Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap CPU power (Intel i7s are fine) -- Anything besides Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap CPU power (Intel i7s are fine) -- Anything besides Hetzner?

Hello,

I'm in need of a few servers to run very CPU intensive tasks. Memory and disk is not as important, a single 120gb SSD will do the job.

I'm currently using SYS servers but they use E3 1225v2 CPUs. They're powerful but not that powerful.

I'd really appreciate some i7 4770 CPUs but so far the only cheap provider I have found is Hetzner, however they have setup fees.

Is there any other provider besides Hetzner I should look into?

I'd like to avoid setup fees if possible, but this isn't a rule.

Thanks!

Comments

• Use the hetzner auctions, no setup fees.
    Or maybe seflow or servdiscount

• CryckCryck Member
    edited July 2015

You could take a look at https://www.webtropia.com/en/dedicated-server/root-server-comparison.html
    As it is the same provider as http://servdiscount.com/ (already posted by Frencyboy)
    I can only recommend both of them.

• SYS game server are with i7 (no sla)

• but they are using beastly CPU's ^^ and overclockable

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

What do you want to do?

• Which country are looking for?

What workload are you trying to handle on it?

• @vmunich

they aint that bad. ideally you need to be looking at E3 (certainly not E5) or i7 as you said.

I also suggest comparing single core scores @ http://browser.primatelabs.com/

I would avoid any of the X5 and the L5 & E5 series cpu's as they offer terrible single core

• UknownUknown Member

Is there any dDos protection on Hetzner servers like OVH and Online.net? and hows is the support?

I just found a cool i7 dedi server (9000+ benchmark) in around $35 range with 16GB Ram and 2TB disk i would like to give it a try.

• Hetzner > ddos > null route (no even autonull) they are good for backups

• UknownUknown Member

@coolice said:
    Hetzner > ddos > null route (no even autonull) they are good for backups

oh ok thanks for replying so no ddos protection

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

@Uknown said:
    oh ok thanks for replying so no ddos protection

True, i'd avoid them if i'm under attack.

• TarZZ92 said: certainly not E5

The E5-16xx series is beast. What you mean is avoid the E5-2xxx series like the fucking pieces of shit that they are.

• Rallias said: The E5-16xx series is beast. What you mean is avoid the E5-2xxx series like the fucking pieces of shit that they are.

Most of them are quad cores only though. for example the E5-1650 v2 would perform much like a decent E3 but it's only a quad. and power HUNGRY 130 W

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Budget?
    Location outside Germany is still ok ;)?

• zevuszevus Member
    edited July 2015

@Uknown said:
    Is there any dDos protection on Hetzner servers like OVH and Online.net? and hows is the support?

I just found a cool i7 dedi server (9000+ benchmark) in around $35 range with 16GB Ram and 2TB disk i would like to give it a try.

the support is fine. if you get DDoS'ed, well, you'll be null routed rather quickly.

ed2: Sigh, had VAT included.

I have an i7-3770 for 28.57 euro a month, but you'll have a hard time finding them that cheap now... prices have gone up several euro in the last month or two. Best deals are on Sunday, though... also i7-2600's are something like 5-10% slower than i7-3770's, so those would be worth looking at too, like the i7-2600 at 29.41 with the EXPI9301CT inic addon

• UknownUknown Member

@zevus said:
    I have an i7-3770 for 28.57 euro a month, but you'll have a hard time finding them that cheap now... prices have gone up several euro in the last month or two. Best deals are on Sunday, though... also i7-2600's are something like 5-10% slower than i7-3770's, so those would be worth looking at too, like the i7-2600 at 29.41 with the EXPI9301CT inic addon

The one i found was also i7-3770 but in around 34 euro. I really like it but DDoS mitigation is really important for me because of some crazy kids are after one of my site :(