Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roundcube Next
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Roundcube Next

bizzardbizzard Member
edited June 2015 in General

The web hosting industry doesn't need an introduction on Roundcube. Being the most popular open source webmail application, its bundled with almost all shared hosting control panels and many mail provides use its customized versions.

During its initial development time, Roundcube was intended for use in desktops. The people behind Roundcube and Kolab are running a campaign to make Roundcube take advantage of the best web technologies available to provide a better user experience across all devices.

Here is what they aim to do in their own words:

The first thing we're doing is giving Roundcube a modern and gorgeous fluid user interface for the desktop. As a single-page web app with zero page reloads and consistently elegant user feedback, Roundcube Next will be the responsive, reactive and simply gorgeous email application you want to use more than Gmail or Outlook.

Have a look at the campaign and support them at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/roundcube-next--2

More details: https://kolab.org/blog/roundcube/2015/06/04/“next”-experience-roundcube-users

cPanel, Tucows, Fastmail and few others have already pledged a significant amount and the campaign has raised more than 80% by now. 11 more days to do.

Comments

• tommytommy Member

but I still prefer the 'old' roundcube, Roundcube Next (The Chatter, Caller, Record Keeper, etc) want to be the next GMail + Hangout + Wunderlist.

• @tommy said:
    but I still prefer the 'old' roundcube, Roundcube Next (The Chatter, Caller, Record Keeper, etc) want to be the next GMail + Hangout + Wunderlist.

Nothing wrong in getting a newer, modern ui.

• tommy said: but I still prefer the 'old' roundcube, Roundcube Next (The Chatter, Caller, Record Keeper, etc) want to be the next GMail + Hangout + Wunderlist.

Its already there. There is no good opensource webmail client that works across devices afaik. Rainloop works, but its not 100% free.

Again all those features are stretch goals and optional opt-in. The core will always stay simple focused on mail.

• cassacassa Member

Can't wait :D

• tommytommy Member

Droidzone said: Nothing wrong in getting a newer, modern ui.

from what I read they focus to add more feature than basic email.

Roundcube Next will offer a suite of user friendly open source communication tools

bizzard said: Again all those features are stretch goals and optional opt-in. The core will always stay simple focused on mail.

Don't get me wrong :) I contribute to Roundcube Next too.

• @tommy said:
    from what I read they focus to add more feature than basic email.Roundcube Next will offer a suite of user friendly open source communication tools

That seems to be all the rage these days. They seem to be just succumbing to "peer pressure". :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Remember when people hacked on open source projects for fun without having to start an online campaign to raise money...

What really do they need money for?

"I'm thinking of writing a community-developed free Unix-like operating system...but first, let's raise $100,000 on Indiegogo."
    -- Linus Torvalds, never

• Replaced Roundcube with Rainloop and couldn't be any more happy.

• Roundcube is fine like it is. Outlook works perfect for everything else and for business. I'd never you roundcube for business thought.

• Sounds like a hot mess.

• raindog308 said: "I'm thinking of writing a community-developed free Unix-like operating system...but first, let's raise $100,000 on Indiegogo." -- Linux Torvalds, never

classic Linux Torvalds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Admiral_Awesome said: classic Linux Torvalds

Typo! I fixed it.

• So... will I be able to open an email with a single click now?

• oh great, more shitty crowdfunded vaporware

go sit on the pile of dead crowdfunded projects with mailpile and the rest :)

• The campaign just passed the initial goal of $80000, with 9 more days to go.

Many crowd funding projects have been a failure, but I like the concept of donating to something which I would like to have, making it happen soon, rather that donating after its live.

testingtesting said: go sit on the pile of dead crowdfunded projects with mailpile and the rest :)

Mailpile is not dead. Its functional, but a different approach to mail client and is not useful in the way Roundcube is. For more details, check their blog at https://www.mailpile.is/blog/