Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why it's hard to find a big website hosted on online.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why it's hard to find a big website hosted on online.net?

I can find tens of big websites( with alexa rank less than 5000 ) hosted on the servers of online.net's competitors, but haven't find one big site hosted on online.net's server until now, however, online.net offers the same level hardware with lower price.

Comments

• SadySady Member

Why don't you be quiet? I've checked & saw 50+ users online & they're quiet.

• Big is subjective what are the sites?

• @Sady said:
    Why don't you be quiet? I've checked & saw 50+ users online & they're quiet.

I need to rent more powerful servers to host new sites, and online.net's price is very affordable, I just to need to know whether it's reliable.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Jack_298 said:
    I need to rent more powerful servers to host new sites, and online.net's price is very affordable, I just to need to know whether it's reliable.

Expect horribly unhelpful service, and possibly also payment issues. Somebody I know had his card declined by Online.net out of nowhere (previous payments went through just fine), and now Online is threatening to send a debt collector after him. Despite refusing payment themselves.

Thanked by 1isalem
  • I've had great service from Online.net, even with a 2eur/mo box.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

Their support greatly improved since one or two years ago and I'm really satisfied with their services. I also had payment problems once and they actively worked with me - they've extended the due date, they tried to help me and so on. Turned out to be a problem with their payment gateway and got resolved in a few days.

Their support is truly 24/7 since a few months and their services are reliable, cheap and constantly improving.

• Many people will use multiple servers for popular sites. They will need uptime

• AmitzAmitz Member

That's because I hide my big sites at online.net behind an OVH reverse proxy. :-)

• cuz all the big boys are hosted on Xfuse Solutions

• boerndboernd Member

because their network sucks

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I read about the credit card issues. I ACCIDENTALLY ordered an additional IP adrress for ~2 EUR/month because it didn't say a price anywhere. Apparently this can happen with Windows licenses,too. They advertise unmetered and you don't get unmetered, they will ask you to pay more money after your "guaranteed" bandwidth of 100-200 mbit/s is permanently being used. Their peering is bad, I received relatively slow download speeds to the server.

• Suffices to say Iliad's DC3 is one the finest data centers in the world.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@4n0nx said:
    I ACCIDENTALLY ordered an additional IP adrress for ~2 EUR/month because it didn't say a price anywhere.

Those who can read have clearly an advantage. Also, the button on the previous page even says ORDER IP addresses.

Apparently this can happen with Windows licenses, too.

I can only repeat myself.

They advertise unmetered and you don't get unmetered, they will ask you to pay more money after your "guaranteed" bandwidth of 100-200 mbit/s is permanently being used.

They guarantee you 100/200/300Mbps of bandwidth, but most of the time you're able to burst WAY over that. This comes as a free solution to handle traffic spikes.

If you keep bursting over that ALL the time and are therefore using way more than you've paid for, they'll contact you and offer you 3 options: a) You reduce your traffic, b) They ratelimit your port (=100/200/300Mbps, depending on your plan) or c) You pay.

Their peering is bad, I received relatively slow download speeds to the server.

Can't confirm that, but I don't know where you live, so might be possible that such issues occur at your place. Their datacenters are very well built though and I (including others on LET) haven't had any problems so far.

Get over your 2€ which got "wasted" because you didn't read before clicking some buttons, I've seen you mentioning that now already multiple times in threads about Online.net.

Thanked by 1ZweiTiger
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Maybe if online.net offered an option to change their currency they'd get a lot more sales. Horrible user experience.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2015

Online.net the best provider in the EU about dedicated server so far so good... No dowmtime more then half year.

Use stable credit card no no name... etc. etc. read their tos carefully.

They are a big company with many staff member. Their support is awesome. After i cancelled one of my server they called me by mobile why i did that... Am i happy with the servioce how they could improve. Etc etc. Thats why my shared hosting service so stable and good. More then 92 day uptime without any issue.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

NeoXiD said: Those who can read have clearly an advantage.

Oh? So you can see a price there? Wow you must really be good at reading.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

NeoXiD said: Can't confirm that, but I don't know where you live, so might be possible that such issues occur at your place.

Download speeds TO the server. From any location.

Those who can read have clearly an advantage.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

ZweiTiger said: Their support is awesome. After i cancelled one of my server they called me by mobile why i did that...

That's probably one of the worst things a company can do. Call you and bug you after you ended business with them.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

@4n0nx said:
    Oh? So you can see a price there? Wow you must really be good at reading.

The page mentions several times ORDER/COMMAND. Those yellow bootstrap alerts aren't just there to look shiny, they often include useful and important information. The prices are listed at several places, one of them is their documentation, where a link to is given in, oh what a surprise, exactly that yellow alert box.

Also, you'd be the first one who thinks about free when reading payable as full months.

Download speeds TO the server. From any location.

You still didn't specify any location or what kind of data you've downloaded. You usually use up more traffic in the regions where you live or where you have other servers.

That's probably one of the worst things a company can do. Call you and bug you after you ended business with them.

I've stopped using them onc ein 2013 and what they actually do is calling you and asking if they can be of any further help and/or if you'd like to give some feedback. They'll exactly try to call you once and if they don't reach you, they'll leave you a ticket. They didn't mention a single time that you should come back or whatever.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited June 2015

NeoXiD said: The page mentions several times ORDER/COMMAND. Those yellow bootstrap alerts aren't just there to look shiny, they often include useful and important information. The prices are listed at several places, one of them is their documentation, where a link to is given in, oh what a surprise, exactly that yellow alert box.

Also, you'd be the first one who thinks about free when reading payable as full months.

Oh pls. Like you haven't ordered anything free in your life.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited June 2015

joepie91 said: Somebody I know had his card declined by Online.net out of nowhere (previous payments went through just fine), and now Online is threatening to send a debt collector after him. Despite refusing payment themselves.

I had this too, but mine was a issue related to the bank (card security) a simple call resolved that though. also debt collectors are powerless so make sure to advise your friend that.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@4n0nx said:
    Oh pls. Like you haven't ordered anything free in your life.

Oh pls, you've ever paid for something free in your life? IMHO it's your fault that you ended up paying that fee, but you may think whatever you want. I'll stop any further discussion from now on as I don't think we're ever going to agree to each other.

• LeeLee Veteran

I had a slightly different experience with Online. One of my Credit Cards was flagged with fraud and put on hold. I was advised not to make any more transactions with a company in France that I had recently paid.

The only company I had used in France on that card was Online.net, to be fair I forced the outstanding payment through as I had the server and there was no issue with it. But of course I cancelled it anyway due to this.

When I raised it with Online they just simply cancelled my service and made no comment about what I told them. Which I thought was odd, usually some defence is offered.

The card company would not give me any detail.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Seriously: I have 4 servers with online.net since many moons and have yet to face a problem. I cannot say anything bad about them. So everyone's milage may vary.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Their network has packet loss every weekend, that's why you don't see bug sites there. All the people having good experiences with them, never used them in production for stuff they rely on, it seems.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2015

@tr1cky said:
    Their network has packet loss every weekend, that's why you don't see bug sites there. All the people having good experiences with them, never used them in production for stuff they rely on, it seems.

Are you talking about DC2 or DC3? I monitor my servers in DC3 for packet loss and have not seen any. I once had a cheap server in DC2 and indeed saw packet loss there from time to time.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Amitz said:
    Are you talking about DC2 or DC3. I monitor my servers in DC3 for packet loss and have not seen any.

The DC where they deploy most of their atoms. I believe it is dc2.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Yep. I can comfirm that for DC2, as said. No problems at all in DC3 since I started monitoring 6 months ago.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NeoXiD said:
    Their support greatly improved since one or two years ago and I'm really satisfied with their services. I also had payment problems once and they actively worked with me - they've extended the due date, they tried to help me and so on. Turned out to be a problem with their payment gateway and got resolved in a few days.

Their support is truly 24/7 since a few months and their services are reliable, cheap and constantly improving.

Great that it worked out for you, but I am hearing horror stories like this from multiple directions. It's certainly not an isolated incident.

TarZZ92 said: I had this too, but mine was a issue related to the bank (card security) a simple call resolved that though. also debt collectors are powerless so make sure to advise your friend that.

He talked to his bank, who confirmed that the issue was on Online.net's side (and I believe Online didn't even respond to his latest message at all). They've just been completely uncooperative in general.

And yeah, I've already told him that a debt collector would have absolutely no leg to stand on here.

Thanked by 1wych
  • wychwych Member
    edited June 2015

I have also had issues with cards more recently at Online.net.

Support is OK but the team have had my feedback on various things, guess I learnt to live with them.