Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 will be available from July 29
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 will be available from July 29

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be available from July 29, alongside a free upgrade option for Windows 7 and 8.1 users.

On July 29, you can get Windows 10 for PCs and tablets by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer, or on a new Windows 10 PC from your favorite retailer. If you purchase a new Windows 8.1 device between now and then, the Windows 10 upgrade will be available to you and many retail stores will upgrade your new device for you.

More news at Windows Blog and here at Neowin.

About Windows 10
  1. Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?87 votes
    1. Yes.
      67.82%
    2. No.
      20.69%
    3. Nah, I don't use Windows, I'm Linux user.
      11.49%

Comments

• cassacassa Member

About the reservation stuff, what if I'm already running on the preview?

• Nope. I can live with win 8.1 for some time. I might consider upgrading after some months.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Windows 10 just look weird IMO

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited June 2015

@cassa said:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own.

• The reservation executable is:

C:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe

By update:

KB3035583

Running it manually doesn't work though, I'm guessing maybe Microsoft doesn't want everyone to reserve all at once.

• Poll only for Windows and Linux users? Odd.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Poll only for Windows and Linux users? Odd.

Since news was for Windows, so......!

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited June 2015

OK. :)

4. Nah, I don't use Windows, I'm BSD user.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • cassacassa Member
    edited June 2015

@TheKiller said:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own.

Wwwieeeeh, well, I guess it's time to switch back to Linux too

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@TheKiller said:
    Since news was for Windows, so......!

OSX?

Thanked by 1stackmutt
  • TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited June 2015

Nekki said: OSX?

I could have fulfilled your wish if I could edit poll.

By the way I like your signature, well explained :P

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'll definitely upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as AMD creates drivers for my GFX Card.

• RurikoRuriko Member

yay! now I just gotta know when Surface Pro 4 comes out :)

• MrGeneral said: I'll definitely upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as AMD creates drivers for my GFX Card.

While NVIDIA has released drivers (beta) for GEFORCE Windows 10 compatible.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84233/en-us

• Windows 10 will be better than 8 version.Hope it gets good new features

• @Ruriko said:
    yay! now I just gotta know when Surface Pro 4 comes out :)

SP4 is supposed to be out before Back to School.

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited June 2015

I'll get it, but I usually wait until 6 months after the release. New Microsoft OS's are always so full of bugs.

And then there's Windows Vista, which should really be reclassified as a crime against humanity

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • ConstantVPS said: Windows 10 will be better than 8 version.Hope it gets good new features

it looks and feels exactly like windows 8 (from preview builds) with a partial start menu (totally new and horrid)

• sc754 said: And then there's Windows Vista, which should really be reclassified as a crime against humanity

providing you disabled UAC vista was not that bad.

• MuZoMuZo Member

If you want to disable the annoying icon in the taskbar:

1) kill gwx.exe from Task Manager

2) open the Task Scheduler

3) go to Microsoft --> Windows --> Setup --> gmx

4) disable both triggers

GWX stands for: Get Windows X (10)

funyuns_are_awesome said: Running it manually doesn't work though, I'm guessing maybe Microsoft doesn't want everyone to reserve all at once.

Looking at the trigger action you probably have to launch it with /tasklaunch

• NomadNomad Member

What makes me worry is not the OS but all those software we have and compatibility problems. And oh.. The update nag-ware claims the drivers for my Dell Inspiron 17R Bluetooth won't be available.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I clicked on "Learn more on windows.com" and got a 404.

Ah Microsoft...some things just never change.

Thanked by 1sc754
  • Can not wait for this update. Going to provide users with a better experience than Windows 8. Gosh do I hate Windows 8!

• They also announced pricing of Windows 10 retail.

Home edition will be available for $119 and Pro for $199.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited June 2015

I am forced to stick with Windows 7/8.1 due to no media center in 10 :(

I like Windows 8.1 but disappointing I won't be able to upgrade. The one PC I'd upgrade anyway is still on Vista, but it will depend how much it costs to upgrade Vista. Not going to pay much to put Windows 10 on an older system.

Edit: or is there not even an upgrade option available for Vista? Lame.

• NomadNomad Member

@DH22 said:
    I am forced to stick with Windows 7/8.1 due to no media center in 10 :(

Edit: or is there not even an upgrade option available for Vista? Lame.

Might be because even Microsoft accepts Vista is Lame. And it's old.

• I'll stick with Windows 7 as long as possible

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

We're evaluating Windows 10 TP since a few months at work and it's ridiculous how many things broke already. I know, I know, it's a preview, but the most basic things are still full of bugs and Microsoft is going to release it soon...

As an example, the new shiny cough start menu stopped working on a bunch of test clients (>10) and neither some solutions on the internet nor Microsoft itself was able to fix it yet. Since three freaking months.

Additionally, I hate those icons. I can't even imagine icons which are more ugly than those in Windows 10.

• @NeoXiD said:
    We're evaluating Windows 10 TP since a few months at work and it's ridiculous how many things broke already. I know, I know, it's a preview, but the most basic things are still full of bugs and Microsoft is going to release it soon...

As an example, the new shiny cough start menu stopped working on a bunch of test clients (>10) and neither some solutions on the internet nor Microsoft itself was able to fix it yet. Since three freaking months.

Additionally, I hate those icons. I can't even imagine icons which are more ugly than those in Windows 10.

Its two months from now, and I'm sure in this time they'll focus on fixing bugs and improving user experience.

I do agree with you on icons part, they need to hire someone from deviantart to make some nice icons for them, however they have polished those icons in latest build.

I think there will be another build or update soon after GA, because their will be bugs or some feature updates.

Fingers crossed.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

@TheKiller said:
    Fingers crossed.

Sure, I also hope that they're going to fix such issues. My company decided to switch to Windows 10 asap, that's why I'm slightly worried.

Thanked by 1TheKiller