit. Honestly lets put our thinking caps on here.

@Spencer I may not know the exploit, but helping to make them aware of the issue is not hurting anything.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

[removed due to fear of lightning striking me]

@marcm impressive sound system ;)

• @marcm I remember doing that in high school...good times.

• @marcm one would only need a small house blade and knick at part of the duct tape quickly for that to hurt. :D

This discussion has been closed.