Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much % of CPU i can use all time on public VMs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much % of CPU i can use all time on public VMs

getvpsgetvps Member

I read some comments about suspending VM's (on huge providers) because of CPU usage. How can i find out how much of CPU i can use all time? Or this is just common sense? I dont like this, i cant tell to any providers about ... "dude you can use only 4$ from my 5$, because with 1$ i want to buy more candys for my kid..". So, how works this limitatations? Where we can read about this on do/vultr/amazon/other?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Read their usage policies.

• getvpsgetvps Member

Or real solution is dedicated servers and VMs are only a illusion?

• problem is, if you blow cpu / disk i/o sky high, neighbors will be affected. It all depends on how much you use. Normal activity will never blow cpu / disk i/o

• getvpsgetvps Member

@century1stop said:
    problem is, if you blow cpu / disk i/o sky high, neighbors will be affected. It all depends on how much you use. Normal activity will never blow cpu / disk i/o

So i pay 10$ for 2.4GHz , but i need to stay idleing (with ~10% usage) with my server and use 240mhz? :) Why they not selling 200mhz servers ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's usually relative to neighbor usage, honestly. If you're not able to ensure that your application doesn't hammer the CPU you should go dedicated. VPS costs are low because people consistently do not use CPU, but if they assume everyone will at all times then costs have to go up. Thus, dedicated servers are necessary for those who are not willing or able to optimize.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @getvps said:
    So i pay 10$ for 2.4GHz , but i need to stay idleing (with ~10% usage) with my server and use 240mhz? :) Why they not selling 200mhz servers ?

that varies from one provider to another, we do not do that. I in fact agree with you on this point.

Thanked by 1getvps
  • getvpsgetvps Member

Yes , but all usage policies not tells what this 'excessive' means , (1% 10% 50% 100% all time) , So , i use 15-35% of CPU all time on Vultr (1x3.6ghz) i use excessive cpu or not?

• guess that'll depend on which vultr package it is

• getvpsgetvps Member

Maybe packages need to look something like this : "20CPU with 5% usage" - 5$ , "20CPU with 10% usage" - 10$ ... lol

• you probably won't get limitations with "abusive cores"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@getvps said:
    Maybe packages need to look something like this : "20CPU with 5% usage" - 5$ , "20CPU with 10% usage" - 10$ ... lol

The problem with being too literal is that you cannot predict usage, that's why you have to be vague. Being too literal with policy is a bad idea because someone will come along one day and nullify your policy by ruining things for everyone while technically staying within the policy, unless you just set the policy so low that no one can, in which case you shoot yourself in the foot because you don't mind people going over it but you can't guarantee people the ability to at all times. Then you lose sales to someone with a more vague policy because no one likes your policy. Sales are important, otherwise you can't exist.

It's easy to want it to be a line in the sand, but from a provider perspective you just can't reasonably offer that line so strictly.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Infinity
  • The only way you are going to get a guarantee is with something like AbusiveCores. Otherwise, the best advice is to go with a good provider. They are more likely to have decent hardware, and to balance the customers on their nodes so that everyone is happy.

Have the same philosophy with your VPS as you should be having with life- "don't be a dick, and everything will be fine".

• getvpsgetvps Member

No evilghaleon, i understand that you have to be honest.. but you need to know for what you pay.. Something like storage space.. so, i have 1GB, is 1GB not 200MB and at Christmas 700MB..and when provider have enough money and want to kill another provider i can use 1GB all time..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

getvps said: Yes , but all usage policies not tells what this 'excessive' means , (1% 10% 50% 100% all time) , So , i use 15-35% of CPU all time on Vultr (1x3.6ghz) i use excessive cpu or not?

Hosts should have clear policy's on this e.g. I use 60% of a core over 24 hours, that is the point I start asking you to control yourself, but in reality even if it beyond that as long as it does not affect others directly then it is not enforced.

I think you need to fully appreciate though that a VPS is still a shared resource environment and CPU/Disk IO should be considered for burst use not dedicated.

You pay for access to the resources they are not dedicated to you, think of it like a buss, you pay for temporary access to a seat, if the bus is not full no one cares if you decide to stretch your legs and take up 3 seats because it does not affect anyone, but if you did this on a busy bus and others were having to stand up because your taking up 3 seats then the bus driver (host) might ask you to move.

The bottom line is if you want to be able to use 100% of the resources 100% of the time you need a dedicated server and then no one cares because you don't impact anyone and that is why dedicated servers cost more than a VPS for access to the same resources .

Sure you can get super cheap dedi's with old CPU's, slow ram and single disks but personally if I just want on demand/burst/fair use resources but not 24x7 I would rather get a VPS on powerful hardware than some crappy atom or arm cpu.

• @getvps said:

Mtwiscool sold 160MHz servers on a kidechiere.

• Regarding vultr ask @kcaj

• There are offers with dedicated cpu as well. E.g. Take a look at the offer on LEB, posted on 1/1/15
    These offers got dedicated CPUs, that's why their clock is so low.