Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servermania VPS problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Servermania VPS problems

We bought Servermania's 2GB Ram VPS 7 months ago by following an advertisement on Facebook. 7 months went by and suddenly one day, out of nowhere, our VPS was terminated for spamming. We do send mass emails to our subscribers and have been doing so since day 1, but we send them using an external server not Servermania. Maybe there was an exploit that sent out all the mass emails.

Nevertheless, we accepted the termination as we were responsible for maintaining the security on our VPS and should have done better, and asked for a backup as we don't keep daily backups. The customer support agreed and asked for our FTP details. We provided them our FTP details, and it has been more than 24 hours and they have not uploaded the backup to our new server. We asked for slight leniency in the termination to be able to transfer some parts of the websites to the new server, but they have stopped replying and the last ticket hasn't been answered for 4 hours.

We are really worried as our data contains research papers for medical journal, and any loss can result in the scientific community deprived of important research. We are using this forum to bring attention of the concerned authorities at Servermania to look into the problem, as we have been down for 30+ hours and this is hurting our business. The ticket number for our request is 89276.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

If your product states terminated that deletes all data so at best if you are lucky they will have an older backup, the delay may be due to not actually being able to find even that or there is a good chance that was deleted by a cron after termination (99% sure of that if it has been over 24 hours anyway)

Really though if it is so important that the scientific community deprived of important research you should hang your head in shame for not managing your own backup's unless you specifically signed up to a plan that included managed backups.

If the emails you send contain links back to the site you hosted with servermania then the chances are the spam reports are actually related to a spamvertised website rather than direct spam (unless you actually did get compromised)

In your position I would see this as a lesson learned and move on, you are responsible for your own data, and at this point you should start working on plan B i.e. your not getting your data, if that means you have no business left at all then I am sorry to say you really only had a business sitting on a knife edge anyway.

Might sound harsh but I wish you no additional stress or trouble, sadly that is just the way the cookie crumbles when using super budget unmanaged services.

• The thing is, they have the data safe with them, as I have been told. The backup is in queue and will be processed today. They are not even willing to unsuspend the VPS for 2-3 hours, saying that I will resort to spamming again. That being said, I have surely learnt my lesson.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

Need offsite backup for data that are important to you and your clients.
    On more than one occasion I have seen the claimed backup by the host corrupted/gone/out-of-date/NA.

I hope you will get your data back.

@asfandsh said:
    The thing is, they have the data safe with them, as I have been told. The backup is in queue and will be processed today. They are not even willing to unsuspend the VPS for 2-3 hours, saying that I will resort to spamming again. That being said, I have surely learnt my lesson.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

that's good news then!