Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spare Online.net Dedibox SCgen2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spare Online.net Dedibox SCgen2

hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Hi all,
Got a spare Online.net SCgen2 until the end of the month. Anyone want me to run anything on it for them, or got anywhere that may need the bandwith that I could donate until the end of the month? Any ideas that I could do with it?

Thanks
Harry

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I would not give it to someone else, the only time I have done that the server was used for spam after a while..

Online.net has outsourcing but then the person can order Windows licenses and possibly IPs too that get charged to your credit card -_-

Tor takes 2-3 months to pick up speed. Things like boinc are overly complicated and I don't think the via nano cpu will be of much use anyway..

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I would not outsource the server, just provide root access and make sure that I check up on the box every so often

• Dirty IP risk is probably higher on LET giveaways.

At least make sure you're placing it in the hands of someone with some rep here.

• What disk size does it has? The 1 TB or 500GB SHDD one? If 1 TB would you interested to outsource the SC2 to me?

Thanked by 1cause
    edited June 2015

It has the 500gb drive. As I said earlier, I would not be willing to outsource the server, just provide root access on it. PM me

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If nobody else has a need for it, any spare capacity would always be welcome at ArchiveTeam :) Make sure to drop into IRC and ask if there's anything in particular that a server is needed for.

@joepie91, even though the server will only be around until the 1st?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

@hawc said:
    joepie91, even though the server will only be around until the 1st?

Yeah, the ArchiveTeam infrastructure is pretty distributed. While some things like ArchiveBot require longer-term server availability (3+ months), there's also lots of 'Warrior projects' - consider it a voluntary botnet of sorts, that gets archival tasks handed out by a central tracker.

So you can just run it for any amount of time, and have it complete any amount of tasks. Plus sometimes servers are temporarily needed for offloading or accepting data - "I have 300GB of data that I need to put somewhere for a week until I get around to processing it" kind of stuff.

I'm sure that there's a purpose it could be used for, if you ask on IRC (or just run some Warrior scripts) :)

EDIT: But yeah, while server resources are always welcome for ArchiveTeam, there's already a bunch of other servers as well. So if somebody else needs it more, give them a chance first :P

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @joepie91 said:
    server resources are always welcome for ArchiveTeam,

Excellent ! I found Docker images here:
    http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=ArchiveTeam_Warrior#Alternative_virtual_machines

• @vimalware Didn't know they had Docker images. Thanks!

Re opening here to say that I now have a spare Dedibox MD sat here, after my move to OVH