Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimisufi and VT Virtualisation??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimisufi and VT Virtualisation??

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited November 2012 in General

The dutch Kimisufi brand, isgenoeg.nl now also has the new lineup. I'm interested in it, want to run Proxmox on it. But the specs say it has no "VT Virtualisation". Does that mean it lacks intel VT-x/AMD-V? And if so, how is OpenVZ performance, and, how is KVM/XEN performance on a machine without VT-X/AMD-V

Comments

• @raymii right, it doesn't have hardware support for virtualization - you can run software emulated virtualization if you can live with the performance hit. Without hw support, my qemu tests show 100% CPU usage during qemu boot of a Debian guest and 80% during login. After that it settles down but would not recommend for compiling stuff etc.

Openvz doesn't use hardware virt - it's a regular linux kernel with a patch and userland tools for ovz mgmt.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

OpenVZ works on anything, don't need VT.
    KVM without hardware virtualization would run so slow that... i can't even figure out an appropriate comparison.
    I have run vmware server years ago (in the vmware server 1.0.x days) on CPUs without hardware virtualization - it worked quite well. Don't know how the modern vmware versions work.

• isgenug.de (Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein) has the new one as well now :)

• @William said: isgenug.de (Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein) has the new one as well now :)

Yes, right. Already ordered the i3 with 8GB RAM - but haven't received it yet.

• So it would be best to go with a model there that supports VT if I want to do KVM, and else just OpenVZ. Thanks for the info!

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Shame they have limited the amount of ipv4's on the kimsufi brand though :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Raymii said: So it would be best to go with a model there that supports VT if I want to do KVM, and else just OpenVZ.

You can go Xen-PV, I deployed XCP (freeware version of XenServer) on an atom and works really well.
    M

• @rsk said: Shame they have limited the amount of ipv4's on the kimsufi brand though :(

That's right, also the bandwidth.
    The main OVH brand has 95 percentile bandwidth now (yay!) and they've thrown out ipv4 for Kimsufi and one-off payment for ipv4 with professional use enabled.

• @Maounique said: freeware version of XenServer

XenServer is free, they just limit the hell out of you just so you buy a license. (stupid Citrix)

• @BronzeByte said: XenServer is free, they just limit the hell out of you just so you buy a license. (stupid Citrix)

The free version of Xenserver for me is Proxmox :P. Xen-PV is like openvz then?

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited November 2012

@Raymii said: The free version of Xenserver for me is Proxmox

Sorry, that statement is invalid :P
    I love Proxmox, here is the difference
    Proxmox <---> XenServer (Citrix is only giving it free with limited features in the hope you pay for that crap)
    OpenVZ <----> Xen PV (exactly like OpenVZ, just written differently, better RAM allocation and shittier community than OpenVZ)
    KVM <-------> Xen HVM (even VirtualBox beats Xen HVM, it's a ruined fork of QEMU)

• @BronzeByte I know it is, and I also know they use different hypervisors. You're basicly saying that you don't like Xen? :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Yes, he continues to bash Xen even tho I pointed out major flaws in his reasoning here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5703/hi-we-are-a-web-hosting-voip-hosting-company-moving-into-the-world-of-vps#Item_27
    I dont know the reasons behind that but it starts to look fishy, especially since he didnt reply my post, just goes some other thread to spread unfounded rumours.
    Also XenServer might be free, but I was not talking about that, I was talking about the really free (opensource) version called XCP (Xen Cloud Platform).
    http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html
    M