Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoltVM IP Changes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BoltVM IP Changes

DeanDean Member
edited June 2015 in General

Just received this:

Hello Dean,
Your services with BoltVM have a new IP address assigned to them within the next 30 minutes (all nodes, except Lightning in LA have been completed). Your old IP address will no longer function once the un-announcement of those ranges propogates. We expect this to take 12 - 48 hours. To get your new IP addresses, please log into the client area, go to your services and under "Configuration" click "IP(s)". Your old and new IP address will then appear in a dropdown menu.

We are sorry for the lack of advanced warning, this was due to a major oversight due to distractions caused by the failing health of a family member. We are migrating over to ColoCrossing's IP space for a few weeks, until ARIN assigns us our own IP space (we are still working on insuring we get the proper amount of IPs from them).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. And again, I do apologize for the lack of notice. I apologize to clients who have received multiple e-mail notifications, but we wanted to get out notice as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Steven Finkiel and the BoltVM Team

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That's sounds very professional. Temporary move.

Thanked by 1Joshua80
  • lol... 30 minutes notice hope nobody hosts anything serious with this joker.

and another IP swap in a few weeks?

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited June 2015

I've been sitting here refreshing the panel to get the new IP for one of my VMs, which hosts a couple fairly important sites. Not thrilled with 30 mins notice..

Why he couldn't work out a deal with Crissic to hold onto those IPs for another month or two until he received his allocation, I'm not sure.

Going to move the sites to Wable over the weekend.. 30 min notice on things like IP changes is not cool.

• good idea, premium wable bundle #3 with powerboost.. has some SERIOUS heft!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Lol wut? 30 minutes notice for a change of IP to then change again in a few weeks?

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Sooo I'm being given a blacklisted IP address now in place of my current clean one?

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • @JoeMerit Have one for the company and a personal account, just never got around to moving these sites.

• JoeMerit said: lol... 30 minutes notice hope nobody hosts anything serious with this joker.

Try reading the email again. The IP will be assigned within 30 minutes. You have 12-48 hours to update your DNS. Not ideal, but cut him some slack. He admits it was a mistake:

"this was due to a major oversight due to distractions caused by the failing health of a family member"

mikeyur said: I've been sitting here refreshing the panel to get the new IP for one of my VMs

Login via SSH and do an "ifconfig". You'll see the second IP once it's assigned. Easier than control panels.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

ouch, hope the family member gets well soon; good luck with the IPs change, not a fun process to go through while keeping everyone happy.

• @sleddog said: Login via SSH and do an "ifconfig". You'll see the second IP once it's assigned. Easier than control panels.

Got them a minute after I posted and made the rounds to update DNS.

@sleddog said: The IP will be assigned within 30 minutes. You have 12-48 hours to update your DNS.

12-48 hours, or however long until the un-announcement propagates - which means it has started or will soon. IP changes happen, but usually the new range is brought up and you're given a week to a month to make changes while both are up. There may be a few people who get screwed over by not noticing that email today.

Service has been great so far, this is just really uncool in my book.

• Yeh got the same, not the best thing to see but shit happens I suppose.

• mikeyur said: IP changes happen, but usually the new range is brought up and you're given a week to a month to make changes while both are up.

Yeah. That's where the "major oversight" comes in. As a provider it's a screw up. But family health is always the No. 1 priority. It's a risk you run with a small-scale provider. Everyone knows that, right?

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • What VPS and location is this? I have lightning VPS in LA but no such email or IP changes. Only few nodes perhaps?

• RizRiz Member
    Thanked by 1Steven_F
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2015

Someone made a good point on VPSB. Steven_F wasn't too distracted by these 'health issues' to post offers on the weekend.. amongst other things!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

30minutes notice is just about right...

i remember catalyst gave us about a month or two to migrate our ip space, and i just did it on the last day last hour maybe. so i think 30 minutes notice is much better because you won't forget to switch, which is a danger when host gives you so much time instead

Thanked by 2ryanarp Maounique
  • @jcaleb are you for real?

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Oh, found the email on Email History on WHMCS. Checked the VPS and it has another IP added. Not sure where the email stuck, it just doesn't reach my inbox or even spam folder.

Thanks to the thread I could update DNS zones in time.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited June 2015

This is not thirty minutes notice, it's 12 - 48 hours. I hadn't finished the last node, which would be finished ~50 minutes later (took a bit longer than I expected) to get them all done.

The other change will luckily be on our terms and we'll be able to give a minimum of 7 days to switch over.

@mikeyur said:

Here's the full disclosure.

This was my fault, I take full responsibility, however we are working on fixing this as quickly as possible. There is no immediate downtime and clients will hopefully have enough notice to update their DNS information.

I do apologize, we tried to work with Crissic to get a little bit of time. Here's the full story: I was overdue on the invoice by a month. He wanted full payment ($1,200), which I told him I wouldn't be able to pay him fully until next week, however I could have taken care of most of it today.

During the time that the invoice came in/was created, I was dealing with my aunt being put on hospice, as well as other familial health problems. I was distracted, so I didn't really notice the invoice or the overdue notice. I'm not making an excuse, just explaining what happened. I take full responsibility for this flub-up, I did ask him to work with me to not screw over our clients. Unfortunately, (and I'm not blaming Crissic), they decided not to and I got the notification from upstream that they had received the LOA revocation. So, I had to scramble and now we're here. Unfortunately, we don't have our own IP space yet. This is because I've been distracted with a mass familial health problems. Like, my aunt can't die in peace, no! Everyone else has to one up her, we're a competitive family. Now, we're being forced onto ColoCrossing's IP space until we get our own space. One block we received is on the SBL, unfortunately it's a /24 which is mostly used, but all of our other IPs are clean.

Anyone who needs a clean IP, please open a ticket. I will purchase an additional smaller block to insure no one is completely messed over by the switch. Unfortunately, they only had dirty IPs to cover this node in its entirety. ( @Rob92 )

@DalComp said:
    What VPS and location is this? I have lightning VPS in LA but no such email or IP changes. Only few nodes perhaps?

E-mails were sent to all clients. Please open a ticket and I'll take a look as to why you didn't get notified. We use Mandrill, so there should be some information.

@ndelaespada said:
    ouch, hope the family member gets well soon; good luck with the IPs change, not a fun process to go through while keeping everyone happy.

Thank you, its been a lot to deal with. Unfortunately, we're well passed getting well. On the bright side, she's on experimental treatment, so hopefully they'll gain some useful data and be able to help future cancer patients.

Thanked by 2Rob92 mike0000
  • J1021J1021 Member

DeanKamitsis said: this was due to a major oversight due to distractions caused by the failing health of a family member.

That's all very sad but it shouldn't have any impact on service.

This is why you don't host with one man bands. It's evident from this that BoltVM doesn't have anybody else in the team other than Steven capable of managing top level stuff. If Steven were to fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, so would your service/data.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited June 2015

@kcaj said:
    This is why you don't host with one man bands. It's evident from this that BoltVM doesn't have anybody else in the team other than Steven capable of managing top level stuff. If Steven were to fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, so would your service/data.

While I do have several employees, they simply provide support and manage the servers. Managing the business is my job. Actually, now that our IPs are from ColoCrossing, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, one of my employees could actually keep things running. Well, except Virtualizor, but we'll be off of that in the next two weeks.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

23.94.0.0/15 is listed on the Spamhaus Block List

• @JoeMerit said:
    Someone made a good point on VPSB. Steven_F wasn't too distracted by these 'health issues' to post offers on the weekend.. amongst other things!

My last advertisement, before that, was April 12 about two to three weeks before the ordeal started. But, keep up the good detective work at VPSB. I posted this offer, because I'm forcing myself to get back into everything.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

business still doing good? i mean, should customers be concerned or is this just a minor hiccup?

• @jcaleb said:
    business still doing good? i mean, should customers be concerned or is this just a minor hiccup?

As I said above, business is doing well, this is a minor hiccup for BoltVM. We've still got all of our awesome stuff planned for the coming month (Lightning, a striking in-house control and billing panel and a few other things)!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

@jcaleb said:

Do you actually think that he would say if it wasn't? I mean that would be awesome if he was 100% honest but the only way anybody would believe him is if he said "No, we're not doing good", even if they are doing great them saying they are doing great can't really be trusted. It's the same for basically every company everywhere in the world, the only time you can trust what they are saying is if what they are saying can hurt their company and even then it could still be a lie for one reason or another.

The best method to measure how well a company is doing is to look for red flags. Asking a company rep will not give you that answer.

• @Steven_F said: Here's the full disclosure.

Shit happens. I've been in that same position, fighting family members when my dad was in hospice in 2013 into 2014.

Was just not good timing, topped off my already shitty day

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • J1021J1021 Member

Steven_F said: While I do have several employees, they simply provide support and manage the servers. Managing the business is my job.

That's what I am getting at. If you vanish tomorrow, there will not be anything left for your employees to support and manage.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

kcaj said: That's what I am getting at. If you vanish tomorrow, there will not be anything left for your employees to support and manage.

That's not really unique to 1 man + a few freelance support staff companies although I appreciate that we are more vulnerable to that sort of thing, hell I don't even trust freelance support so I do everything myself and it is not a question of money.

I used to work for a company with around 30 people and if the top guy got hit by a bus the whole company would have closed because he was the financial key stone.

Even with really big companies if you have ever worked at one there are always a few key people that if they suddenly departed the shit would hit the fan.

I expect you will usually find that any VPS/dedi/hosting company with less than 15 members of staff have 1 central person that the company has no long term future without.

Hope you get sorted @Steven_F