Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Client's PC can not understand the new nameserver's IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Client's PC can not understand the new nameserver's IP

DragonDFDragonDF Member

Hello guys,

I do not know if this happened with you before.

After a migration of a server (cpanel to cpanel) a few domains of the client are redirecting to the old server, yet.

If he goes to a new PC he can access the new Cpanel's control panel (new server).

This problem is happening only with .COM domains. All '.com.br' domains are perfect.

In CMD (prompt) I tried to suggest him to use the command: ipconfig /flushdns

Not solved the problem.

In browser I asked to clear all browsing data. He tried in Opera, IE, Chrome and none worked.

Basically: the problem is in HIS PC. The way his PC understand the DOMAIN as an IP.

How to solve this problem? Is there any other place to clear this kind of info in WINDOWS?

Thank you!

Comments

• NihimNihim Member
    edited June 2015

eh I am sure there are people in here more qualified to help you with this since I am just a user but you could (manually) check the windows hosts file and remove the entry for the domain that still resolves to the old IP.

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/how-do-i-modify-my-hosts-file

• Just to be clear:

In his PC:
    DOMAIN > nameservers > old IP

Any other PC which did not visit his domain:
    DOMAIN > nameservers > new IP

:)

• PwnerPwner Member

Have you given it 24/48 hours time for the DNS servers to propagate to the new IP? Some cases may take as little as 5 minutes while others can take the full 48 hours before the changes appear.

• Check here: www.whatsmydns.net

• Lol @ your Signature!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Try with another ISP. Some are caching the dns afaik

• wychwych Member

Mod his hosts file till the ISP or router flushes its cache.

• How about using Google DNS or maybe proxy? Will that work?

• @Nihim

Yes, I imagined it, too. I think this will solve the problem. There is not how his PC see any other IP if you insert it in HOSTS file (windows>system32>drivers>etc>hosts). Thank you!

@ Pwner

In fact there are almost 5 days the propagation started. How I wrote, it is working fine in others PCs, except in his own PC. I can see myself the new server's content. He can too if he uses any other NEW PC.
    Thank you!

@aggressivenetworks

Thank you for your suggestion.

@ChrisMiller

It is good to know you are alive. That problem started when you sold K-Disk to that 'guys'. They are with my MONEY and my last and actual backup, yet. I hope they (and you) can live for a loooong time.

@sdglhm

Hi, I think the problem is not in ISP. How I wrote, the domain is working in all others PCs, except the client. I think with the HOSTS file setup it will work.

@wych
    Yes, I have already suggest him it. Thank you!

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    How about using Google DNS or maybe proxy? Will that work?

I think the problem is concentrated in his PC. If he update the hosts file I think it will work. Thank you for your suggestion.

• Yes, the problem is SOLVED.

He updated the HOSTS file and is redirecting to the new server's IP.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Thread can be closed.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe the router is caching the request

• DragonDF said: Hi, I think the problem is not in ISP. How I wrote, the domain is working in all others PCs, except the client. I think with the HOSTS file setup it will work.

Just for future reference of anyone else - if the problem is isolated to only 1 computer on the network.

Since this is Windows, just open an elevated command prompt (right click and run as administrator)

Then enter the command (no quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns"

This is to clear the DNS cache on Windows systems.

• @PandaRain said:
    Then enter the command (no quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns"

OP Indicated that they actually tried this and it didn't work. May not have been ran in administrator mode though.

• Yes, you are right.
    Maybe the prompt was opened not as ADMINISTRATOR.

Usually people will click: START > CMD (enter) and use prompt.

(y)