Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mount Cloud Storage as Local FS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mount Cloud Storage as Local FS

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'd like to subscribe to some amount of cloud storage (say, 1TB) and mount it so it appears as a local FS...like nfs or something. Prefer Linux but could do it on Windows.

I am not looking for a "sync" option...in other words, I don't want to consume 1TB locally so I can mirror 1TB to the cloud. I just want to mount some big blob of cloud storage as a local FS and then copy/delete/modify files on it.

Suggestions? I could do either roll-your-own like sshfs + VPS, or some kind of cloud service. I would like it to be reasonably durable so I don't have to worry about it, so was thinking more of a cloud service.

Some people on that other board mentioned Hubic...I haven't found the English version of their site yet :-) And frankly I'd want something that has reasonable support.

Thanked by 1faultyservers

Comments

• raindog308 said: I haven't found the English version of their site yet

https://hubic.com/en/

Regarding support - every time I needed them they were quick.

• @raindog308 - We do this for external customers with s3fs. Its pretty fast. You can also make files available publicly for http download.

• @raindog308 The hubic one isn't the best from my testing. Right now I'm trying to find something solid that will work with OpenStack Swift - aka what Runabove uses - so if anyone has figured that out, let me know. Only $0.01/GB/mo https://www.runabove.com/storage/object-storage.xml

Unrelated:

@MarkTurner Did the Delimiter S3-compatible service ever launch? Never got an email about it.

• @Mikeyur - We have a few Openstack / Cloudstack customers in our Atlanta site using our S3 service for objectstore. They also use our NFS storage for the datastores.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think s3 is marvelous...but very expensive. 1TB a month would be $10/month which isn't bad until you also have to pay 9 cents a GB to get stuff out.

I'm aware of Glacier which I may look at, too.

Chiefly I want to store stuff that I don't use much but don't want to get rid of, as opposed to buying more hard drives for home.

• @Raindog308 - I didn't say Amazon S3 :) I meant S3-compatible. PM me and I'll run through it with you.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

mikeyur said: The hubic one isn't the best from my testing. Right now I'm trying to find something solid that will work with OpenStack Swift - aka what Runabove uses - so if anyone has figured that out, let me know. Only $0.01/GB/mo

So "only" 20 times more expensive than hubiC, what a deal, wow. Even storing the 2.4 TB that I currently have uploaded would cost $24/month, not 5 EUR. By all means do continue thinking hubiC is not the best, but for fucks sake stop saying your replacement is "so cheap" at "only" 0.01/GB.

• @rm_ said:
    So "only" 20 times more expensive than hubiC, what a deal, wow. Even storing the 2.4 TB that I currently have uploaded would cost $24/month, not 5 EUR. By all means do continue thinking hubiC is not the best, but for fucks sake stop saying your replacement is "so cheap" at "only" 0.01/GB.

Who got your panties in a twist?

Where did I say it was cheaper? I said I was personally looking for a good solution that worked with Runabove and I listed the pricing (and linked to the pricing page).

Thanked by 1J1021
  • +1 for hubiC

• @mikeyur - PM me and I'll get you sorted out with something locally to test.

• CrogicCrogic Member

I'm interested in something like this. Can this be achieved with Hubic?

• KupolKupol Member

Yes it can be achieved with Hubic, but it kinda sucks as there is a filesize limitation which is around 8GB~ iirc.

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • CrogicCrogic Member

@Kupol said:
    Yes it can be achieved with Hubic, but it kinda sucks as there is a filesize limitation which is around 8GB~ iirc.

I want something that I can just mount like a Local Disk/NFS.

• Kupol said: Yes it can be achieved with Hubic, but it kinda sucks as there is a filesize limitation which is around 8GB~ iirc.

no file size limit for hubic (maybe via the web interface though)

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • CrogicCrogic Member

@TarZZ92 said:

I'll try it out
    Thanks

• KupolKupol Member
    edited June 2015

@TarZZ92

There is a file size limit with HubicFS due to CloudFS it uses. You can find plenty of evidence on this forum made by @rm_ for example.

Here is the post. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/993957/#Comment_993957

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2015

Stablebit have just launched the Beta of their Cloud drive software, although it's windows only :-(

Doesn't support hubic yet but they're looking into adding it.

https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive

I keep meaning to give it a try, already use their Drive Pooling software which is quite good so if that's anything to go by then they've probably done a reasonable job building it.

• Kupol said: There is a file size limit with HubicFS due to CloudFS it uses. You can find plenty of evidence on this forum made by @rm_ for example.

i've never come across that before. i use hubic to save my acronis images and they appear to be fine.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

Linux: You can find a lot of FUSE implementations on various GitHub pages by googling for them - some are stable, some aren't. Just start by picking a cloud first, I don't know any multi-cloud solutions for Linux.

Windows: You could try NetDrive, ExpanDrive or CloudDrive. The first two work quite well with some quirks. Never tried the third product so far, but as it's from StableBit, the product is most likely a high quality one.

And if you should ever look for a reliable sync solution, I can recommend GoodSync, uploaded several TB to my cloud storage without any hassles. The difference to usual cloud clients is that you can configure a lot of things, e.g. you can delete the files locally after uploading them successfully, without deleting them on the cloud storage of your choice. (-> one-way sync)

• NeoXiD said: I can recommend GoodSync,

Goodsync has been pretty good for us during tests.

• Google Drive can be mounted as FUSE.

MEGA: Megafuse

Onedrive: A fuse is available, but not stable.

Hubic: A fuse is available.

• amhoabamhoab Member

Also, don't forget about Amazon Cloud Drive. There are ways to mount it in Linux, although performance is unsurprisingly not the best.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Any "cloud" out there which exposes block devices?

iSCSI-like, I could do with CIFS or even NTFS if I have to. I can always install my own, but too much hassle and recently deleted one because I forgot it was in that specific VM and destroyed it :(

EU only, US would have too high latency.

• FYI the latest CloudDrive beta now supports Delimiter/Yomura ObjSpace service, if you are using ObjSpace give it a go and send me some feedback

• spammyspammy Member
    edited April 2016

@MarkTurner said:
    FYI the latest CloudDrive beta now supports Delimiter/Yomura ObjSpace service, if you are using ObjSpace give it a go and send me some feedback

Sorry for reviving this "dead" topic but may I know how do you connect it to Objspace? I can only see the option to connect to S3 but there is no place you can specify the URL to point to Objspace.

Edit: According to my Google search the answer is still a "no" so far:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1693-amazon-s3-compatible-storage-providers/

• AmitzAmitz Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Goodsync has been pretty good for us during tests.

Same here in real-life usage during a year now. One of the very best sync clients that I came across.

• bookstackbookstack Member
    edited April 2016

How the storage is exposed?

• Behind a web server? -- webdav
    • S3 interface -- I bet there are several softwares can mount s3
    • block device? -- Maybe iSCSI?