Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Reinstallation.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Reinstallation.

eastoncheastonch Member
edited October 2012 in General

Herro,

Just a query, This machine right now is started to clogg down with the amount of crap I've accumulated on it, I've got multiple issues I can just feel it; a fresh feel is what i'm going for.

My question is, is there any way I can backup my "my programs" and my "start menu"? an the likes? Since my SSD holds windows and several programs/games, while my additional HDD contains the majority of my software and steamapps, I can't be bothered to reinstall everything, so I'm hoping for a quick way to achieve what I want to achieve.

Thanks.!

Comments

• You can take a full windows backup using the built-in backup and recovery tool.

--Roel.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Uhm, doesen't that kill the part of the whole reinstallation, if you are going to backup everything?

On the other side, windoes 7 is performing extremely well, no way I am switching to windows 8, atleast for months. 21 days of uptime and works perfectely: http://i.imgur.com/1INWT.png

However I reinstall each 30 days, so I have no idea how much it can hold up actually.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

I copy stuff from my AppData folder and the steamapps folder in Steam + any extra program data (Firefox profile, etc.) and then restore it onto the new Windows install.

@NinjaHawk_Roel said: You can take a full windows backup using the built-in backup and recovery tool.

A full windows backup would also restore all the shit, so it would make reinstalling Windows to clean it out pointless.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • True AsadHaider.

• YKMYKM Member

This might be better : http://pickmeapp.com/pickmeapp

• wdqwdq Member

I put all of my Steam games onto another non-OS drive, and all of my media is on my server. That leaves me with just backing up the Users directory. I usually reinstall all of my programs using tools like Ninite when Windows has been reinstalled.

• Thanks @ykm pickmeapp looks like what I'm looking for.

Thanks @wdq for the hints :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Do what I do...just suck it up and hit format, deal with the loss later. New pc feel beats new car smell.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @Jarland. deal with it later? that you figured you didnt backup ur data and is looking for it right after you install?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Randy Well I guess since I keep vital documents elsewhere it isn't as bad for me, just a lot of downloading.

• I remember something like Norton or something to do a full backup, create a hardisk image, and we can write it in a new hardisk, and that's it, we have new clone of our current system.

But that's in somewhere in 2004 when I still have much time to do this kind of stuff :D

• Norton Ghost full partition restore with formated disk about 5 min
    Also Paragon Backup & Recovery is very good backup and restore tool
    Shadow Protect best for windows servers , central backup server for multiple networks
    Also tested from bootable USB disk flash

• I have my computer set up so I can reinstall everything in ~15 minutes. My HDDs hold all my important stuff, like movies, shows, music, steam. I also have a folder full of every program I install on my boot SSD (mumble, chrome, putty, winscp, hwmonitor, sabnzbd, kaspersky, etc). Chrome backs up all my data to their servers, so all I have to do is install everything in that one folder and bam I'm back.

I just put Windows Server 2012 (from Win7) on my desktop, and when my new ssd (current one is dieing) comes here this week, I'll reinstall it all :).