Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FlipperHost: Looks like their trying to rip me off
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FlipperHost: Looks like their trying to rip me off

ModRiotGamingModRiotGaming Member
edited July 2015 in Providers

I received a server from them, and since day one it has been slow as hell. Well today i finally complained and sent a ticket, after 1 or 2 rounds of supposed fixes, they are now trying to accuse me of running attacks off my server, even though the entire log of ips:ports they listed as proof is just connected steam clients (port 27005) and a gameserver of mine (port 27018).

Hi,

IT's because of some attacks are originating from your server. Please refer the below link that your VPS has a DDOS attack on it. Please verify it and stop these connections on it to avoid the suspension of your VPS.

Wed Jul 1 15:48:33 2015; UDP; eth1; 576 bytes; from 198.55.105.xxx:27018 to 190.73.125.xxx:21431

Wed Jul 1 15:48:33 2015; UDP; eth1; 383 bytes; from 198.55.105.xxx:27018 to 104.229.165.xx:27005

Wed Jul 1 15:48:33 2015; UDP; eth1; 102 bytes; from 69.124.252.xxx:27005 to 198.55.105.xxx:27018

Wed Jul 1 15:48:33 2015; UDP; eth1; 82 bytes; from 190.73.125.xxx:21431 to 198.55.105.xxx:27018

Wed Jul 1 15:48:33 2015; UDP; eth1; 74 bytes; from 108.228.80.**:64389 to 198.55.105.xxx:27018

**continues on just like this for a good page and a half***

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Perhaps your container is compromised and sending attacks, thus saturating your ports thus causing you to witness slowness? You should probably dig deeper into it and work directly with them.

• ModRiotGamingModRiotGaming Member
    edited July 2015

Fresh os install less than a week ago, so its not likely unless the image they provided has been tampered with. As for all the connections, im running a l4d2 server running on port 27018, i even checked the logs of the gameserver and clients from those ip's connected to play. This looks like some year one tech bs. Its been this sluggish since day one, i just barely got around to sending a ticket complaining about the vm's i/o speeds of 9.9Mb/s. (15 days into ownership)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Ask for the total load and iptraf stats of the node. If the total is within reason for the hardware/network, you know the problem is not the node.

• ModRiotGaming said: Fresh os install less than a week ago

Same password?

edited July 2015

I replied to their accusations with " No attackers here, the ip port combo you listed is a game server. The corresponding 27005 port connections are designated steam client connections.... "

and their response...

Hi,

Ok, that's fine. Please secure it from your end to avoid the latency and the suspension.

Vikram E,
    Support Technician (Level 2)

He just acknowledged i wasn't into anything shady, yet he continues to threaten suspension??? Im going to do another fresh install just to make these bastards happy. (no traffic, change up the pw's at ever install)

• Is your traffic affect on other users?

• I haven't even used 1% of my allotted bandwidth after 15 days of service, that gives you an idea of how much traffic Ive been getting.

edited July 2015

After OS Reinstallation:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1276 v3 @ 3.60GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 3601.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 2048 MB
    System uptime : 8 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 64.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.10MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 3.43MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.24MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 997KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.58MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.68MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.15MB/s
    I/O speed : 84.1 MB/s

Was averaging 50-60MB/s I/O before all this drama, still slow as hell.

• What game are you running? There are some reflection attacks that could be the cause. We've seen similar activity on some game server customer's servers.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • Just started clean, started 1 nmrih server with 0 activity.

System uptime : 55 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 63.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.07MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.93MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.44MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 788KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.53MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.45MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.03MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 14.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.31MB/s
    I/O speed : 67.1 MB/s

• flipperhostflipperhost Member, Patron Provider

Hello Mod Riot Gaming,

Our support team has informed you that your vps had thousands of connections, it dosn't matter if these connections are from gamers or attacks. As each VPS has limited number of allowed connections which is around 2000 connections at the same time (concurrently). Re-installing your vps will most probably not change the situation as you will again demand thousands of connections assuming there is an immunity for gamers or certain ports. What simply happens is your vps affects the whole node. Using 1 % of 5TB bandwidth limit and how much bandwidth you have used till now is also irrelative as we are complaining with the number of connections your vps establishes and not with the bandwidth usage of your vps.

On top of all, our support team didn't ask for any extra money or upgrade, as the number of allowed connections is not some thing that could be upgraded.

Instead of resolving whatever issue you have with us at our ticketing you seem to be out here with an irrelative header to the actual complaint/issue, That said, although you do not deserve it and what you do is what any hosting provider would call abusing we wish to just refund you as by knowing your solution is to just re-install your server and not block your gamers and ports. As long as you see your thousands of connections as if it is not an abnormal thing at a vps which shares its network with multiple other vps s no solution can be established with your situation we are convinced.

Regards
    Ceko

edited July 2015

Your group accused me of running attacks from my server, your support group clearly has no problems hurling accusations of illegal activities. Out of 5 different providers, on 7 different vm systems, all with more activity than yours, yet problems with i/o speed only exists with this vm.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ModRiotGaming said:
    Your group accused me of running attacks from my server, your support group clearly has no problems hurling accusations of illegal activities.

I suppose you would be happier if they dug into your private data to find out what you were actually doing instead of telling you what it resembled from their end?

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • flipperhostflipperhost Member, Patron Provider

Hello ModRiot,

I understand you got upset with the accusation of ddoss attacking, though many times once a technician sees thousands of connections it is just similar to a ddoss attack at a glance. More over the result effect is sometimes even also similar if not always. Our support team should sentence it as " Your vps was having too many connections OR ddossing" instead of accusing you directly with ddossing, this would cover it all. We have learned from this instance that we should always include "or over the limited number of connections" next to the word "ddoss attack" and at our first staff meeting I will make sure accusation generic for an abusing vps changes, though as I said the effect and the result are just similar. Still I apologize on behalf of our support team if you have taken the word ddoss / attack personally and you have felt offended by it.

Regards
    Ceko

• I have 4+ small nodes with flipperhost, I can said that their node is smooth and they care about my node when something abuse it, solid service in my experience

• I was clear what the activity was once the tech mentioned attacks, and right as the message got across, I'm switched to another staff member who insists its "exposed systems & ddos attacks". Ive dropped the subscription, i don't need all this drama.

• @ModRiotGaming said:
    Fresh os install less than a week ago, so its not likely unless the image they provided has been tampered with. As for all the connections, im running a l4d2 server running on port 27018, i even checked the logs of the gameserver and clients from those ip's connected to play. This looks like some year one tech bs. Its been this sluggish since day one, i just barely got around to sending a ticket complaining about the vm's i/o speeds of 9.9Mb/s. (15 days into ownership)

Let me guess got caught by nodewatch?
    As nodewatch monitors those connections, etc and will either automatically suspend the abusing vps or notify the admin or both.
    as I am using it on my openvz nodes and it works great.

edited July 2015

Unfamiliar with the daemon, worth looking into tho. This vm has been dragging since day one when i originally installed ogp and the gameserver files, i just didn't realize how bad the problem was until today when i started customizing the servers and ran benchmark tests in attempt to discover what was causing the sluggish response.

• @ModRiotGaming said:
    Unfamiliar with the daemon, worth looking into tho. This vm has been dragging since day one when i originally installed ogp and the gameserver files, i just didn't realize how bad the problem was until today when i started customizing the servers and ran benchmark tests in attempt to discover what was causing the sluggish response.

Really? because every provider uses it to protect their openvz nodes to prevent abuse(unless you aren't a provider you wouldn't know lol)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

The only time I've ever had a VPS suspended for suspected DDoSing, it turned out to be the Steam client I'd installed and forgotten about during one of my ill-advised attempts to play Football Manager in a remote desktop.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

There are a few steam amplification attacks out there which would explain this, assuming the OP did not have a 2000 player server running I cant see any other good explanation, and this would show the gameserver source ports in the logs.

Reinstalling will not help, and not much point in getting angry with the host, they don't suspend people for fun.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • SpiritSpirit Member

@ModRiotGaming to me it doesn't look like they try to rip you off, but rather different expectations from both sides. Maybe this title isn't most suitable, a?