Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress data loss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress data loss

I was a GVH client, I had have never any problems. Now, I have transferred to Hostress... This is not a provider... They have lost all my files, without any notice. I can not make full backups from day to day... It is impossible!

Comments

• Hello Sir/Madam,

Well, its your server which lost data. Here is reply from Thomas.

I'm showing you were on a node that didnt have data loss. However it seems your container lost data. From what i can see only your container was affected. You can rebuild your container in solusvm.

Thank you,
    Yogesh - Support Operator
    Hostress - Feeding your hosting needs one plan at a time...

• ya it was just you... lol

Yogesh is super high quality support.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • 5 GB files are lost. It is a huge problem.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

There's already a pretty juicy thread on this matter here:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/56400/hostress-net-former-gvh-tacvps-data-loss-multiple-locations-at-the-same-time

Sorry to hear about your data loss though, people should always keep their own backups, no matter what.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

kovacsak said: It is a huge problem.

If you were not keeping backups your data was not that important. There are no reasons or excuse not to keep backups especially on provider such as GVH and others since.

Thanked by 4jar Pwner Infinity Rob92
  • Nobody has any sympathy for you pal. You put your files on a shitty host that got transferred to another shitty host that got transferred to another shitty host and you didnt think to backup your data throughout this whole process? (or do the even more logical thing of migrating to a different host.)

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

JoeMerit said: Nobody has any sympathy for you pal.

I showed a bit of sympathy though :P

• @HBAndrei said:
    I showed a bit of sympathy though :P

Thanked by 2HBAndrei netomx
  • @Lee said:
    If you were not keeping backups your data was not that important. There is no reasons or excuse not to keep backups especially on provider such as GVH and others since.

Sorry, I can't create backups every day.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

kovacsak said: Sorry, I can't create backups every day.

Then you're doing something wrong.

Sorry to be blunt, but you just are. If you can't at least do incrementals you risk data loss.

Of course, you are building on a foundation of quicksand with GVH/Hostress regardlesss but even if you were at the best VPS company on the planet, you need regular backups.

• @kovacsak said:

Well you can. Buy a backup box and just gzip the backup content and rsync it over

• akzakz Member

lol buys GVH and has no back up plans.. complains when data is lost..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

akz said: lol buys GVH and has no back up plans.. complains when data is lost..

Thanked by 1akz
  • Oh well... We at least know that if anyones client data gets lost it's backed up to multiple peoples computers and WHMCS installs... That's a relief at least...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @JoeMerit said:
    Nobody has any sympathy for you pal. You put your files on a shitty host that got transferred to another shitty host that got transferred to another shitty host and you didnt think to backup your data throughout this whole process? (or do the even more logical thing of migrating to a different host.)

I disagree actually. That's my entire point with WHT though, people don't KNOW ABOUT THE HOST AND just think they are trustworthy with a corporate title tag. (Most likely what the OP did in this situation when choosing GVH). This is just another prime example.. You have to give him some sympathy though. I know it's mostly his fault for not having back-ups, but come on.

• @akz said:
    lol buys GVH and has no back up plans.. complains when data is lost..

There was a hosting management system installed on it. Which are should reinstall reconfigure. If I buy backup boxes I could also buy much more expensive vps...

kovacsak said: If I buy backup boxes I could also buy much more expensive vps...

yes but it is not really fair of you to expect and unmanaged service to compensate for the fact you dont want to do your own backups.

What has happened to hostress is one thing but the fact is that hardware failures happen to the best of us which can result in data loss.

Honestly you can get 10GB backup space for about $10 p/year if your customers are not worth that then this is just a hobby for you at best.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Okay, then I make a hosting company and will reformatting HDD's every month...

• There was no hardware failures. Hostress guys aren't have any experience. They do not know what happened. Very professional!

kovacsak said: Okay, then I make a hosting company and will reformatting HDD's every month...

Taking an argument to the point of being ridiculous just to make it fit your point only makes you look silly.

Its called your data.... drum roll..... because it is yours.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

@kovacsak - stop being a whiny little /redacted

You signed up with the hosting industries shittiest host, you knew this, I know you did. The price of the service fuelled your greed to get resources way beyond what was reasonable.

You took the chance and now it's biting you right where it should.

Whether you like it or not and unless explicitly stated, no hosting provider is responsible for you data's existence. Only you are.

Accept your mistakes, learn a valuable lesson and move on.

• kovacsakkovacsak Member
    edited June 2015

@Lee said:
    kovacsak - stop being a whiny little fucker.

You signed up with the hosting industries shittiest host, you knew this, I know you did. The price of the service fuelled your greed to get resources way beyond what was reasonable.

You took the chance and now it's biting you right where it should.

Whether you like it or not and unless explicitly stated, no hosting provider is responsible for you data's existence. Only you are.

Accept your mistakes, learn a valuable lesson and move on.

In reverse situation it would be very sad, if it happens with you! But in this situation no problem for you! Go /redacted

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

kovacsak said: In reverse situation

Never going to happen, I backup incrementally, snapshot daily and download locally every piece of important data.

My data exists, how's yours?

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • No sympathy. You're dumb for not taking backups, and now you're just being a baby about it. Your data is gone, deal with it. Bitching on here isn't going to get your data back.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

Lee said: Never going to happen, I backup incrementally, snapshot daily and download locally every piece of important data.

You're not gonna feel so proud when a worldwide nuclear war leaves my mars01-mars99 nodes as the only available data sources.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Traffic said:
    You're not gonna feel so proud when a worldwide nuclear war leaves my mars01-mars99 nodes as the only available data sources.

I will concede to that one.

Ok so this has taken a turn for the worse, OP either has learned his lesson or never will, closing this thread before anyone else starts clapping in public with excrement covered hands.

This discussion has been closed.