Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualisation platform comparison (VMWare or KVM)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualisation platform comparison (VMWare or KVM)

deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
edited June 2015 in General

Hi,

I'm interested to hear your opinion about VMWare or KVM for production use. Which would you prefer and why? I do not currently have intentions for a true cloud setup with H.A./load balancing but rather something that is built on an enterprise level with adequate features.

There are two options for VMWare that would seem appropriate for a small deployment or business.

• VMWare Hypervisor (Free ESXI but lacking in features?)
  • vSphere 6 Essentials Kit (paid with support for 3 servers with 2 CPUs each)

Are there any auto provisioning modules for WHMCS? I am aware there some for ESXI but not for vSphere?

Open source QEMU KVM

• SolusVM or other 'quick' solutions.
  • Openstack

-Proxmox

Thanks!

Comments

• smansman Member
    edited June 2015

KVM hands down. Don't know why anyone would use Vmware now a days. Maybe for private enterprise use it's ok because they like dealing with other enterprise businesses for their IT. Not for anything like hosting though.

Not crazy about SolusVM KVM implementation. For OpenVZ, SolusVM is great but we still have lots of little bugs with KVM. I get the feeling Solus does not have a lot of KVM customers and that's why a lot of these little bugs are not found/squashed.

Thanked by 1deployvm
  • sman said: Don't know why anyone would use Vmware now a days.

They have a lot more features - especially management. KVM by itself requires a lot more work to get going. VMWare just works out of the box. It supports clustering, failover and a lot of enterprise features.

Thanked by 1deployvm
  • SadySady Member

@concerto49 said:
    They have a lot more features - especially management. KVM by itself requires a lot more work to get going. VMWare just works out of the box. It supports clustering, failover and a lot of enterprise features.

This. But VMWare is a bit complicated for a new man, so go with KVM if you don't want either of these.

• @Sady said:
    This. But VMWare is a bit complicated for a new man, so go with KVM if you don't want either of these.

I don't have any experience with virtualization and tried both vSphere 6 and Proxmox 4. It took me minutes to figure out how to create a new KVM server in Proxmox and configure it. vSphere was way too complicated. I will suggest that you go with KVM using Proxmox.

• KVM is great!

• SadySady Member

@nikhil500 said:
    I don't have any experience with virtualization and tried both vSphere 6 and Proxmox 4. It took me minutes to figure out how to create a new KVM server in Proxmox and configure it. vSphere was way too complicated. I will suggest that you go with KVM using Proxmox.

This is exactly what I want to say, ESXi has loads of features but a bit complicated to start for a OpenVZ/KVM user.

• sc754sc754 Member

I use KVM, although I think if you want graphical remote desktops to your machine then Vmware would be better.