Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting Up ShadowSocks on a Mac
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting Up ShadowSocks on a Mac

geodirkgeodirk Member

I need some help setting up a ShadowSocks (SS) client on a Mac. I've got it working on a Window's PC without any problem, but getting this to work on a Mac client is eluding me.

My two Debian server's SS setup looks like this (Python version of SS with multi-port/user configuration):

{
    "server":"SERVERIP1",
    "server_port":8989,
    "local_address":"127.0.0.1",
    "local_port":1080,
    "password":"user0",
    "port_password": {
        "8380": "user1",
        "8381": "user2",
        "8382": "user3",
        "8383": "user4",
        "8384": "user5",
        "8385": "user6"
},
    "timeout":600,
    "method":"aes-256-cfb"
} 

The Window's client setup that works (http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadowsocksgui/):

{
"configs" : [
  {
"server" : "SERVERIP1",
"server_port" : 8385,
"password" : "user6",
"method" : "aes-256-cfb",
"remarks" : "SS1.US"}
  {
"server" : "SERVERIP2",
"server_port" : 8385,
"password" : "user6",
"method" : "aes-256-cfb",
"remarks" : "SS2.US"}

],
"index" : 0,
"global" : true,
"enabled" : true,
"shareOverLan" : false,
"isDefault" : false,
"localPort" : 0}

On the Mac side, I've tried two different SS Clients. Both connect to the server(s) fine, but I'm unable to pass any traffic through when I open up Safari. Here is my setup for the ShadowSocksX client (http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadowsocksgui/):

- ShadowSocks ON
    - Auto Proxy Mode (OFF)
    - Global Mode (ON)
    - Server Information:
    + Address: SERVERIP1
    + Port: 8385
    + Encryption: aes-256-cfb
    + Password: user6

I've turned off the Mac's firewall to see if that was the problem but it still won't pass traffic. I can verify that Safari's network preferences are to "Automatic Proxy Configuration" when not running and that it switches to "SOCKS Proxy" when the SS client is turned on.

I'm a Window's user so I might be missing something that is obvious on a Mac. Are there any Mac people with any words of advice?

Thanks,

Comments

• edited May 2015

I don't have a Mac but the readme states this:

You can check the logs in the Console.app. Logs beginning with ShadowsocksX: are the logs of Shadowsocks.

• geodirkgeodirk Member

@funyuns_are_awesome said:
    I don't have a Mac but the readme states this:

You can check the logs in the Console.app. Logs beginning with ShadowsocksX: are the logs of Shadowsocks.

Yeah, I've seen the logs it dumps. They are pretty sparse and are not showing anything I don't know already. As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to turn up the verbosity of the log so what is there is pretty minimal and unhelpful.