Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

iscsi - What determines the lag?

iscsi - What determines the lag?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited October 2012 in General

I am thinking of setting up an iScsi target to increase the hard drive space on one of my Windows VPS and just wondering what measure I should use to see if I would have lagging issues later on, is it the ping between 2 VPS (target and the client) that matters or some other measure that I could use to find out.

I used to set up one with an AdvantageCom VPS as the target and an KiloServe VPS as the client, although both were on the west coast, I had so much lag that I basically could not run any program installed on the target from the client....

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

Tagged:

Comments

• iscsi is for the LAN, not for hundreds or thousands of kilometers.

-

• It does work, I mounted a target in Romania from Italy and also made a few backups, but running programs... That's a negative to quote a classic still alive. M

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• iSCSI is over TCP which means it is limited by the speed of a single TCP connection. Which is limited by the RTT * tcp window. My guess is that NFS over UDP would work better in your case. No idea if it can be done with windows though, i am not a windows guy.

-

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member, Provider

@rds100 said: No idea if it can be done with windows though, i am not a windows guy.

There is a native NFS for Windows from Microsoft for a few years now, it is painful, frequent disconnects, slow performance, about what you'd expect from Microsoft.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
    Thanked by 1rds100
  • @miTgiB both client and server?

-

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member, Provider
  • Lame :) But what would you expect from Microsoft :)

@zhuanyi tried regular windows share / network drive connect / samba / whatever it is called?

-

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited October 2012

So what would be the recommended way to get a network drive set up on a remote Linux VPS?

Samba is good but for some reason some of the Windows programs would not recognize Samba mount as a local drive, which could be a pain as some programs are only allowed to be installed on a local drive.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

• @zhuanyi try samba if the client is windows.

-

• @rds100 said: try samba if the client is windows.

Ya, except that Samba mount won't be recognized as a local drive by Windows :(

• Mount CIFS on a local (LAN) VPS/server, then export it as something else. M

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.