Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Ftp server on Ramnode
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Ftp server on Ramnode

Is there any guide or tutorial how to setup a secure ftp server on a 128MB VPS from Ramnode ($15 year)

Comments

• Debian

apt-get install pure-ftpd<br /> groupadd ftpgroup<br /> useradd -g gftpgroup -d /dev/null -s /etc ftpuser<br /> pure-pw useradd [yourftpuser] -u ftpuser -g ftpgroup -d [yourftpdirectory]<br /> pure-pw mkdb<br /> cd /etc/pure-ftpd/auth<br /> ln -s /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PureDB 50pure<br /> echo no > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PAMAuthentication<br /> echo no > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/UnixAuthentication<br /> echo yes > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/DontResolve<br /> /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd restart<br />

I have tried running it on ramnode 128

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • My concern is to setup on such a low end VPS

• Why don't use scp? Requires no additional packages setup, no config and is encrypted.

Thanked by 3ATHK 4n0nx linuxthefish

¦ x64Dash ¦

• NyrNyr Member

smartcard said: My concern is to setup on such a low end VPS

128MB of RAM are plenty for a simple FTP server.

• k0nslk0nsl Member, Member without signature
      edited June 2015

Yes there is, but we don't even know what OS you're on. So unless you know the procedure (which I assume you do), I'd suggest compiling and setting up vsftpd. It's more lightweight than what @hiphiphip0 suggested.

Edit:

...on another note: FTP Must Die.

@smartcard said:
      Is there any guide or tutorial how to setup a secure ftp server on a 128MB VPS from Ramnode ($15 year)

Thanked by 1cassa
    • FTP must die. SFTP is relatively better, but I'm all in favor of SCP.

Kwicero LTD
      Company no. 09475165
      KwiBill Billing Automation Software: Click here

• Just use SCP

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• ub3rstarub3rstar Member
      edited June 2015

@hiphiphip0 Instead of:

pure-pw useradd [yourftpuser] -u ftpuser -g ftpgroup -d [yourftpdirectory]

pure-pw mkdb

You could just do:

pure-pw useradd [yourftpuser] -u ftpuser -g ftpgroup -d [yourftpdirectory] -m

• @hostnoob said:
      Just use SCP

How can I setup SCP, and which Linux is good for this purpose

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
      edited July 2015

FTP is nice because you can look around and execute commands. I've put proftpd on low resource servers and it's no problem. FTP is really just an old habit for me and using it (prefer lftp and proftpd) has become second nature. I've used SCP but not enough to know how flexible and convenient it could really be. Some people here have a lot of experience so since it's recommended, I'm going to take their advise and use it for a while.

@smartcard No need to ask here. :) Why don't you just install it and try? Any Linux or BSD is good for that stuff.

• smartcard said: How can I setup SCP, and which Linux is good for this purpose

You dont have to setup scp. Just use the command.

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

• @Ole_Juul said:
      smartcard No need to ask here. :) Why don't you just install it and try? Any Linux or BSD is good for that stuff.

I tried and it is working, but I need to understand if there is proper way of doing it?

• @smartcard said:

No need to set it up, just install WinSCP and enter your server IP

Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

edited July 2015

hostnoob said: No need to set it up, just install WinSCP and enter your server IP

I'd say cd /usr/ports/shells/scponly/ && make install clean. That way you won't have to go out and buy a copy of MS-Windows. :)

O'Reilly has good instructions for using scp.

• @Ole_Juul said:

I mean WinSCP client on his desktop (I assumed he was using Windows)

edited July 2015

hostnoob said: I mean WinSCP client on his desktop (I assumed he was using Windows)

I know. :) I was just razzin you. (apologies)

(I have a thing about assuming Windows since I've never used it. I'll feel better and be more polite after coffee.)

• sinsin Member

I just use the XFTP client along with XSHELL for sftp, works great.