Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry

Comments

• @Lee said:
    VPSBoard has badges, under names it says "verified provider", the verification carries no more weight than a badge on WHT.

Those aren't badges, they're unimposing strings of text. Suggesting their similarity to WHT's obnoxious, graphical "CORPORATE" monstrosities is silly. I'm sure the weight they carry is lighter too seeing as how their appearance doesn't cost anything.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • @Jar said:
    My white whale!

LET is the best I've seen for legitimate reviews,

• LET: The Jaws to @Jar's Moby-Dick.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I would just like to make it clear that I have no strong opinion on WHT other than they clearly aren't up for banter.

My previous comment was purely to see if I could get a like from @Dillybob 'for the lols', which I achieved.

Thank you all for your time.

• Nekki said: My previous comment was purely to see if I could get a like from @Dillybob 'for the lols', which I achieved.

Well done gal!

• @Traffic said:

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

My previous comment was purely to see if I could get a like from @Dillybob 'for the lols', which I achieved.

Thank you all for your time.

WHT is a serious concern and not something to be taken lightly or jokingly. I genuinely thanked your post because it meant something to me and my beliefs. If you were just joking around playing games with me, that's fucked up.. whatever.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Dillybob said:
    WHT is a serious concern and not something to be taken lightly or jokingly. I genuinely thanked your post because it meant something to me and my beliefs. If you were just joking around playing games with me, that's fucked up.. whatever.

Aww, now I just feel bad :-(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have the urge to write a browser extension or greasemonkey script that makes everyone on WHT appear to have a CORPORATE membership.

• @raindog308 said:
    I have the urge to write a browser extension or greasemonkey script that makes everyone on WHT appear to have a CORPORATE membership.

And here on LET.

• @Traffic said:
    And here on LET.

After an initial prototype by our esteemed VP of Graphic Design, Janey Nubadges, LET is proud to announce Corporate Membership.

for immediate release - let has corporate member badges

• emgemg Veteran

@DillyBob - Sorry, TL;SWA1M (stopped watching after one minute).

Can you summarize your video in just a few bullet points? Some people are curious about what you have to say and a summary of your main points would be a helpful start.

edited June 2015

emg said: Can you summarize your video in just a few bullet points? Some people are curious about what you have to say and a summary of your main points would be a helpful start.

All of their corporate benefits are a sham except for the ad-posting limit being reduced to 3 days instead of 7. Also, go to HostingCatalog.com for the lulz. It's a disgrace to the hosting industry, Bear is a hypocrite that supports the corporate title and sees nothing wrong with it because it's a essentially a 'donation' to him.

WebHostingTalk is losing members drastically throughout the past years (see screenshots on my youtube description). And new data from VPSBoard is now showing Jon (GVH) received his Corporate tag for free. Otherwise known as free gratis corporate tiles aloft. Which is a slap in the face to current corporate members on the forum and future ones.

Also, the corporate tiles are misleading because there is no QA or background checks done on companies so anyone can pay $1,400 and get a 'corporate title' and become 'WHT trustworthy', which is an abomination for new visitors and even your potential clients. It's a disgrace and their community leadership is not a leadership, but a cult. They are old, grumpy people running that site that are only their to receive their pension that they never got to get legitimately by having a normal job. Instead, they take advantage of the hosting industry with their ideologies and suck in as much money as possible with zero customer relationship management or compassion towards their community.

Not only that, but they charge $250 for your sticky to be syndicated to 'twitter'. And $1000 for a sticky thread, and another couple hundred for making it bold. They also moderate outside of their jurisdiction. And to finish it off, look at Francisco for example, you don't need a silly corporate tile to be successful. You can do much more with your money with $1,400 (not including accumulative sticky prices, etc).

(This is just the main points basically) -- Could go into detail on each one, but meh.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Stupid people do not know they are stupid, you cant fix that.

Yes its expensive as hell and lives in the 90's as far as its mentality towards the hosting industry is concerned, most of us have thought the same thing as you in regards to the attitude of the WHT staff and WHT prices but seriously.... no one is forcing anyone to do anything, no one is being held at gun point.

While they don't do any specific vetting they dont make any claims of it either but they will act when a bad host is pointed out (GVH, Hostrail to name a few), being annoyed at them for doing anything else is like being annoyed at a TV channel for advertising a sub par product, they do it because they get paid and expect people to employ some degree of common sense.

It is not a problem you or anyone else can or will fix it will just slowly die, no need to lose any sleep over it because it is already happening.

WHT never claimed to be a democracy yours or anyone else's opinions are not invited, wanted, or considered by anyone at WHT and never will be, just let it go.

I have premium membership because frankly about 4 - 5 years ago when I started posting there it was worth having, and by that I mean the return on investment, and honestly it probably still is but if it was gone tomorrow I would not lose any sleep over it either.

Dillybob said: except for the ad-posting limit being reduced to 3 days instead of 7.

That is the primary benefit and years ago it was very much worth it, not now, WHT wont evolve, it will die it will just take a hell of a long time.

Anyway its a well made video but you could have spent your time doing something a little more productive and positive.

• emgemg Veteran

@Dillybob said:
    (This is just the main points basically) ...

Thank you. That was very helpful.

I have a different perspective. I am a VPS end user (and not a provider). My VPSs are learning tools, intended to host my own personal domains, run tests, do a little development, etc. I do not host any of my customers on them. That is why I like low cost, low end VPSs. My VPS budget is for "education", not running a business. I have minimum standards, and I expect VPSs that stay up. I also expect a reasonable level of support if there is a problem on the provider's side. I learned a lot from my BlueVM experience and the experiences of others regarding a few well-known bad VPS providers.

I look at WHT, LET (LEB), and VPSBoard as resources to help me become a better administrator and find solutions to problems. In addition, I like to contribute to those communities, to help bootstrap others who are learning too. That is what a community is about.

There may be better resources for end users like me, but I have not found them yet. If you can suggest better online communities centered around VPSs for people like me, please recommend them.

• Dillybob said: (This is just the main points basically)

He said summarize, not transcribe.

Thanked by 1raindog308
    edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: It is not a problem you or anyone else can or will fix it will just slowly die, no need to lose any sleep over it because it is already happening.

WHT never claimed to be a democracy yours or anyone else's opinions are not invited, wanted, or considered by anyone at WHT and never will be, just let it go.

I have premium membership because frankly about 4 - 5 years ago when I started posting there it was worth having, and by that I mean the return on investment, and honestly it probably still is but if it was gone tomorrow I would not lose any sleep over it either.

I do appreciate your criticism and thoughts. I'm going to respectively disagree with you though. Tell me, just one benefit (outside of the ad-post reduction time limit), that you use on WHT that is beneficial towards your company. That's how I originally wanted my video to be, but then the more I learned and talked about how all these benefits (Ad-Post on HostingCatalog.com really?) I just made the assumption (and I have every right to) that they're just misleading you. I'd say save your money next year and spend your money that you used to spend on WHT on something else and I think you'll be surprised. Just my 2 cents though. I know it's hard to try to view it from that perspective as you're already shoulders deep with WHT and are an active supporter, but I ask try to come out of that 'WHT I'm a premium member, it's the best for my company persona' thing, and post the ads every 7 days and use the rest of the money on other different ad streams, or however you want. Honestly, I'll think you will be surprised. You know that the offer sections are extremely saturated and for you to pay $1000 for a sticky thread and $200 more for bold tiles only for your topic to be seen is just outrageous. Do you honestly believe those prices are reasonable?

And yes, they are a 'private entity' and can do whatever they want. They are NOT a public service and you're right people do NOT have to sign up for them or even visit their website. But, as a basic human right we should be able to express our opinions about any company for any reason. They are not exempt of criticism just because they are a business or a 'private' entity. That's why I like L.E.T for them letting us express my feelings here. That's how WHT should be.

I'm going to back to the Quick-Start guide that's included in the benefit. Someone that is already successful doesn't need that. If an entrepreneur is starting out, do you honestly believe they can afford $1,400 a year + other sticky thread prices, etc? Heck no. Now, this is just my opinion, but really think about their benefits and how they really offer nothing.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2015

Fair or not, if there are idiots willing to pay these prices, why not. It's their money and their right to waste their own money the way they want.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob relax a little there buddy. You seem to be a bit too angry, smashing your keyboard won't resolve the WHT situation.

edited June 2015

rds100 said: Fair or not, if there are idiots willing to pay these prices, why not. It's their money and their right to waste their own money the way they want.

100% True, but I'm just trying to shed light on how they are being deceived and the benefits that do come with the tiles are indeed worthless. I'm honestly just trying to do a service to current subscribers / hosts that use WHT to see if I can get them to look at it from a different perspective.

GIANT_CRAB said: @Dillybob relax a little there buddy. You seem to be a bit too angry, smashing your keyboard won't resolve the WHT situation.

Ha, not angry man! I just woke up. I just have very, VERY mixed and deep feelings about their benefits and strong opinions about them. And quite honestly, I think my arguments are pretty well convincing. But, when you're already shoulders deep in a company paying this amount of money (And the accumulative money you've spent frm years before) it's hard for people too actually look at it from an objective stand point.

• How ironic... a few days after this thread was created to bash WHT, WebHostingTalk.com is down.

WHT Down

• LeeLee Veteran

It's up for me.

• @Lee said:
    It's up for me.

Down here.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Down from amsterdam as well.

• Down from the UK too

• 17brownj17brownj Member, Host Rep

Down for me also

• LeeLee Veteran

Seems up and down, although not sure why this thread would have anything to do with it @ub3rstar.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I quite enjoyed your video! Kudos!