Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote Management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remote Management

CoreyCorey Member
edited October 2012 in General

Is there a cheap way to install remote management capability on a server for out of band access to reboot server, install OS etc....? Or does the mobo have to have this capability on it already. I plan on installing remote management capability on an atom server for a different project I am doing.

As it stands now, YDGH has always requested reboots and used a kvm - no remote management interfaces.

Comments

• reboot via ssh?

• jhjh Member

Do you have any PCI slots with an Atom motherboard? (Silly question, but never actually seen one).

If you do, you should be able to get a card.

• TazTaz Member

Hmm. Why not fully virtualize the node using kvm virtualization and then do what ever you want to? Performance loss will be heard to notice.

• @jhadley said: Do you have any PCI slots with an Atom motherboard? (Silly question, but never actually seen one).

If you do, you should be able to get a card.

Yes there is one PCI slot.

@24khost said: reboot via ssh?

Out of band access is needed....

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

Most server motherboard support IPMI, even if it's only CLI access and uses a shared NIC. Our SuperMicro board for our Intel Atom has IPMI included but it doesn't have a dedicated NIC like the higher end board do.

If you're really in a pinch, what I used to do was install Citrix XenServer first and then create a Xen HVM VPS using all of the server resources so it's essentially a server sitting on a management OS. These days the same can be done with Proxmox and OpenVZ.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@Taz said: Hmm. Why not fully virtualize the node using kvm virtualization and then do what ever you want to? Performance loss will be heard to notice.

It's an atom board, don't you need VT for KVM? Atom does not have VT

Was already going to virtualize using openvz but I want to be able to manage the dedi regardless of power state/ kernel state

• oop's wasn't paying attention.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: Was already going to virtualize using openvz but I want to be able to manage the dedi regardless of power state/ kernel state

You'll need to purchase an IPMI card then.

• TazTaz Member

My bad. Didn't notice that.

• @KuJoe said: You'll need to purchase an IPMI card then.

Those work with any old motherboard? From what I was reading it seemed like it required something already on the mobo for it to work.

• jhjh Member

@Corey said: Those work with any old motherboard? From what I was reading it seemed like it required something already on the mobo for it to work.

What did you read exactly? Something like this should work just fine:
    http://www.raritan.co.uk/products/kvm-over-ip/ericg4/

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@jhadley said: What did you read exactly? Something like this should work just fine:

http://www.raritan.co.uk/products/kvm-over-ip/ericg4/

I was reading this,

@'http://www.serverproblemsolved.com/serverproblems/ipmi-primer/' said: The IPMI system consists of a Baseboard Management Controller (BMC), which interfaces with other controllers and sensors on the motherboard via the Intelligent Platform Management Bus/Bridge.

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited October 2012

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html

Cheaper on eBay though.

Pair this with remote hands and you basically just need to put 1 per rack. Remote power control would be nice pairing with this.

If you need it integrated, you'll realise that for an Atom it's cheaper to replace with a SM Atom w/IPMI inbuilt vs throwing a card at it.

• jhjh Member

From my link:

OS and hardware independent. eRIC G4 can manage any type of server running any OS, whether Intel®, Sun®, PowerPC™ running Windows, Linux®, Solaris™, Novell®, etc.

;)

• @Prometeus have it on their Atoms. You could check with him or @Maounique if what they use might work with yours.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@jhadley said: From my link:

OS and hardware independent. eRIC G4 can manage any type of server running any OS, whether Intel®, Sun®, PowerPC™ running Windows, Linux®, Solaris™, Novell®, etc.

;)

Yes but that is also kvm over IP, do I HAVE to go that route?

@rchurch said: @Prometeus have it on their Atoms. You could check with him or @Maounique if what they use might work with yours.

Would love to hear what they have to say.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

@Corey said: Yes but that is also kvm over IP, do I HAVE to go that route?

What level of out of band access do you need? I assumed it would be KVM level to install OSs etc.

• @Kenshin said: If you need it integrated, you'll realise that for an Atom it's cheaper to replace with a SM Atom w/IPMI inbuilt vs throwing a card at it.

Where can I buy those? From a quick google search it seems they want over $100 for a last generation atom.

• @jhadley said: What level of out of band access do you need? I assumed it would be KVM level to install OSs etc.

Ability to power on/off regardless of power state on the server.

• @rchurch said: @Prometeus have it on their Atoms. You could check with him or @Maounique if what they use might work with yours.

They use supermicro blade server atoms which have IPMI included. The "normal" desktop Atom boards don't have IPMI. Example: Kimsufi.

• http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182242

$179 seems expensive for the same specs I already have on a foxconn desktop mobo minus the IPMI.

• @Corey said: Where can I buy those? From a quick google search it seems they want over $100 for a last generation atom.

The Raritan eRIC will set you back easily $100 as well, you might as well buy the SM Atom at $100 which comes with integrated IPMI. You can keep the old board for a rainy day.

Alternatively the Raritan eRIC can be carried over to another server if you choose to do so later on, but considering how PCI slots are getting non-existant in newer hardware, not a really good idea either.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@Kenshin said: The Raritan eRIC will set you back easily $100 as well, you might as well buy the SM Atom at $100 which comes with integrated IPMI. You can keep the old board for a rainy day.

Alternatively the Raritan eRIC can be carried over to another server if you choose to do so later on, but considering how PCI slots are getting non-existant in newer hardware, not a really good idea either.

So I'll be spending $110 more for IPMI..... :(

I don't think that is really viable on the low end atoms... I can buy a board meant for an e5 @ $300 that includes IPMI and $300 price point on a board that supports e5 is about the cheapest you can get.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: They use supermicro blade server atoms which have IPMI included.

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/2U/2015/SYS-2015TA-HTRF.cfm

I don't even consider anything to rack without remote management (ilo, ilom, ipmi, drac, etc.) :-)

@Corey you can buy an IPMI card if you have one free pci slot.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@prometeus said: @Corey you can buy an IPMI card if you have one free pci slot.

And this IPMI card will work regardless of what is on the mobo? If that is the case it seems the AOC-1UIPMI-B would do just fine.

• @Corey said: And this IPMI card will work regardless of what is on the mobo?

Compatibility issues may exist, but I believe they work just fine. Like you said for another $300 bucks you probably can get a 1155 board + Celeron CPU that performs better.

• with Intel vPro technology

• Atom doesn't have vPro tech.
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: And this IPMI card will work regardless of what is on the mobo?

you need to check/try. :-(

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited October 2012

@Corey said: Atom doesn't have vPro tech.

Can always buy a cheap board + CPU that does. It's really too simple to beat an Atom right now in terms of horsepower and feature, only Atom benefit that's still unbeatable is power consumption.