Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a cheap dedicated for two months - 32 GB RAM - SSD disks and a decent CPU - and several IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a cheap dedicated for two months - 32 GB RAM - SSD disks and a decent CPU - and several IPs

myhkenmyhken Member
edited June 2015 in Requests

Hello.

I'm is working on a little project, with Windows 10 upgrade. I have found out that I can create VMs with Windows 7/8/8.1 and then get the free upgrade offer.
After I found out that you really get Windows 10 Pro Retail if you are using a Pro/Ultimate license (7/8/8.1) it got very interesting. I have allot of keys from some old (and new) MSDN and Technet accounts, and all is retail keys, and all get the free upgrade offer within 24 hours after I have created and updated the VM.
But I need to keep the VMs to after 29.July so I get the actually Win10 key.

I want a dedicated server with a decent CPU, but more important a fast HDD (or several HDDs). Using a normal HDD, let me create two VMs at the time, but then it go slow.
I can see that it's the disk Windows VM is using most under the upgrade phase.

So, can anybody offer me a decent server with SSD disk(s) that I can run Windows as a OS on (so I can use Hyper-V) and with data disk(s) that is SSD or really fast disks?
I also need around 4-5 IPs (one for the main OS, then 4 more to make 4 VMs at the same time). What will be the best price for such a setup?

I'm using a Xeon E3-1245v2 today with 2 normal Enterprise disks (2 x 3 TB).

Each VM is using from 18-25 GB. And I will create as many as I can. After I get the free upgrade offer, I can turn the VM off, and then use the same IP on a new VM.
So a 120 GB SSD is not enough. Maybe a 240 GB SSD.

Disk speed is the main thing here, and at least 32 GB of RAM.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Slightly off topic but I wonder, can you actually reuse the Windows 10 keys on a fresh installation again or is the offer good for as long as the installation sits in place?

• Jar said: can you actually reuse the Windows 10 keys on a fresh installation again or is the offer good for as long as the installation sits in place?

Depends on the key you could run the VAMT tool to check

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:
    Slightly off topic but I wonder, can you actually reuse the Windows 10 keys on a fresh installation again or is the offer good for as long as the installation sits in place?

Pretty sure it's just an upgrade and you won't even get a separate key. So I've no idea what OP's trying to accomplish.

Thanked by 1jar
  • SadySady Member

See dacentec, they have an offer available with 240GB SSD.

• @myhken - Delimiter has suitable units. What is your budget? This will determine the CPU type.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@Jar said:

Actually, as soon I get the key, I have a fully working Windows 10 Pro Retail key, that can be used on any computer I want, but only one at the time. (normal 10 online/15 phone activation keys). Thats of course if you only use Retail keys on the VMs. After I have got the keys, I can destroy the VMs. (reed more here about retail and OEM Win10 upgrade)

TarZZ92 said: Depends on the key you could run the VAMT tool to check

That only work on MAK/KMS keys - not retail keys.

socials said: Pretty sure it's just an upgrade and you won't even get a separate key. So I've no idea what OP's trying to accomplish.

Read the link I posted over in this post. As long as I'm using Retail keys, I gets new Win10 retail keys. Therefor the effort, since I have hundreds of Win7/8/8.1 keys from different MSDN and Technet accounts I own or have owned. (but the keys is still usable since they last for life)

MarkTurner said: Delimiter has suitable units. What is your budget? This will determine the CPU type.

I can get a "slow" server at Hetzner for €32/mo with 2 x 3 TB disks. And when I have the time I can create 4-6 VMs per day on a server like that.
    So it has to be cheaper then that. Maybe a SSD disk to create the VMs on, then move them to a slower normal disk after, so maybe a server with two disks in it?

It can't be to pricey, since I then actually will pay allot for the free Win10 upgrade.

Thanked by 1jar
  • myhkenmyhken Member

When I start thinking about it, maybe just use Vultr/DO or even better Iwstack (since I can save money turning the VMs off after I have got the free upgrade offer).
    Will test making a couple of VMs on Iwstack now.

• sepeisepei Member

How todo this?

• i don't think this is possible, since your retail key is being locked to an exact machine. I could be wrong since M$ is always full of loopholes

• myhkenmyhken Member

@belinik said:
    i don't think this is possible, since your retail key is being locked to an exact machine. I could be wrong since M$ is always full of loopholes

Did you read my link in the previous post? If you use a RETAIL key on a computer/laptop and/or VM and you get the free upgrade icon (like I do on every VM I have created) and you take the free offer, the Win10 key will be linked to your Win7/8/8.1 key and not the hardware. Then you get a Windows 10 Retail key. That key can you use on any computer, not having to have Win 7/8/8.1 installed before you install Win10.

So it's possible to do. If the person from Microsoft has his fact in order.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@sepei said:
    How todo this?

Have lots of Win 7/8/8.1 retail keys laying around, that you can use for this :D (like me)

• sepeisepei Member

@myhken said:

check. then make a vm upgrade it until the windows symbol appear and then upgrade and then how I get the win 10 retail key and how I can activate this key on a other computer

• myhkenmyhken Member

@sepei said:
    check. then make a vm upgrade it until the windows symbol appear and then upgrade and then how I get the win 10 retail key and how I can activate this key on a other computer

That will first happen after 29.July, so you have to let your VM rest to the 29.July, then use the Icon to start the upgrade process. Then we just have to see when you get the key, and if you can make a .iso of the files you download (MS say that you can make a .iso, so then the key is the only unknown thing here.) But you will get a key, since MS says that you can do a clean install on a empty disk, and you can't do that without a key.

• We can offer you a custom server with lots of different sizes of SSD to choose from. Open a support ticket here: https://w3hostingservices.com/submitticket.php and we can assist you in exactly what you need for a competitive price.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@W3HostingServices it's something wrong with your SPAM BOT picture, it's empty and I only get a PHP error when I try to see the image.
    So I can't submit any ticket.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

somehow I never received the upgrade offer :(

• myhken said: That only work on MAK/KMS keys - not retail keys.

it work's for retail keys too. i use it for mine

• myhkenmyhken Member

TarZZ92 said: it work's for retail keys too. i use it for mine

Can I see a screen shot of that? I'm using VAMT 3.1, and can't see how many activation is left on my retail keys. It have never work on any VAMT up to 3.1.
    So I like to see a screen shot of a VAMT showing remaining activations on a normal retail key.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

You know, I'm thinking for the length of time you need this, go all out on this bad boy:

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-md

Two months of it runs you...what...the cost of one license by itself?

Certainly this would be fine: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken said:
    W3HostingServices it's something wrong with your SPAM BOT picture, it's empty and I only get a PHP error when I try to see the image.
    So I can't submit any ticket.

Strange, please try again now!

• myhkenmyhken Member

Had it not been for the setup fee. I can get a server @Hetzner for €58/mo with no setup fee with 240 GB SSD and 2 x 3 TB.
    But for now, I will use my dedicated server I allready have with Hetzner, and just make a couple of VMs per day.
    Maybe stop, and wait to after 29.July to see if all the info I have is correct. If not, all work will have been for nothing, if I just get OEM licenses, or if the license is tied up to the VM.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@W3HostingServices now it worked ;)

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • DH22DH22 Member

I don't understand why it would be so slow. Are you actually installing Windows over and over again? If so you should just install once without entering any key. Then keep cloning that VM.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

Of course, cloning does this job much more easy. Can't understand why I did not think about that before.
    Now it's takes 10 minutes per new VM with the upgrade offer.