Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Why France?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Why France?

Not an anti-French topic, but I'm just genuinely interested to know why France has OVH, Online and Ikoula but there isn't anyone similar in other EU countries eg UK, DE ?

Are the infrastructure costs lower there? Do they get government backing ?

Comments

• Non-hosting guy guess: power costs are lower there due to France's preference to nuclear.

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

Yes, cheap nuclear power.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
    • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I'd say government subsidized nuclear power but I don't know for sure. :) Germany has a lot of reasonably cheap VPS providers but they are not very popular due to contract lock-ins and written cancellation requirement and due to most websites being only available in German. Then there's strict abuse handling (even DMCA requests without court order, which is required in Germany), often no support on weekends,..

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I looked up colocation with contabo recently (Germany). Their pricing:

8€ rent
      10€ unmetered 100 mbit/s
      20€ electricity

facepalms

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

• I didn't realise Nuclear Powered electricity was so much cheaper. I thought it was just more future proof.

Is the French ambivalence to DMCA a cultural thing stemming from their historic dislike/mistrust of the US?

• OsamaOsama Member

France has about 52 (I guess ) Nuclear Stations that make the electricity there required for the servers and datacentres pretty cheap not so sure though.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

alaningus said: Is the French ambivalence to DMCA a cultural thing stemming from their historic dislike/mistrust of the US?

Historic? Don't tell Lafayette, Clemenceau, or de Gaulle.

Thanked by 1Pwner

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
      edited July 2015

@alaningus said:
      Is the French ambivalence to DMCA a cultural thing stemming from their historic dislike/mistrust of the US?

Way to apply 19th century geo-politics to DCMA.

Given their history, it's quite surprising they don't surrender to DCMA requests.

Thanked by 1Pwner
    • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

alaningus said: Is the French ambivalence to DMCA

DMCA is not a thing in France

• There must be more to it than cheap electricity and Gallic shrugging at what people are doing with their servers?

• Relative political stability, cheaper recurring costs and in Western Europe... yes there'll be more to it but a naive conclusion could perhaps be that 'conditions are generally more favourable to conduct business in the hosting industry in France'.

Perhaps the EU common market would be a positive too. Whatever it is, it's going to boil down to cost and availability.

• Wild guess. Tax structure. Perhaps the government would like to encourage internet development.

• I'm surprised nobody from France has been on (maybe they have) to tell me about forward thinking investment in technology, tax breaks for IT companies etc.

As a UK citizen there is a lot to be proud of here, but I do find myself looking enviously across the channel at their car industry, the investment in railways and their government backed utility companies amongst other things.

I'm not particularly surprised that we don't have an OVH or an Online here but I am a little surprised that there isn't one in Germany or Holland.

• wychwych Member
      edited July 2015

alaningus said: isn't one in Germany

Hetzner is close, depending what aspects your looking at.

Taking a hiatus.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

alaningus said: I'm not particularly surprised that we don't have an OVH or an Online here but I am a little surprised that there isn't one in Germany or Holland.

Germany said byebye to nuclear power, that's probably why.

• UK having to get French to build our new Nuclear power station(s) and buy electricity of them at a guaranteed (high) price. No doubt the profits will help to keep electricity prices down in FR and encourage more OVHs !

• @alaningus said:
      UK having to get French to build our new Nuclear power station(s) and buy electricity of them at a guaranteed (high) price. No doubt the profits will help to keep electricity prices down in FR and encourage more OVHs !

Buy Online.net Limited Edition servers as revenge to recover your losses :)

Thanked by 1alaningus

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
      edited July 2015

@alaningus said:
      I didn't realise Nuclear Powered electricity was so much cheaper. I thought it was just more future proof.

Actually, France has one of the strongest laws against copyright violation (i.e. Hadopi).

It's not just about electricity; France is a country very technologically driven and has amongst the best tech universities (l'école polytechnique de Paris is an example) and engineers.

Thanked by 2alaningus k0nsl
    • @Issam2204 said:
      France is a country very technologically driven

Very true, and also very good at making commercial use of that technology.

Not something that the UK is always very good at.

• imagineimagine Member
      edited July 2015

Issam2204 said: one of the strongest laws against copyright violation (i.e. Hadopi).

I thought they dropped the HADOPI law back in 2013?

(Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jul/09/france-hadopi-law-anti-piracy)

imagineLayer - IT solutions backed by outstanding support structure.
      Web: www.imaginelayer.com • Email: [email protected] • Phone: 03719 10 10 11
    • @imagine said:

Not really, as Hadopi is more an institution than a law. They are still operating.

• raza19raza19 Member

@Issam2204 said:
      Not really, as Hadopi is more an institution than a law. They are still operating.

So, big companies go to hadopi to take action,single point authority ? rather than dmca style scare tactics in the US ?

We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out.

• Hadopi is an indipendent authority. It doens't work for big (or small) companies. It scans for illegal downloads and with the collaboration of ISPs finds IP address and relative users.

• Cheap electricity, cheap internet and decent market competition does the trick

• BruceBruce Member

@Issam2204 said:
      France is a country very technologically driven

have you ever owned a french car? they like their tech, but the stuff in their cars just doesn't work. will never buy renault ever again

free trial zilore monitoring

• @Bruce said:

Your experience is totally subjective. Would you expect no faulty models in a car manufacturer? I'm having big time issues with a German car right now. I owned two French cars and they were doing great. Also owned a Japanese and an Italian car, great too.

• In my experience French cars are very innovative. They're great until they go wrong, and then (at least in the UK) they can be awkward and pricey to fix,

• Unlimited bandwidth.

Please don't cry.

• UrDNUrDN Member
      edited July 2015

Cheap electricity in France is a propaganda of the French government to avoid having to think of renewable energies because Areva is a multinational company and a very powerful lobby.

The main reason of cheap prices is because there was a time when France had a network called Minitel, it was a centralized network of terminals completely under the control of France Telecom which dictated what could be or not be on the network. Of course the Internet made it totally obsolete. France Telecom became a private company and did everything it could to prevent the expansion of the Internet.

France became underconnected and in order to fix this issue the government lowered tax to 6% to boost development. This measure lasted until a few years ago.

Mixing this with companies doing sometimes extreme overselling on impacting the quality (eg. free.fr) allow low prices.

As for OVH, prices started very low because servers were home made and used watercooling which significantly reduced power consumption.

www.urdn.com.ua - KVM/Qemu hosting in Sweden.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

UrDN said: Cheap electricity in France is a propaganda of the French government to avoid having to think of renewable energies because Areva is a multinational company and a very powerful lobby.

But electricity is cheaper there, no...?

You make it sound like electricity is actually very expensive but the perception that it's cheap is due to clever government hoodwinking.

And nuclear energy is very renewable for all intents and purposes because we won't run out of the source materials for thousands of years...by which time we can probably mine them on the moon or the asteroid belt (unlike oil).

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• raindog308 said: And nuclear energy is very renewable for all intents and purposes because we won't run out of the source materials for thousands of years...by which time we can probably mine them on the moon or the asteroid belt (unlike oil).

By that time we'll probably be on fusion.

Thanked by 1raindog308

Is inflation really at 0.5%? What a conundrum...

eddynetweb.net | DigitalOcean referral.

• UrDNUrDN Member

raindog308 said: But electricity is cheaper there, no...?

France usually has the highest prices for everything in Europe but when it comes to electricity it's just on the average.

raindog308 said: You make it sound like electricity is actually very expensive but the perception that it's cheap is due to clever government hoodwinking.

I think it's because today people outside the country still think that France is what it used to be with the philosophers of the Enlightment age, the human rights... It's very easy for the government of France to hijack the heritage of French history.

The reality is that the French government is trying to be the leader of the tyranny in Europe. Education is very weak, incompetence and corruption are everywhere. It's a plutocratic government that works exclusively for the lobbies.

I have friends working in universities and laboratories where the administration and even his own "scientists" colleagues have zero clue about what they're doing. When it comes to I.T the few good schools are completely corrupted and the only thing they teach you is how to wear a suit to prostitute yourself in front of Microsoft. Smart people are usually those who have succeeded in forging their own education and have left the country.

In order to survive in this country you have to be dishonest, cheat taxes and people otherwise there is no way to go. This results in a nauseating atmosphere.

raindog308 said: And nuclear energy is very renewable for all intents and purposes because we won't run out of the source materials for thousands of years...

How do you renew nuclear waste? In this case there's no reason to not use coal since there's still plenty of it.

Thanked by 1alaningus

• @UrDN said:

You could be describing the UK !

Seriously it can't be that bad (neither can the UK)

• UrDNUrDN Member

@alaningus said:
      Seriously it can't be that bad (neither can the UK)

I've been always optimistic but every experience I had was worse than expected. It seems that the UK is a competitor in the race to global dictatorship.

• Altough electricity is cheap in France compared to some other European countries, internet is controlled a lot on illegal activity (not sure if applicable to OVH, Online etc) by the ISPs.

"LET: where you can go from hero to zero in the space of a single thread." - Nekki

• rds100rds100 Member

TheLonely said: Altough electricity is cheap in France compared to some other European countries, internet is controlled a lot on illegal activity (not sure if applicable to OVH, Online etc) by the ISPs.

Amazing how much shit lives on OVH's network. I wouldn't call that controlled.

-

• @UrDN said:
      It seems that the UK is a competitor in the race to global dictatorship.

lol - we'd never make it past the semi-finals!

• alaningus said: lol - we'd never make it past the semi-finals!

Britain has a CCTV camera for every 11 people. :)

• So the argument of nuclear power ovh uses in France must extrapolate to BHS (?). Fak I lost my sleeping pill

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

inthecloudblog said: So the argument of nuclear power ovh uses in France must extrapolate to BHS (?). Fak I lost my sleeping pill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing#Price_comparison

pls

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

BHS actually feeds from Hydroelectric and Geo Thermal - THere are 2 nuclear reactors in Quebec but compared to Hydro/Geothermal their power feeds are rather small.

OVH France is easily 90%+ nuclear.