Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could you suggest popular VPS brands?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could you suggest popular VPS brands?

If I need to suggest a VPS company to my boss, what are well known VPS companies out there to choose from? I could only think of Linode and KnownHost.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

DigitalOcean :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • getvpsgetvps Member

My suggestion for real business is amazon (aws).

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • You can recommend RamNode.

Thanked by 2yomero Nick_A
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I use Vultr, RansomIT and BuyVM for work... That's mostly because we are in Australia though.

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • DH22DH22 Member
    edited June 2015

AWS or SoftLayer for important websites, etc.. DO for less critical services. If needing Windows (guessing no since linode and kh were mentioned but anyway..) maybe OVH Cloud to keep prices reasonable vs AWS and SoftLayer.

edit: Probably Rackspace should be mentioned too but I haven't used them personally. Really if you want the safest 'popular' host I'd definitely go with AWS. Can't really go wrong with AWS if it is in your budget. The only reason besides budget you might not want AWS is if you need DDoS protection (then go OVH Cloud) or the BEST global latency. Their network is very good, but its not the absolute best you can get (Steadfast is excellent in USA for example. They offer VPS but I have no experience with their VPS services, only dedicated - they would be my top recommendation for dedi in USA.).

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2015

I am looking really good/popular. For example, my job is on the line if I screw up. Just VPS and not cloud as we need fixed cost

• 764664764664 Member

Linode.

• what about bytemark? never use them, but i know they sponsoring various popular foss, they must be popular too... ;)

• DigitalOcean are one of the bigger guys here and they are very, very reliable and they are only expanding and growing. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Cloud has no fixed cost? I mean, if you keep it running should maintain the cost.
    Of course, without the scams with charging for IO nobody can check, or other "overages" and all that stuff, there must be some honest ones out there.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Inertia Networks

• Linode & DigitalOcean are my go-tos. Amazon & Rackspace are both great options, but a tad pricier, and we're typically running smaller web apps and WordPress and stuff, so we just go with DO/Linode typically.

If OpenVZ is an option, check out Wable. We've been running production stuff on Wable for a few months without issues and they just added Snapshots w/ multi-DC replication and I love Incero, so definitely check them out. Can spend anywhere from $8+ and spin up multiple 1GB+ VMs in 3 US locations.

Thanked by 2jcaleb SpeedyKVM
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Rackspace. Not LE* but reliable, and no-one ever got fired for recommending them.

From memory, unmanaged starts from around £20/month.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • DH22DH22 Member

The network for Linode at their NJ locations was constantly unstable for me. That keeps me from personally recommending them. Other Linode locations I have used have been fine, so it may just be NJ that is bad. Like I'd be willing to try other locations for personal projects, but not sure I'd be able to trust them if my job was on the line for recommending them.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

what about 6sync? raindog208 recommends them

• pcanpcan Member

@jcaleb: You have the option of either stick with a big brand such as Microsoft Azure (it's cloud, but the Azure calculator will give you a estimate http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/calculator/ ), or do a bolder move and seek a smaller host to get a more personalized support and maybe (but youst maybe) shave a few dollars from the overall cost. I choose the second option and the main company websites are hosted on Prometeus. They also do premium, enterprise-grade services.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

@jcaleb clearly said he needs fixed costs. Likes of AWS won't give you a fixed cost since the bandwidth is not included.

@jcaleb what location are you looking for?

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Clouvider said: @jcaleb what location are you looking for?

US

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We utilize AWS, Azure, Rackspace and Linode, for our production servers.

Although, we're leaving AWS, and getting our instances into Azure.

Linode is a must-keep, we haven't had a single issue with their service.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • bersybersy Member

DO

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • IshaqIshaq Member

jcaleb said: my job is on the line if I screw up

You have a really nice boss!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited June 2015

if your job is on the line i would get nothing less then aws/azure/rackspace/softlayer
    as other mentioned, cloud can be fixed cost also... If you think about it hte other way, your normal VPS cost may be volatile(if you outgrown the resource you have, or overage fee).

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jcaleb said: I am looking really good/popular. For example, my job is on the line if I screw up. Just VPS and not cloud as we need fixed cost

https://www.wiredtree.com/

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Domflow oneapp. Best... I dont think somebody could beat that price/quality

• tdaletdale Member
    edited June 2015

If its that important i suggest a dedicated server. You make it sound like if you have 1 minute of downtime you lose your job.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • LeeLee Veteran

from the list of those suggested ask yourself this. Which of them will pick up the phone, whatever timezone/time of day and deal with any issues you have?

It's not always about what they provide but how they support it

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Yea, cloud might get you in trouble as cost is not fixed so not knowing the cost each month can be a big pain.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Seems not too many choices then. How about HostGator and GoDaddy VPS? They seem to be very common

• rds100rds100 Member

jcaleb said: Seems not too many choices then. How about HostGator and GoDaddy VPS? They seem to be very common

Do you really need popular, or do you need reliable? I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy anything if your job is on the line.

Thanked by 2jcaleb wych