Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox VE 4.0 - include LXC (and removed openvz)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox VE 4.0 - include LXC (and removed openvz)

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Source: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_4.0_beta1

based on Debian Jessie 8.1
use kernel 3.19.8
new HA manager, see High_Availability_Cluster_4.x
QEMU 2.3
include LXC (and removed openvz), see Linux Container
DRBD9
countless bug fixes and package updates (for all details see bugtracker and GIT)
Thanked by 3rm_ cassa rauppe31

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wow removed Openvz eh, wonder if they are providing a toolset for none commercial support users to migrate to LXC.

@ModulesGarden interested to hear your time scale for updating your module?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Removing it until the change of the Openvz kernel to be based off the RHEL 7 kernel was the way I read it on the announcement / original discussion

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Good, I just had Proxmox 3.4 ISO lying around meaning to try it sometime, now can delete it, download Proxmox 4.0 and have that lying around instead to try sometime.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Luckily migration from OpenVZ to LXC is very simple.

• AnthonySmith said: @ModulesGarden interested to hear your time scale for updating your module?

Today we released versions 1.5 of VPS and 1.3 of Cloud with noVNC console. Next serious update 1.6/1.4 will take place in August.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

ModulesGarden said: Today we released versions 1.5 of VPS and 1.3 of Cloud with noVNC console. Next serious update 1.6/1.4 will take place in August.

Nice one will it cover LXC then?

• edufeduf Member

its beta.

• BruceBruce Member

and the advantages of LXC over OVZ are ? I'm guessing it's all to do with v3 Kernel. any other benefits?

• ModulesGardenModulesGarden Member
    edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: Nice one will it cover LXC then?

Not yet Anthony. Once the version 4 is stable, we will do whatever we can to cover it.

How odd, just installed 4.0 beta 16 and its still OpenVZ ?????

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Unless out-of-the-box security of LXC has improved since I last checked, this is not going to end well.

• BruceBruce Member

@joepie91 said:
    Unless out-of-the-box security of LXC has improved since I last checked, this is not going to end well.

Originally, LXC containers were not as secure as other OS-level virtualization methods such as OpenVZ: in Linux kernels before 3.8, the root user of the guest system could run arbitrary code on the host system with root privileges, much like chroot jails.[4] Starting with the LXC 1.0 release, it is possible to run containers as regular users on the host using "unprivileged containers".[5] Unprivileged containers are more limited in that they cannot access hardware directly. Nevertheless, even privileged containers should provide adequate isolation in the LXC 1.0 security model, if properly configured

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Bruce said:
    Originally, LXC containers were not as secure as other OS-level virtualization methods such as OpenVZ: in Linux kernels before 3.8, the root user of the guest system could run arbitrary code on the host system with root privileges, much like chroot jails.[4] Starting with the LXC 1.0 release, it is possible to run containers as regular users on the host using "unprivileged containers".[5] Unprivileged containers are more limited in that they cannot access hardware directly. Nevertheless, even privileged containers should provide adequate isolation in the LXC 1.0 security model, if properly configured

Hrm. The "if properly configured" part there is what concerns me most of all.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • dnwkdnwk Member

@k0nsl said:
    Luckily migration from OpenVZ to LXC is very simple.

Any tutorials?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is it easy to install in top of an,already installed debian?

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    Removing it until the change of the Openvz kernel to be based off the RHEL 7 kernel was the way I read it on the announcement / original discussion

This is exactly the way I read it as well.
    LXC is nowhere near a replacement for OpenVZ, especially from a security perspective.

While there are so many options to choose from when it comes to hypervisors or application containers, even after so many years there's still only one choice for OS containers, OpenVZ.

I don't expect the OpenVZ's RHEL7 kernel to arrive any time soon, but there's no rush since RHEL6/CentOS6 is supported until 2020.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • yomeroyomero Member

Well, weird news. Personally I don't see myself moving my servers to LXC anytime soon.

Not unless LXC gets the features, isolation and stability that openvz has for production stuff

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • elgselgs Member

One problem of OpenVZ for me is it's very difficult to enable L2TP in the container due to the kernel restriction. Wondering whether LXC allows L2TP?