Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EXE on Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EXE on Linux

ajonesajones Banned
edited October 2012 in General

So, anyone know a good method, I tried wine but it failed when I wanted to run D-Guard so I can protect from DDOS.

Any ideas?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

Try mono if it's written in .net .... otherwise you are SoL

Try iptables.

Edit: It probably won't work in linux anyway since windows network interfaces are different than linux network interfaces. This is too OS specific.

• Get software that runs in linux/is an OS

There are plenty of them.

• Oh look, it's @ajones again...

Why would you want to run a Windows DDoS firewall on Linux? Just use one that is made for Linux.

Thanked by 2Randy Infinity
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

Why not get one for LInux based systems?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Alternative suggestion: Why not just use Windows?

Thanked by 2Infinity netomx
  • Epic faceplam.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Use BSD

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

From your post it sounds like this is for your home machine. Do you really need to go to extreme lengths to protect from DDOS at home?

Oh wait, HackForums dude again. Apologies.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ShardHost said: Use BSD

You mean DSB? :D

• From what it sounds like, I think his Linux server is getting DDOSed and Windows firewall is the only thing he knows how to configure...
    Sigh...hackforums...

• CodeWeavers is being given away free tomorrow I think.. lets you run Windows app on Mac and Linux. Anyone tried it?

http://flock.codeweavers.com/

Thanked by 2jar pcan
  • @AsadHaider said: Windows app

Including DDOS tools? Man that's risky :)

• You clearly cannot comprehend my question.
    D-Guard used to support windows, linux since then they removed the linux downloads, only way is to run the exe on linux.

• Get a windows vps instead.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@ajones said: only way is to run the exe on linux.

So they used to support both and now the only way is to run the Windows copy on Linux? Makes perfect sense. My computer used to support CDs and floppy disks, but I took out the floppy drive, now the stupid CDROM won't take the floppy disk. Anyone have an adapter to make it fit in the tray?

• Rather not pay worldstream 32 EUR/month extra for a windows license, however I could snatch one from dreamspark but I don't remember my .edu email login

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2012

@ajones said: You clearly cannot comprehend my question.

You clearly are not very intelligent. There's no way this will work.

• @ajones said: You clearly cannot comprehend my question.

D-Guard used to support windows, linux since then they removed the linux downloads, only way is to run the exe on linux.

Linux is a totally different beast. Not sure that you can have 'ddos protection' with a windows program on a linux machine.

Just because they had a linux download at one time doesn't mean the windows version works with linux.

• You clearly don't know how to read.

• @Corey said: Linux is a totally different beast. Not sure that you can have 'ddos protection' with a windows program on a linux machine.

Just because they had a linux download at one time doesn't mean the windows version works with linux.

L2Google "D-Guard Firewall"

• @ajones said: L2Google "D-Guard Firewall"

Not sure how that is relevant... I already googled it and looked at the product.

• Keep in mind that tools like Wine and Crossovers actually runs a BASIC/Minimal Windows-like api stack, not a full featured Windows OS. This means that WINE cannot interface with the lower level linux subsystem, where a firewall would run. In english, this means that this sort of application is not a candidate for being ran on Linux.

WINE based applications also have MUCH higher respources then if it were ran on a native Windows Machine.

You would need to try to find a linux DDoS Solution, and there are many.