Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How backupsy is working
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How backupsy is working

HWAYSHWAYS Member

Hello
I need for some solutions to backup my websites and VPS.

One solution would be backupsy.
Do you have any idea how is working ?
Is there something to be installed on the server to be backed up. Is there any admin area? Is it automatic ? Can I restore the backup ?

I would be glad if you point me to some resources.

Better than this if you have some cheaper storage solutions please tell us as well.

At the first sight backupsy isn't cheap at all, at least for me.

Thank you.

Comments

• HWAYS said: Better than this if you have some cheaper storage solutions please tell us as well.

KVM 500GB $7/month

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Those are backup VPS!

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • I think Backupsy is just a KVM VPS, and you need to use your own backup solution (rsync, BTsync, etc.)

How much space do you need?

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

yes. I would be interested in backup services...

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

@hostnoob. I am not so sure on this. As I saw on their help desk they might have some agents that have to be installed as well.

On some screenshots I saw a sort of admin area as well....

• wychwych Member

Backupsy is a KVM Storage Server, they also offer R1Licenses IIRC.

You buy a backupsy and then configure it to backup however you want.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited June 2015

Backupsy is just a vps with big storage allocation, hence suitable for storing backup data. To backup your data itself, that would depend on what are you trying to backup. Is it website? Files? Databases? Are you using certain control panel? Generally you create backup data on your server, e.g. mysql dump file, compressed archive, etc., then transfer and keep your backup on these high storage VPSes.

• @HWAYS said:
    hostnoob. I am not so sure on this. As I saw on their help desk they might have some agents that have to be installed as well.

Link to the helpdesk article?

On some screenshots I saw a sort of admin area as well....

Probably screenshot of their VPS control panel, something like SolusVM, but IIRC they developed it in house. It has nothing to do with backup functions.

• @HWAYS As mentioned, that is the guide to R1Soft, and you have to purchase a license if you need it.

Backupsy sells KVM VPSes. What you install on it is your choice. I use my own bash script to backup my stuff. Some panels have their own mechanism. I've never used R1Soft.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • Depending on how much storage you want, Ramnode does some nice SSD-cached plans with a lot of space.

There's also Vultr, BuyVM and @drserver does some nice offers on storage plans sometimes.

• If you want a backup service, this is Delimiter's R1Soft backup (it includes the software license):

http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/r1backup/

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

Interesting Mark. What does Agent means ?
    If I have to backup 2 different servers I need 2 agents ?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@HWAYS backups has a 40% off for life coupon at the top of their website; 40PERCENT

Their nodes are RAID protected, unlike some other offers you may come across.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

RAID50, which is cool.. I've got a 500GB box at backupsy since the past two years..never had a downtime.

• HWAYS said: Interesting Mark. What does Agent means ? If I have to backup 2 different servers I need 2 agents ?

1 agent per server, so two servers = 2 agents but they can share the same pool.

The storage backend is all NetApp storage (fibre channel).

That link I gave you lets you get 100GB and 1 agent for free to test for a month. So give it a go without any risk.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • If you're not advanced enough , stick with the traditional backup services such as crashplan or dropbox.

• PwnerPwner Member

@dlaxotn2 said:
    If you're not advanced enough , stick with the traditional backup services such as crashplan or dropbox.

I wouldn't rely on Dropbox too much, I was getting Error 500's on their site a few days ago when I needed to access a file I had uploaded on there. Lucky for me, I had the file backed up on Google Drive as well and had no trouble accessing it through there. Though Dropbox was giving me errors for over an hour.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

@MarkTurner: Thank you for http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/r1backup/
    It works perfectly. Also the team was fast enough and got free one month to try it.
    The speed is great so far.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @HWAYS - Thanks for the feedback. Let me know how you get on. Delimiter's R1Soft setup is quite nicely done, all 10GE so hopefully should be rocket speed.

• @HWAYS what kind of vps are you trying to backup? Just so you know R1Soft does NOT work with OPENVZ

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Chalipa said:
    HWAYS what kind of vps are you trying to backup? Just so you know R1Soft does NOT work with OPENVZ

@HWAYS said:
    MarkTurner: Thank you for http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/r1backup/
    It works perfectly. Also the team was fast enough and got free one month to try it.
    The speed is great so far.

Looks like the OP has found their solution.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We provide R1Soft powered backup options too! How much space do you need?

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

I started with 100 GB but i need 3 r1soft agents

We can do that in London for £12 / month. Is that interesting for you?

• Backupsy offer an R1Soft solution as well Afaik, either you can buy the licenses and setup your private R1Soft instance or backup to one of their servers.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

@cloudvider: this is much more than my delimiter current offer.

• andrewnandrewn Member
    edited June 2015

@Clouvider said:
    We can do that in London for £12 / month. Is that interesting for you?

Can you provide R1Soft licenses for £1 per agent?

• @andrewn - R1Soft charges more than that per license and most of the people who have entered into contract with R1Soft/Continuum as a service provider are explicitly prohibited from reselling licenses.

@andrewn Unfortunately we can only offer a complete backup solution.