Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use MediaFire as backup for Linux server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use MediaFire as backup for Linux server ?

loydloyd Member

MediaFire is hands down the best deal for online storage. How to use it for automated daily backup?

Comments

• Simple. Don't. MediaFire doesn't support FTP, SFTP, or any usable backup protocol.
    Why don't you get a storage VPS and mount it via SSHFS?

• blackblack Member

Also can't store single files that are bigger than 20 GB (according to their website).

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited May 2015

Never tried it but I know that something exists;

https://github.com/MediaFire/mediafire-fuse

(Mount it and just make a bash script and use a cron)

Thanked by 1loyd
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

hubic is probably the best deal. only €5 and has a archive feature rather than sync everything like mediafire.

• Lift your hands up, and place them down on hubic instead.

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2015

@TheLonely said:
    Never tried it but I know that something exists;

https://github.com/MediaFire/mediafire-fuse

(Mount it and just make a bash script and use a cron)

Thanks, I know the part with the script and cron. Mounting part looks very promising. I am installing the fuse now

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2015

I have to agree 10TB for 5 Euros per months is way better deal than MediaFire.

How "business friendly" is Hubic? Do they surcharge businesses like MediaFire or Google ?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

loyd said: How "business friendly" is Hubic? Do they surcharge businesses like MediaFire or Google ?

how would they know if you are a business ?

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2015

Well that's the other thing. They would not know.

I just installed and compiled fuse on small 512M debian vps, it went well.

In this link is better description on install process than README file: http://tuxdiary.com/2015/01/21/mediafire-linux-tools/

There is subtle changes I had to do:

$ sudo apt-get install cmake build-essential libjansson-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfuse-dev libssl-dev git
    $ git clone https://github.com/MediaFire/mediafire-fuse.git
    $ cd mediafire-fuse
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ cmake ..
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    $ mkdir  -p ~/.config/mediafire-tools
    $ nano ~/.config/mediafire-tools/config

# add your credentials in the file as per Runtime Configuration section of README

$ mediafire-shell

# output:
    #
    # using config file: /root/.config/mediafire-tools/config
    # argc = 5
    #
    # Authentication SUCCESS
    #
    # mfshell > help

Btw. shell is little awkward because you need to use the "quickkeys" instead of file names but mounting as network share works well.

For now I will use MF because I don't need 10TB. Plus I already have MF account, I don't even need 1TB. But good to know about Hubic for the future reference. Thanks everyone!

• @TarZZ92 said:
    hubic is probably the best deal. only €5 and has a archive feature rather than sync everything like mediafire.

hubiC is yhe ugliest cloud storage I've evee tried. The application is slow and resources hungry. Speeds re ridiculous: around 10 Mbps. Webapp is useless and space gets counted even if you delete everything (bug).

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Issam2204 said: hubiC is yhe ugliest cloud storage I've evee tried. The application is slow and resources hungry. Speeds re ridiculous: around 10 Mbps. Webapp is useless and space gets counted even if you delete everything (bug).

webapp is slow, but the actual upload and downloads speeds via the app are pretty much unlimited.

the resource hungry bit is because it needs to find files and changes. this only lasts a short ammount of time

• I can't speak for the Windows client. The Linux client is as I describe.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Issam2204 said: I can't speak for the Windows client. The Linux client is as I describe.

safe to assume it would be just as good

• @TarZZ92 said:

If you enjoy the service good for you. My experience was negative ;) Just my 2 cents.