Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!

NOT!

I hope everyones ready -- IPv4 ARIN is almost ALL GONE!

http://teamarin.net/category/blog/ipv4/

(that was June 2nd, and that /11 is GONE + more)

With the /11 leaving the pool, all that's left is:

>

1 /16
    1 /20
    3 /21s
    4 /22s

>

By the end of this week or so, all IPv4 will be exhausted at ARIN except for /23s and /24s.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Email Me: [email protected]
    | http://SwiftInternet.de

320TB High Bandwidth Servers on 1Gbps, 2Gbps & 10Gbps! PCCW, NTT, Psychz Network Blend (+Addtl Upstreams Coming!)

Comments

• You all think IPv4 running out is a problem? Wait till oil runs out lol.

Life is better when you're smiling

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Provider
      edited June 2015

The world is not ready to transition to ipv6

• J1021J1021 Member

SSDBlaze said: The world is not ready to transition to ipv6

Oh okay. We'll hold off IPv4 exhaustion then. /s

• @SSDBlaze said:

The world will never be ready.

Thanked by 1lifehome
    • @elwebmaster said:
      The world will never be ready.

I'm not ready either. Other than that, bless the fact that we have the ability to copy & paste on our computers. Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

• @doghouch said:
      I'm not ready either. Other than that, bless the fact that we have the ability to copy & paste on our computers. Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

All those v4 IP label on machines will not have enough space for their v6 address(es).

Thanked by 2netomx BensDaMan

Telegram Me and Arch the way out.

• @lifehome said:
      All those v4 IP label on machines will not have enough space for their v6 address(es).

True, but that kind of proves that we aren't ready for IPv6.

Thanked by 1lifehome
    • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
      edited June 2015

doghouch said: Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

Nah. I remember our subnet and most important hosts within :-).

Unfortunately for many ISPs it's still a loooong way to go...
      https://labs.ripe.net/statistics/?tags=ipv6
      http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• Is anyone thinking as soon as it's "depleted" they will go, "oh.. we found some more IPs in the back closet, here you go everyone!.. oh you want a /24? here have a /19 instead!"

ARIN's version of a "money grab" rather than a providers version of "IP Grab"

VirtWire Global - APNIC Member

• @doghouch said:
      Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

Imagine if there was a system that resolves easy to remember names to IPv6 addresses! Oh, wait...there is this DNS thing...

Just suck it up guys, time to break up with the stone age. All my devices are on IPv6.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

I am quite convinced that IANA will step in and provide more space to ARIN, and others.

Jon Biloh - ColoCrossing.com
    • Life is better when you're smiling

• My ISP doesn't even give out IPv6 addresses yet, probably never will...

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Way to go ARIN!

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • rm_rm_ Member
      edited June 2015

AutoSnipe said: Is anyone thinking as soon as it's "depleted" they will go, "oh.. we found some more IPs in the back closet, here you go everyone!..

You can already observe if this has happened at RIPE or APNIC. And nope it didn't. At best, you can hope to buy address space from other providers and companies, at ever-increasing prices.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
      edited June 2015

The OVH IP scam is you pay a $3 one time "setup fee" for each IP

How to clean up a questionable reputation: throw the kids some BF/CM offers.

• ATHKATHK Member

@SSDBlaze said:

Funny you mention that.. One of the biggest ISPs in Australia doesn't even support IPv6 for Customers.. Only businesses...

• @ATHK - iiNet is doing this with me now, they want me to upgrade to business plan to get IPv6, Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile. BUT... the NBN = 0 IPv6 connectivity as far as I can see..

• AutoSnipe said: @ATHK - iiNet is doing this with me now, they want me to upgrade to business plan to get IPv6, Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile. BUT... the NBN = 0 IPv6 connectivity as far as I can see..

Had to upgrade to business to get a static IP too. So much for that.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • concerto49 said: So much for that.

Yep, i think it was around $40/m difference (for the same bw etc, just with static IP + IPv6). and in my area, where the internet is constantly going down.

Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

• ATHKATHK Member
      edited June 2015

AutoSnipe said: Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile.

Nope, no IPv6 for residential .. I'm a customer .. been asking for years.

At least not in my area. But businesses .. are fine no matter where they are.. which is total bs.

• @ATHK - ahh fair enough, all i know my parents have it, when i went over and visited them over easter, they must have sprung for SOHO more then likely then.

It's not enough to say we have horrible connectivity world wide and pay outlandish amounts for internet with pretty crap bandwidth allocations, but.. they could at the LEAST get with the times!

• AutoSnipe said: Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

Had no choice here. Fiber built from the start where I live. Needed the static IP for "work". Oh well. Time for plan B. I'll provide it to myself soon :p

• @doghouch said:

What about DNS or using local ipv4?

I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Provider

@AutoSnipe said:
      Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

• @doughmanes said:
      The OVH IP scam is you pay a $3 one time "setup fee" for each IP

A setup fee differs from a monthly fee.
      And the setup fee is one time.

Thanked by 2netomx BensDaMan

Life is better when you're smiling

• trewq said: I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

I don't. Still lags. Still congestion. Until that's fixed.

• nexmark said: A setup fee differs from a monthly fee. And the setup fee is one time.

Until they start charging again.

Prager-IT e.U. | /24 Subnets for 50 Euros per month

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
      edited June 2015

@hostnoob said:
      My ISP doesn't even give out IPv6 addresses yet, probably never will...

Same with mine and I'm sure they never will transition. They gave me a free v4 IP just for the asking though. I'm probably the only one that knows what that is around here and everyone else in the valley is on the same single IP.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Provider

@trewq said:
      I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

There's a lack of NBN FTTP (before Liberal) or even FTTN in WA's northern suburbs. It's sad, only ADSL2+ is available.

• wychwych Member

linuxthefish said: I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

Yep, VM missold me on my new internet and told me I have IPv6, they finally admitted they have no ETA for a rollout either.

Taking a hiatus.

@wych if you need a tunnel to VM I can help you out :).

Thanked by 1wych

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• I found it funny that businesses can get ipv6 but not residential customers...
      In Romania it is the other way around, residential customers can get it at any time at least from RDS, while businesses not, because it is "experimental". I had the difficult choice to move to a business plan for a fix IPv4 but in the same time losing IPv6... So, no, I got another connection for that, and routing IPv6 over the old RDS one.
      TBH, IPv6 SHOULD come first to the end users which will then demand to businesses, in the end offering cheaper access IPv6 only with a paid add-on for ipv4, for example. Sadly, only one debian mirror here supports ipv6 and it is not much better in other countries, while ubuntu is much worse than that.

Thanked by 1netomx

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

Maounique said: "experimental"

Have you told them they've overslept 6Bone ? :-)

• It is experimental since 2011...

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• UrDNUrDN Member

@Maounique said:
      It is experimental since 2011...

Ridicule, at orange.fr it's experimental since 2006 :-)

www.urdn.com.ua - KVM/Qemu hosting in Sweden.

• MattKCMattKC Member

My isp finally turned on 6 last week...they are still rolling out some markets (they cross 22 states but are a smaller isp with bulk in midwest/south).

Well. All major transit carriers support IPv6 already. All major IX support IPv6 already. Since RIRs are assigning IPv6 addresses they are not experimental.

It's a good excuse to avoid spending 5 figures+ USD on network equipment per router, but... They'll have to do it anyway, at some point.

• @linuxthefish said:
      I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

We'll probably get IPv6 support in like 2020.

Sky are interested in other things right now, like this shit

I bet when we do get IPv6 support, we'll only get a single IPv6 IP too, not a /64

And then when websites ban /64s like they should, we'll all be fucked.

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

For home ISP in the UK I recommend Enta.net and their partners (if you are looking for a partner just PM me, we have existing relationship with them and will happily arrange something for you). Full IPv6 support (/56) for ADSL and FTTX, static IPv4 or subnet if needed.

• rds100rds100 Member

I am not aware of any residential ISPs here offering ipv6. I am not aware of any residential clients asking for ipv6 either.

-

@rds100 what country are you from ?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Clouvider Bulgaria

-

edited June 2015
      Thanked by 1rds100

• rds100rds100 Member

@Clouvider indeed i just saw it on their web page. It's still not advertised anywhere, in commercials, etc. But i am glad at least they have added it as an option.

-

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
      edited June 2015

RDS did not advertise it either, apart from participating in ipv6 day some years ago. It does not sell, few people know about it, even people from sales at RDS itself. I asked about the business plan I had with some company i worked for, they said no, I only have one IP, not 6, when asked about IPv6, in spite of the fact that the contract mentioned 8 IPv4. Any moron can work in any company at sales, even if they have no idea about the products they are selling.

Thanked by 2rds100 Shade

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
      edited June 2015

My brilliant ISP is "feverishly working on deploying IPv6" since 2006. Every status update so far (happens about once a year) was "we're still working hard on it", "it's on our radar", "we're going to deploy it soon™"... Atleast there's Tunnelbroker/SIXXS... :(

SnapServ Mathis - Your cheap and reliable RIPE Sponsoring LIR. Use coupon code LET2017 to get a recurring discount of 10% on our products!

For me, one of the main factors when selecting home broadband was IPv6... But maybe I'm just too nerdy.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

@Clouvider said:
      For me, one of the main factors when selecting home broadband was IPv6... But maybe I'm just too nerdy.

My guess is that probably puts you in the minority. But that's ok!

Jon Biloh - ColoCrossing.com