Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No the internet didn't break, the cloud is just raining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No the internet didn't break, the cloud is just raining

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited October 2012 in General

Reddit, Coursera, Flipboard, FastCompany, Foursquare, Netflix, Pinterest, Airbnb, Github, Minecraft [1][2] currently (in parts) down due to the Amazon cloud in N. Virginia being broken

Just in case anyone is wondering why nothing works anymore

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

Netflix and Github are fully working for me. But I noticed Reddit was down a while ago and still keep trying to get on it :(

@gsrdgrdghd said: Foursquare, Pinterest

THE HIPSTERS WILL DIE!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @AsadHaider said: Netflix and Github are fully working for me

For me too, i just quoted it from the news article. Maybe it has also something to do with the location of the end user.

@AsadHaider said: THE HIPSTERS WILL DIE!

Good.

• Hall also...

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Netflix

I've actually been doing work because Reddit is down. :(

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

Not just Hall but apparently the whole Rackspace site too. Were they using Amazon?

Edit: Never mind it's kind of working again. Also issues with their Virginia DC?

• This is exactly why these cloud solutions of all hosting in one provider basket is a very bad idea.

Amazon has other locations with the same services. Was the outage just geographic for users nearby to Washington, DC (where outage was) or did it impact all users of these sites?

It's a small outage, but surely a pile of money lost on transactions.

Never been impressed with these sorts of solutions other than from a no to low cash outlay when getting started .

• Amazon sucks, honestly. Their are so many other enterprise providers who have much better track records than Amazon. Not sure why they are still the standard.

• @Zen, am I right that those sites were dragged offline just because they used a single Amazon location?

Almost seems with something like Amazon that they should build the redundancy to another datacenter into the pricing and warn you heavily if you elect not to have such. Self inflicted outage if so.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Sigh.

"Cloud."

Second large outage in a few months. The average uptime of Amazon services is lower than that of any of my VPSes, as far as I can tell.

Need I say more?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @joepie91 said: The average uptime of Amazon services is lower than that of any of my VPSes, as far as I can tell.

• Amazon are doing something no-one has done before, operating at a scale most of us could dream of at a level of discipline/automation most providers are nowhere near. The problem seems to be one of complexity and cascading failures when one thing goes wrong. Customers that fail to multi-source cloud services for important stuff likely lack a decent architect.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • craigbcraigb Member
    edited October 2012

@zen AWS do offer the pieces to build in redundancy but leave it to their ecosystem to bundle that stuff (although AWS slowly eats the smaller providers simply by baking their ideas into the platform). There's some very solid players that help with this but always seems to take an outage for cloud customers to realize they need it...(yup, plenty of misselling in the cloud space but to be fair Amazon never claimed or advertised 100% uptime)