Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!

Comments

• wychwych Member

GIANT_CRAB said: Everyone should start using IPv6. Why? Because IPv6 is faster than v4, v6 has IPSec built-in, v4 is facing exhaustion.

Tell that to my ISP.

• sc754sc754 Member

@nexmark said:
    You all think IPv4 running out is a problem? Wait till oil runs out lol.

That'll never happen, as supply diminishes the price rises so it won't run out it'll just get really expensive. But the future is renewables anyway, oil is becoming less significant and will continue to do so.

• FuslFusl Member

@SSDBlaze said:
    The world is not ready to transition to ipv6

True. Not even www.lowendtalk.com has IPv6 yet...

Thanked by 1kzed
  • @Fusl said:
    True. Not even www.lowendtalk.com has IPv6 yet...

A lot of data centres including colocrossing don't have IPv6 functionally yet.

Though colocrossing is the one that it's always pointed at..

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

dedicados said: the ip is so dinamic i cant even get a tunnel for ipv6 working.

Use he.net with dynamic tunnel end-point update.

https://ipv6.he.net/tunnelbroker-update.php

Fusl said: True. Not even www.lowendtalk.com has IPv6 yet...

They use Cloudflare, they could switch it on by as little as one click.

• Clouvider said: Use he.net with dynamic tunnel end-point update.

https://ipv6.he.net/tunnelbroker-update.php

but is for linux, and im on windaz

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

@dedicados said:

They offer you an update URL/API, which you can easily call by yourself. There might be even premade applications for that. Or you could setup the tunnel on your router, together with an update script, if you're using OpenWRT (tested, very easy) or similar CFWs.

EDIT: Tada, 1 second of googlefu: Click me

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited June 2015

@doughmanes said:
    The OVH IP scam is you pay a $3 one time "setup fee" for each IP

If you can lease additional IP's for $.50/IP (or less) that $3 "one-time" ends up being quite a long "ROI" (return on investment)... If you are leasing IP's for $.25/ip/month for example, itll take you 12 months to make back that $3 up-front you paid, and 13 months before it becomes an advantage. @nexmark

So many people don't realize that I suppose -- maybe I should also offer IPs @ $3/IP "one-time".

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Clouvider said:
    For me, one of the main factors when selecting home broadband was IPv6... But maybe I'm just too nerdy.

If I based my ISP choice on that -- I wouldn't have internet at home :(

• @dedicados said:
    How useful is a vps with ipv6 if you dont have, my ips is only ipv4, they dont plan to add ipv6 because all adsl modems are not prepared, and the ip is so dinamic i cant even get a tunnel for ipv6 working.

it sucks

There are softwares out there that allow you to run a tiny program on your computer that will automatically update a subdomain for you that will always point to your current dynamic DHCP IP, then you simply point your tunnel to your private subdomain and it will always have connectivity with you

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited June 2015

@rds100 said:
    Hopefully not. Let this misery end :)

Let the anticipation end, but let the misery begin!!!
    I am very, very curious and semi-excited to see what this brings about across not just this industry but the Internet as a whole!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ItsChrisG said: If you can lease additional IP's for $.50/IP (or less) that $3 "one-time" ends up being quite a long "ROI"

6 months is "quite long", are you 14? Also did you just use the term "ROI" talking about something that costs $3?

Thanked by 3NeoXiD alexvolk Dylan
  • @rm_ said:
    6 months is "quite long", are you 14? Also did you just use the term "ROI" talking about something that costs $3?

I'm 15

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited June 2015

@ItsChrisG said:
    I'm 15

Wow you would have been 13 years old when that ripoff report was published:
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/QUadranet/Los-Angeles-California-90017/Quadranet-Ilan-Mishan-Michelle-Mishan-George-Becerra-Chris-Gotzmann-Michael-Sanduval-1096355

Started the con game early!

• @ChrisK said:
    Started the con game early!

Whats up spammer? I appreciate your penchant for following me around, I excuse your stalking, you need an adult role model in your life.

• ChrisKChrisK Member

@ItsChrisG said:
    Whats up spammer? I appreciate your penchant for following me around, I excuse your stalking, you need an adult role model in your life.

Chris, you just came out to the world that you're 15.. Stop hosting the viagara pill sites and go back to school, maybe you and johnny can be in the same class.

• @ChrisK said:
    Chris, you just came out to the world that you're 15.. Stop hosting the viagara pill sites and go back to school, maybe you and johnny can be in the same class.

Dream along with me

• ZeastZeast Member

Why max IP is 255.255.255.255? Why not 999.999.999.999? D:<

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

@Zeast said:
    Why max IP is 255.255.255.255? Why not 999.999.999.999? D:<

because 11111111.11111111.11111111.11111111, 24 bits in 4 segments, each segment = 8 bits, max = 255.

• 0.07%..... one /13 left

• i did that, but for example in HE. you have to configure your ip

IPv4 Endpoint (Your side): blabla.myipv6.host.net
    IP is not in a valid format

i will check more at home at afternoon, thanks

• @dedicados If you can't get that to work just set your router to "6to4 Anycast Relay". It's not the best choice, but it's a single click and works without you having to configure anything.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I bet before August we see more ips come into the arin pool.

• @jbiloh said:
    I bet before August we see more ips come into the arin pool.

How many ips do you think they can recover? I don't think many. I think RIPE has something like 17million ips left.

Between recovery, give backs and iana reserve pool space my guess is a /10 by August and then another /9 by end of the year (aggregate)

• PwnerPwner Member

To be honest, I'm surprised IPs haven't been re-allocated from AFRINIC already. They've got plenty of IP addresses and no use for them.

@Pwner said:
    To be honest, I'm surprised IPs haven't been re-allocated from AFRINIC already. They've got plenty of IP addresses and no use for them.

I wouldn't rule it out.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Pwner said: re-allocated from AFRINIC

AFRINIC have no incentive to allow addresses to be reclaimed from their available pool. There are going to be plenty of people who open up companies in African countries just to get IPv4 addresses.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Africa is a place where mobile usage is booming, mobile data connections will surpass landlines if not already. They have way less internet usage so they will have use for IPv4.

I doubt afrinic will agree with any reallocation, unless IPv6 was already deployed and fully working there, just a few places needed still to tunnel for the guys which did not enable it for their services. There will be proxies to access IPv4 only sites.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@jbiloh said:
    Between recovery, give backs and iana reserve pool space my guess is a /10 by August and then another /9 by end of the year (aggregate)

What reserve pool space? You mean "class e"? (yes I know we don't use classes anymore)