Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outgrowing first dedicated server advice needed!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Outgrowing first dedicated server advice needed!

I've setup a server for my family to use and currently we're all on Kimsufi KS-2. A few of us would like to stream more than just music so we'll need a better cpu. My budget is ~$60 to start and if things go well possibly move up from there as needed. I could upgrade immediately to the KS-4 which has an i5-3570s or i5-2300. I am trying to snipe a KS-5A but this is unlikely. I am in the US so it will be impossible to get a SoYouStart in their Canadian data center. An option that looks promising is delimitervps. I live in GA and the HP BL260C Dual L5420 is very tempting. Is there any place I can download a file from their servers to test the speed? I've seen a coupon here for Dual L5520, but it only has 500GB which isn't enough. Is cloud storage an option? If I stick with Kimsufi should I look at hubiC? Is it better to have several cheap VPS and use something like btsync? Maybe I should just use rsync to move files between several cheap servers?

If I get a KS-4. I can keep the KS-2 and still have 2TB + $20 per month to spend on extra storage.

If I get the Dual L5420 I can add 1TB and have 2TB + $10 per month to spend on extra storage. Or 1TB + $20

If I get the Dual L5520 then I will have 500gb + $30 per month to spend on extra storage.

TLDR: Which is better for transcoding ~3 720/1080p streams i5-3570s/i5-2300 OR Dual Xeon L5420 OR Dual Xeon L5520. What do people use for extended storage?

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

the L5520 is very very low end and will be terrible for transcoding, and most old L xeon's will be, the i5-3570s is a perfect cpu for what you need.

also online's E3 CPU's are a perfect match.

"What do people use for extended storage?"

SSHFS connected to my homeserver running win2012r2

• @arcadia3go - which network in GA are you on?

Delimiter's BL260C E5420 is in stock so you can get that delivered right away.

Delimiter also has S3 type storage if you need more, or just get a larger system.

If you pay the E5420/L5520 annually then you have the option to choose double disk, double bandwidth or double RAM. That maybe an attractive option.

PM me and I'll explain.

• @dacentec have a few nice machines instock https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/ otherwise @MarkTurner is the guy you need to talk to

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

TarZZ92 said: the L5520 is very very low end and will be terrible for transcoding

Benchmarks say the i5-3570 is only 50% better, but any decent quadcore CPU (non-atom, ARM, etc) from the last 10 years will do uninterrupted live transcoding, the OP didnt say he needs to convert fast batches of tens or hundreds of movies, after all.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Maounique said: Benchmarks say the i5-3570 is only 50% better,

makes a huge difference per core of transcoding just one of those i5 cores you would need 2 or 3 of those L5520 cores.