Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it common for technical support to ask for root password?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it common for technical support to ask for root password?

Hey everyone,

I never had a support personal ask me for my root password of the VPS - is this normal?

I am asking because I think its not common or right - but I could be wrong.

Comments

• What are you trying to have fixed? How can they fix it without access?

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Its normal only if they NEED it to help with whatever you need help with.

• StevieStevie Member

@ItsChrisG @SSDBlaze
    I always thought they had vnc access or something.

But my problem is I can not connect to SSH on my vps and I just tried to ping it and nothing ether.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@Stevie said:
    ItsChrisG SSDBlaze
    I always thought they had vnc access or something.

But my problem is I can not connect to SSH on my vps and I just tried to ping it and nothing ether.

If thats the case they surely would need your root password to check network configuration in the files of the OS, if improper they're fixed or else they'll do a little troubleshooting session.

They don't always have VNC access. With your problem, I'd say they want it to try to login to your VPS but they should first just see if they can connect before asking for your root password.

@ItsChrisG is right, sometimes people don't want to give it to support but they need it to help in some cases

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • J1021J1021 Member

Be sure to paste it into their super duper secure WHMCS ticket system for them.

• StevieStevie Member

@SSDBlaze @BharatB @ItsChrisG

Ok thanks guys - just found it weird is all (Never had problems like this)

SSDBlaze yea it looked like he just asked for password first before anything so I was like huh?

@Stevie said:
    SSDBlaze BharatB ItsChrisG

Ok thanks guys - just found it weird is all (Never had problems like this)

SSDBlaze yea it looked like he just asked for password first before anything so I was like huh?

Yeah, some companies ask for it upfront so they don't have to worry about it later. I don't like to do that cause I know its private information so I ask for it only if its required.

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • StevieStevie Member

@kcaj

lol, I did it to, but something is wrong, I do not understand how I am still getting connection issues even when I reinstall the VPS OS. lets see what happens - if anything I will reinstall the OS and change passwords

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2015

If it is running OpenVZ, the company should be able to access it directly using "vzctl enter (server_id)."

Apart from that, I'd suggest that you change the password to something temporary and change it back to your original password after the technical support completes their task.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2015

I wouldn't mind them asking for the root password to be honest.

In fact if I opened a ticket and they went snooping in my VPS (even to fix it) without asking that would probably annoy me.

If possible I would change the root pass (in SolusVM if you can't access SSH) to something like "temppass" (example) and then change it back after they're done.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2015

doghouch said: Apart from that, I'd suggest that you change the password to something temporary and change it back to your original password after the technical support completes their task.

^^ This ^^
    Not unusual when trying to figure out network/connect problems with a KVM VPS. When trying to see what you see.

@hostnoob said:
    I wouldn't mind them asking for the root password to be honest.

In fact if I opened a ticket and they went snooping in my VPS (even to fix it) without asking that would probably annoy me.

If possible I would change the root pass (in SolusVM) to something like "temppass" (example) and then change it back after they're done.

Wouldn't it be more easy to just use "passwd" ?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2015

@BharatB said:
    Wouldn't it be more easy to just use "passwd" ?

Yeah but that was an example aimed at the OP as he said he couldn't access SSH

Updated my comment anyway :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I ask it as a proof the customer authorized me to check his VPS, no matter if OVZ, KVM, whatever. I make it clear in the request they should change it after the intervention in any case.
    This only if it is not absolutely clear the customer authorizes me to investigate, for example when they specifically ask it in the ticket.
    Otherwise, while I have VNC, for example, in KVM, still need the root password or to change it in order to check stuff, simply mounting the disk may not suffice. With VNC you can boot in single user mode and change the pass, but this may not be what the customer wants, even if the intervention is required by them.

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2015

Most of the companies I use will ask for root password, not a big deal to me because I can just change the password after or set a temp one.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited June 2015

"Privacy" in 2015... Good luck

• If OpenVZ: Solus console. If KVM/Xen: VNC.

If you can't get in through one of those, then you forgot your root password and shouldn't be allowed to use a VPS ;)

• StevieStevie Member

@mikeyur

If you can not read or understand a 3 line thread you should not reply ;)

@mpkossen Please close this thread I got my answer - thanks everyone.

• ATHKATHK Member

Who uses passwords these days anyway...

• StevieStevie Member

@ATHK

Yea I know I should have that key file method thingy - :-/

@Stevie said:
    ATHK

Yea I know I should have that key file method thingy - :-/

Do you need help setting up ?

• StevieStevie Member

@BharatB No thanks I am just so tired and can not think straight - thanks though.

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • It's always best to ask for the root password as just using vzctl enter and fixing the problem shows that no matter what you can always enter their VPS without their permission.

It also gives in writing that they have given you permission to login to their machine, so you can't come back with saying you didn't give them permission.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rethinkvps said: It also gives in writing that they have given you permission to login to their machine, so you can't come back with saying you didn't give them permission.

This is the key of my thinking.

• rokokrokok Member

No, technical support will install backdoor on your vps, next time they just terminate your vps and blame you for send ddos or abusing the resources :)

This discussion has been closed.