Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex gets encryption
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• This is great, but I have to say, it's long overdue, people have been requesting this for years...

• Mark_RMark_R Member

not like it gives plex users any more privacy.. they all still have to go through the myplex service...........

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    not like it gives plex users any more privacy.. they all still have to go through the myplex service...........

Clearly it does give more privacy, just not total privacy.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@Nekki said:
    Clearly it does give more privacy, just not total privacy.

ok

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2015

You can now serve the site under your own SSL by the looks of things though, so it's possible all those hacks to bypass myplex might be slight easier to implement and get working.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@Nekki said:
    You can now serve the site under your own SSL by the looks of things though, so it's possible all those hacks to bypass myplex might be slight easier to implement and get working.

the fact that you have to apply hacks just to get rid of myplex would just demotivate me to support this particular software, better use software that doesn't try to force it down your throat and support that. either way we all have our own prefferences, i respect that but in this particular case i cannot see why i even try to.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    the fact that you have to apply hacks just to get rid of myplex would just demotivate me to support this particular software, better use software that doesn't try to force it down your throat and support that. either way we all have our own prefferences, i respect that but in this particular case i cannot see why i even try to.

In my case unparalleled device support, basically.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2015

@Nekki said:

dont you find it kinda ironic/hypocritical that they mention 'NSA wiretapping' at https://blog.plex.tv/2015/06/04/its-not-easy-being-green-secure-communication-arrives/ yet they register everything through myplex, what information could be being silently shared through this service might be more than you could imagine.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Mark_R said:
    dont you find it kinda ironic/hypocritical that they mention 'NSA wiretapping' at https://blog.plex.tv/2015/06/04/its-not-easy-being-green-secure-communication-arrives/ yet they register everything through myplex, what information could be being silently shared through this service might be more than you could imagine

To be fair, that remark is very much tongue-in-cheek. I didn't read that as something to take seriously, personally.

Now I get for some people, privacy must be absolute and that's cool. Everyone decides what's more important to them, and if being able to watch whatever you wish with absolute certainty than no-one else knows about it is what you're after then Plex is totally not the way to go.

My counter argument to that would 'what can they actually share?'. I pretty sure that I'm at a greater risk in terms of elements of my personal information being shared from services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video than I am from MyPlex. Both of the former have my personal details and know exactly what I'm watching and when I'm watching them.

That's an awful lot less than Plex have. A MyPlex account requires the barest of personal information, none of which is verified, and at most they can tell that a file called X was streamed from a server's IP to another IP (and the device type that it was played on). On top of that, Plex clearly have a vested interest in not sharing personal info, as if they do (and get found out) then that's them dead in the water. Obviously that's not to say they wouldn't or couldn't be compelled to at some point, but if they did I'm pretty comfortable they couldn't share anything of any actual value.

Maybe you could say I'm taking a bit of a gamble, but for the convenience Plex affords me, and the data they could actually divulge, I think it's a reasonable trade.