Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen, KVM or OpenVZ for private server? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen, KVM or OpenVZ for private server?

13»

Comments

• @pubcrawler proxmox aint free?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

it is free but offers only VKVM or ovz. It doesnt support IPv6 either, of course, on KVM that does not matter, but for OVZ is a bit hard.
    For a real vm with performance on a slightly less capable server, Xen-PV is the best imo.

• Can proxmox run openvz + kvm on the same host?

edited December 2012

Yes. I think proxmox ppl wanted to offer a mixed solution like xen has, since KVM has no PV they opted for OVZ.

• So i've tried Cloudmin GPL (Xen), complicated, doesn't really provide features i need. Tried Citrix XenServer (doesn't seem to want to work properly for me, hate the yearly license scheme)..

edited December 2012

@smooch1502 said: So i've tried Cloudmin GPL (Xen), complicated, doesn't really provide features i need.

It is one with a lot of features, what you need specifically ? Plus has Webmin too.

• @Maounique proxmox might work, assuming i can run openvz + kvm containers/guests at the same time. Will it work considering my server has only one 100 Mbit NIC?

• @maounique i ideally wanted to use Xen PV, less overhead than full Virtualization like KVM + HVM.. works good with java unlike openvz..

Yes, will not need another nic unless you have external storage like AoE or iSCSI.
    I also like Xen-PV the most for features and speed, next gen Xen is adding something that looks even better, a mix between PV and HVM.

• pylodepylode Member
    edited December 2012

@maounique Does proxmox support bridge + nat (port forward) at the same time for kvm + openvz? Thats a must.

I do not understand the question. Both KVM and OVZ work out of the box with routable IPs and you can always build a router inside if you wish to forward some ports from one vm to another.
    For example you can have an IP and build a NAT gateway inside from, say, pfsense or vyatta and forward ports to RFC 1918 (non-routable) Ips inside.

• @maounique Alright, so it basically boils down to:
    Proxmox: OpenVZ + KVM

or find other xen pv management solution

• I'm rethinking about Citrix XenServer, maybe i configured things incorrectly or something.. The only real concern is will Citrix continue to offer the free version? couldn't they just stop us from renewing it each year?

XCP is fully GPL clone of XenServer. You can use Citrix Xenserver to manage it.
    The 1.6 version has a lot of enhancements.
    However, cloudmin has LOTS of features and webmin too.
    If you are looking for features, that is the way.
    XCP/XenServer just is easier and prettier but lacks a lot of features and controls.

• pylodepylode Member
    edited December 2012

@maounique emailed provider to have reformatted back to Citrix XenServer, i guess i'll just stay with that for a while.. see how it goes

must have requested like 5 os reloads in the last few hours, my providers gonna hate me.. lol

XCP is exactly like xenserver and wont have the issue with licenses, but, meh...

• @smooch1502,

That Citrix annual renewal crap sucks. It's one of the reasons I gave up on it.

Got burnt with a system that I couldn't get the renewal to work with. Since it's a forced sort of thing, your server goes offline. Unacceptable for anything other than using as a personal toy with that renewal issue/risk.

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: It's one of the reasons I gave up on it.

XCP is an exact clone. No licensing, no nags, no going offline, no worries it may change policy.
    My only 2 problems with it:
    -not really compatible in export format;
    -not much freedom to set things without going in the belly of the beast.
    Cloudmin offers far more options and has webmin integrated, but the "clouding" itself is not free, so, XCP will scale better in some sort of cloud. Cloudstack makes heavy use of it and is one of the things we consider(ed), tho open stack seems more ready to become mainstream.

• Thanks @Maounique! Haven't tried XCP, but gives me a reason to give a look.

NP, also make sure to get 1.6 It has lots of cool stuff :)

• I ended up using Xenserver, don't think the yearly thing will bug me... will probably change panels within 6 months anyway.. haha

• Xen PV (XenServer):

root@mcejl:~# dd bs=1M count=128 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    128+0 records in
    128+0 records out
    134217728 bytes (134 MB) copied, 2.20278 s, 60.9 MB/s

1. Xen
    2. KVM
    3. OpenVZ (ew)
  • pylodepylode Member
    edited December 2012

@xBytez the only reason i don't work well with OpenVZ is because of how java works under a OVZ Container. Otherwise i probably wouldn't have created this thread.
    So:
    1. OpenVZ ( if no java use)
    2. Xen PV
    3. KVM

• Does anyone have experience with any memory issues with Oracle/Sun JRE/JDK on LXC Containers? Do LXC Containers suffer the same as OpenVZ in that respect?

• I don't have trouble with java on OVZ (2.6.32/vswap) with IBM's JRE

Should not have the memory problem. However, LXC emulation is far more rudimentary, which can be a good or bad thing, depending what you need.