Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free SSL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Free SSL

xprotoceptxprotocept Member
edited November 2011 in General

Ey

I got a webserver running at my VPS, and i once saw a website where u can get a Free SSL Cert
Does someone know that Website?

Comments

  • InfinityInfinity Member, Provider

    Use a comodo trial then switch to rapidssl I think then you get 2 years free. The other one is starssl I think or cacert. Im on my crappy phone so no links, sorry.

    Thanked by 1tattooman

    Cablestreet - London based ISP - Managed Solutions, Carrier Services, Colocation, Dedicated Servers, VMs, and more..

  • @Infinity said: Use a comodo trial then switch to rapidssl I think then you get 2 years free. The other one is starssl I think or cacert. Im on my crappy phone so no links, sorry.

    GeoTrust has disabled this in the beginning of October ;)

    €5 Enterprise VPS from Evolution Host
    SellSSL.com - Comodo PositiveSSL from $7 per year!

  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited November 2011

    or cacert.org. :P

    and http://www.affirmtrust.com/ (don't know when they'll release this)

    Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • @Mon5t3r said: or cacert.org. :P

    I had to add an exception for cacert.org to Firefox.

  • @Infinity

    that method does not work on all domains. it worked on .com but it did not work on .fr.

  • startssl.com, their SSL don't even work for their own site so I doubt it's reliable!!

  • @earl: On https://www.startssl.com/ it works for me quite fine using FF 3.6.

  • @earl green bar in ie9 from my side of screen...

  • it's the login that does not work, https://auth.startssl.com/

  • asfasf Member
    edited November 2011

    Yeah, you're right! btw. site(startssl.com) is slow like hell...

  • @earl said: it's the login that does not work, https://auth.startssl.com/

    If I can remember well, you must have installed in your system a StartSSL certificate to access that site

  • @asf

    I tried to sign up a few months back, can't recall the whole detail but essentially you get one chance to authenticate so if something goes wrong then your email is toast and you have to sign up again with a different email.. it was really frustrating!!

  • @yomero

    the problem was when you receive the link to authenticate you only have one chance to get it right, and in my case instead of authenticating it went to the ssl error page.. It's possible I didn't do it correctly.. if anyone successfully got a free SSL from startSSL maybe they can give their input..

  • @earl said: the problem was when you receive the link to authenticate you only have one chance to get it right, and in my case instead of authenticating it went to the ssl error page.. It's possible I didn't do it correctly.. if anyone successfully got a free SSL from startSSL maybe they can give their input..

    It uses your browser to generate that client certificate so make sure to use the right tool. FF is quite safe but not sure about other browsers (Chrome should work as well). Once generated you must keep it in a safe place otherwise you will have to wait for almost one year before renewing the certificate using the same email. Registering again with a different email would work though.

    Or if you do need to use the same email then you can request a revoke operation, which would cost some money.

  • danielfengdanielfeng Member
    edited November 2011

    @earl said: if anyone successfully got a free SSL from startSSL maybe they can give their input..

    I have tons of free SSL certificates with them. I've lost my client certificate once at the beginning just like you did, but ~10 months later I was able to generate a new one using the same email (they will send you a renewal link to that email).

  • @danielfeng said: I have tons of free SSL certificates with them. I've lost my client certificate once at the beginning just like you did, but ~10 months later I was able to generate a new one using the same email (they will send you a renewal link to that email).

    You have to request a cert for each subdomain right? And they have no problems issuing multiple for that?

  • @earl startssl requires you install personal certification to login, and the auth site won't work on chrome, I suggest you use Firefox :P

    €5 Enterprise VPS from Evolution Host
    SellSSL.com - Comodo PositiveSSL from $7 per year!

  • @giang said: @earl startssl requires you install personal certification to login, and the auth site won't work on chrome, I suggest you use Firefox :P

    That's the idea.

  • @herbyscrub said: You have to request a cert for each subdomain right? And they have no problems issuing multiple for that?

    I have only one cert for each domain. For multiple subdomain or wildcard certs you will need to upgrade your verification level (paid service). As long as your verification is valid you can request unlimited subdomain or wildcard certs. For EV certs I think you still need to pay extra.

  • @yomero said: and the auth site won't work on chrome

    It does work. Just install the client cert (generated in FF but you can export it). Chrome doesn't have its own certs manager like FF does so you need to install it at the system level, depending on your platform. For example, on Windows you just install that client cert via IE, and then both Chrome and IE will work.

    For generating the client cert it is recommended to use FF, just in case.

  • Wow.. just signed up again and it went relatively smooth using Firefox. I think the issue Initially was cause I used Chrome!!

  • Namecheap have them for $1.99, its not free but its the next best thing.

    The Original Daniel.

  • @Daniel

    you need to purchase another product to get the $1.99 SSL, they use to give them out for free when you buy a Domain.. I guess they stopped that..

  • @earl said: you need to purchase another product to get the $1.99 SSL, they use to give them out for free when you buy a Domain.. I guess they stopped that..

    No, but free cert for new domain registration for the first year. Always like that.

Sign In or Register to comment.