Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps or dedicated providers that deliver download speeds as given isp package
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps or dedicated providers that deliver download speeds as given isp package

I use a package of 8 mbps isp.

if I download a file from filehippo.com, filehorse.com, softpedia.com speed only 3mbps

in contrast to when I download files from google drive, archive.org and storage.rcs-rds.ro velocity reaches 8 mpbs.

is there a VPS or dedicated server provider who owns the server such as archive.org or storage.rcs-rds.ro ?

Comments

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited June 2015

Your distance away from the server can affect your download speed.

To keep it simple, you need a VPS / Dedicated machine closer to you geographically.

• Not only that, but using a proxy that has low latency and good peering to your location which also has good international routing will help immensely with this. It sounds like your ISP likely uses very cheap peering for most locations to save money, thus why you only get high throughput to some locations and you don't to others.

This isn't an exact science and there isn't an exact answer either (unless you work or know the network well enough to know their best peers). You just need to do the needed network tests and find something that works well for you and use that to proxy your traffic so that you can realize your full speed to locations which don't have as good direct routing to your location.

Cheers!

• bugisbugis Member

I was in Indonesia, even though I downloaded from the server Indonesia was never up to 8 Mbps.

while archive.org are in usa, storage.rcs-rds.ro is in romania, the download speed reaches 8mbps

is there a vps or dedicated server provider similar to archive.org and storage.rcs-rds.ro ?

Budget $50/month

• cociucociu Member

@bugis i just send you a PM we have peering with rcs-rds up to 30 gbps

• You need to find out where the bottleneck is. Is it your ISP? Is it something else? Even if they own both services it might not fix the problem, especially on a low budget.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • bugisbugis Member

@cociu pm sent....

whether there are providers vps or dedicated else ?

• @TheLinuxBug summed this up perfectly. What may be happening is your ISP has better peering for one transit/backbone over another. For example, your ISP may have better peering with Level3, so a VPS provider who uses Level3 for your IP/ISP will more than likely enjoy higher throughput.

To gather the necessary network data, I would suggest the following:

1. Initiate downloads from the providers that max out your connection (archive.org and storage.rcs-rds.ro)
    2. Traceroute the domain/IP that the download has used (it may be download.archive.org, etc)
    3. Try to find a common transit/backbone.
    4. If you find that they share a similar peering, then look for a VPS which uses the same peering/routing for your ISP.
    5. Repeat steps 1 - 4 for services with slower download speeds. If the transit differs from the quicker providers than you've found the problem. If the transit is the same, then it will be a lot more touch and go (you'll need to download test files via the VPS providers to double check).

It's not an exact science but it should get you closer to your goal. However, your ISP may change the routing in a few months (mine has many times), so you may find yourself repeating the above.

Important: I advice before purchasing, that you test the providers network by doing a traceroute (or mtr), and downloading their test files. Just because a provider mentions good peering to your ISP, doesn't mean that's always the case.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Keep in mind that archive.org runs their own infrastructure - own datacenter, own network PoPs, everything.

Your best bet is probably to use something like bgp.he.net, and look into the peering that the Internet Archive does. They run the same network for the entirety of their operations, so it should hopefully give an accurate idea of who you can peer with for good speeds/latency.

Running a traceroute to archive.org and seeing what carriers it runs over, is also a good idea. Then you can just do traceroutes to provider test IPs, and if the carriers are the same, you should usually get similar performance.

• bugisbugis Member

This is the result of tracert archive.org and storage.rcs-rds.ro from my isp

archive.org

storage.rcs-rds.ro

is there a vps or dedicated providers that use such peering above ?

ip & link download test please ?

• I know Voxility has a location in Romania, there's some Voxility providers on lowendbox.com if you search for Romania and there should be test IPs on the offer