Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

owncloud on an LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

owncloud on an LEB

syamansyaman Member
edited November 2011 in General

Chanced upon Owncloud http://owncloud.org/ when I was looking for an easy way to set up my own WEBDAV storage space. Has anyone tried this on a low end box? Tried it on a 128MB OpenVZ Alienhost VPS and it was sluggish - not sure what the minimum requirements are for an acceptable experience.

Comments

• It's part of KDE, do you really expect it to be anything other than sluggish?

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Haven't used that one but I could have sworn we talked about other methods. Unfortunately with 'cloud' in the footer of nearly every page, it makes it hard to find. (Ten pages back on google and I can't find it. I do know we talked about doing such generally.)

To be honest, I'm getting to the point that I dislike clouds. One of the first things you learn about web page optimization is to limit how many different sources parts of a web page are coming from, especially if they're off site. At the very least, you have to deal with a DNS lookup that adds time to page generation. It's also a problem when the outside cloud is down or sluggish.

I know back in my wp.com moderator days, they gave I believe Amazon a try and moved 80% of the image content over there while keeping the top 20% local. I believe they moved it 100% back after a few months. Not sure what the ratio is currently although last I knew, they were still using cloud storage for uploads but I believe most of it is still local on their own servers.

I get better performance with installing memcache if what we're running supports it. But that's just me and what I see with what we're doing.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

You could try clustering up the VPS's (LEB's) and making a cluster, Which I think is a cloud ?

Try Cloudmin or Virtualmin, I think they have options to cluster up VPS's.

EDIT : I found this http://pcplus.techradar.com/node/3207

If you are in the mood to try something try that ^^

• We discussed Cloudmin once but there wasn't much to it:

http://v2.lowendtalk.com/questions/7752/why-dont-more-providers-use-cloudmin

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@drmike : Thanks for pointing that out, that's true, that thread did not have much to it...

• We had a length thread about setting up a cloud. I'll look for it later when I have time.

• @drmike Cloudmin and ownCloud are similar but not the same. Cloudmin is a control panel and ownCloud is a webdav dropbox-like service :P

Thanked by 1syaman
  • @maxexcloo said: @drmike Cloudmin and ownCloud are similar but not the same. Cloudmin is a control panel and ownCloud is a webdav dropbox-like service :P

Agree

• Thanks maxecloo for getting the discussion back on track. :)
    So does anyone have inputs?

• I've been looking for a solution like this for a while. I installed it on a vmware vps from VMStorm with 128MB of ram and it's working petty well. I chose to use mysql instead of sqlite and the memory usage is about 40MB running nginx, php-fpm and mysql.

• I'm using owncloud on a securedragon vps, and works fine. Server is nginx and and i'm mostrly accessing via a browser and not webdav.

• Owncloud 3.0 is out. Updated mine without a issue. Fast, stable and really light on memory and cpu.