Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any email server suggestion other than postfix/dovecot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any email server suggestion other than postfix/dovecot

elgselgs Member

I found it's painful to migrate mail server and mail data from one vps to another. Currently I'm using postfix/dovecot. They work together well, expect they have a lot of configuration files and the data is scattered everywhere. I'm looking for something that is easier to install and configure, and moving data is not that painful. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I think you just need to move your mail folder, /etc/postfix/ and /etc/dovecot

and if you use a database you need to move that,too.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • tommytommy Member

It's easy to install and manage postfix, but you need to spend some time read their documentation.

To move to another server, just like @4n0nx said

• If you want simple setup or a GUI, then use one of the panels - Webmin, Virtualmin, Froxlor, Vesta, or (as @raza19 mentioned) one from here.

If you want to do-it-by-hand but avoid Postfix, then you're looking at Exim which is arguably much simpler to get configured. In fact, many panels now use it in their stack instead of Postfix.

However, it may be easier to stick with Postfix if you already have a running setup. I usually keep my daemon configuration files and user data in specific directories so that, when I decide to migrate, I just pull across those specific directories and can be up+running faster again.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • NavynNavyn Member

Use Zimbra It's good but require high resource in compare to Postfix/ Qmail mail server.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

Yes @Navyn is right, zimbra= motherf* high load on your server, don't even think about doing it on a vps, you should have access to a strong dedi with 8-16gb ram and all cpu to spare. I tried it on few vpses from here & it was constantly draining the cpu. Having said that, I can confirm without any doubt that out of all the free email options zimbra is by far the finest.

• Take a look at OpenSMTPd. Seemed pretty simple.

• @raza19 said:
    Yes Navyn is right, zimbra= motherf* high load on your server, don't even think about doing it on a vps, you should have access to a strong dedi with 8-16gb ram and all cpu to spare. I tried it on few vpses from here & it was constantly draining the cpu. Having said that, I can confirm without any doubt that out of all the free email options zimbra is by far the finest.

Axigen is a good alternative then

• Microsoft Exchange

• elgselgs Member

@DamienSB said:
    Microsoft Exchange

Microsoft software hurts my brain.

• @elgs said:
    Microsoft software hurts my brain.

It works well.

• DamienSB said: It works well.

Not an issue.