Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best linux monitoring tools?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The best linux monitoring tools?

JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

I am searching for some web-based tools to monitor my server's performance including load,bandwidth,error log, etc. It would be better if it support email and sms and even work for small vps.

I found some, nagios, munin, zabbix, and many more. I hope you guys which used most of those tools, can helpnme choose which is the best

Comments

• What about NewRelic - their free system monitoring tools are quite helpful

Thanked by 1sin
  • @MarkTurner said:
    What about NewRelic - their free system monitoring tools are quite helpful

Nice thing. Pretty and easy too.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Would you like to host it yourself? Or would you like to use it as a free service?

NodeQuery and NixStats are pretty cool, they offer free plan.

• I prefer simple solutions like Linux Dash. Might be not that powerful as old munin, but pretty user friendly.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited June 2015

@comXyz said:
    Would you like to host it yourself? Or would you like to use it as a free service?

NodeQuery and NixStats are pretty cool, they offer free plan.

I tried nodequery. Pretty nice. But I wanna try another alternatives. Host on my own or use it as a service, would be no problem for me.
    NixSats need invite code? I dont have one

• @dimon222 said:
    I prefer simple solutions like Linux Dash. Might be not that powerful as old munin, but pretty user friendly.

Can I have master account which I can monitor all servers there?

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited June 2015

@psycholyzern said:
    NixSats need invite code? I dont have one

Use the invite code LET

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ArchieArchie Member

My experience
    ·NodeQuery: Simple, easy install. Email notification. Free account has a limit of 10 nodes.
    ·NixSats: One command install for all servers. Consumes more than 100m mem for single server, donnt know why so much. Email, sms and url notification. No server number limit. Powerful customized status page. Can not define alert policy individually for now.
    ·NewRelic: Service behind big company. Powerful but still has small bug for example disk usage. Email notification.

I'm using NodeQuery but it has no support for months while I want to upgrade my account. If NixStats has small resource usage as NodeQuery I will switch to it maybe.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Archie said:
    My experience
    ·NodeQuery: Simple, easy install. Email notification. Free account has a limit of 10 nodes.
    ·NixSats: One command install for all servers. Consumes more than 100m mem for single server, donnt know why so much. Email, sms and url notification. No server number limit. Powerful customized status page. Can not define alert policy individually for now.
    ·NewRelic: Service behind big company. Powerful but still has small bug for example disk usage. Email notification.

I'm using NodeQuery but it has no support for months while I want to upgrade my account. If NixStats has small resource usage as NodeQuery I will switch to it maybe.

There are some issues with the agent running on Centos 6.x. The python agent is almost done and should resolve the issue and add more monitoring support.

The agent will use a bit more resources compared to for example nodequery but in return you will get a lot more accurate stats with min/max/avg per minute.

Thanked by 1Archie
  • ArchieArchie Member

@vfuse said:
    The agent will use a bit more resources compared to for example nodequery but in return you will get a lot more accurate stats with min/max/avg per minute.

Yes I have noticed NodeQuery push data every 3 minutes comparing NixStats every one minute. I have played around NixStats for hours today and reported some bugs. The service is really powerful and impressive. Looking forward to more coming release.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • @vfuse said:

Why not offer a lite version for lower end servers?

@aldothetroll said:
    Why not offer a lite version for lower end servers?

The python agent will run on modules, you can choose the modules to enable as well as the interval of data collection (every x seconds).

Right now data is collected every second, with the new agent you can change that to every 5 seconds for example.

I still have to test the python agent on servers with less than 512MB of ram. Probably test it later this week with 256MB of ram and might give 128MB instance a try tho not really sure if it's worthed.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vfuse said:
    I still have to test the python agent on servers with less than 512MB of ram. Probably test it later this week with 256MB of ram and might give 128MB instance a try tho not really sure if it's worthed.

Just signed up today.. :)

Thanked by 1vfuse

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Just signed up today.. :)

Cool, let me know if you need any help or have feedback bugs, you can post in this thread.

• collectd with collectd graph panel

• @vfuse said:

any end-of-life date for bash collector and corresponding endpoint support?

• I use Nixstats for all my systems, caught our providers restarting VPS hosts in the middle of the day to fix things. Moved those systems to new providers who don't do that nonsense.

Thanked by 1vfuse

@vimalware said:
    any end-of-life date for bash collector and corresponding endpoint support?

Bash style agent will still work but will not be updated. Trying to make the transition as smooth as possible, testing install script on several distributions right now.

Thanked by 1vimalware