Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running my own DNS server(s) or using some 3rd party
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running my own DNS server(s) or using some 3rd party

Which would be the best option. If you have used any, please comment below. If you know something additional. Please be kind enough to add. Thank you.

DNS Hosting poll
  1. Please vote for desired 3rd party14 votes
    1. NameCheap Free DNS
      64.29%
    2. GoDaddy DNS
      14.29%
    3. ClouDNS
      14.29%
    4. Dyn
        7.14%
    5. dnsimple
        0.00%

Comments

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@sdglhm said:
    Which would be the best option.

Best as defined by what criteria?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You can use cloudflare for just DNS as well, they're amongst the fastest available and free.

• deadbeef said: Best as defined by what criteria?

On your point of view. :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • vfuse said: You can use cloudflare for just DNS as well, they're amongst the fastest available and free.

Thank you for your comment.

edited May 2015

I picked Free Dns because it's good enough for hosting normal sites and Namecheap because I like it better than GD. For more complex cases with low volume, I'd go with a paid service. For high complexity, high volume, I'd go with a DIY option.

• deadbeef said: I picked Free Dns because it's good enough for hosting normal sites and Namecheap because I like it better than GD. For more complex cases with low volume, I'd go with a paid service. For high complexity, high volume, I'd go with a DIY option.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Yeah try Cloudflare's dns it's really good.

• Currently run my own. Uses up those spare VMs

• vladka24 said: Yeah try Cloudflare's dns it's really good.

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Currently run my own. Uses up those spare VMs

Thank you for your comments.

• J1021J1021 Member

CloudFlare DNS is solid.

• kcaj said: CloudFlare DNS is solid.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@sdglhm run your own, don't ever let your own data to be handled by some other company which you are only a number to them.

running dns is ultra easy.

• emre said: run your own, don't ever let your own data to be handled by some other company which you are only a number to them.

Thank you. I'm testing few dns servers of my own now. But to manage only few domains (yes I need to manage only few domains. [1-4]) I thought it's more cost effective to go with a 3rd party.

edited May 2015

@emre said:
    don't ever let your own data to be handled by some other company which you are only a number to them.

Let me guess - you also have your own dc, your own internet, you built your pc from parts made from your factories, you car was handcrafted in your back yard next to your potato field and cows.

• @emre said:
    sdglhm run your own, don't ever let your own data to be handled by some other company which you are only a number to them.

What if you've high dns traffic or ddos for example ?
    Buy more vps and ddos protection ?

It's much better to pay cents for it rather having that problems.

• alexvolk said: It's much better to pay cents for it rather having that problems.

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

You can use Anycasted DNS by Rage4 @gbshouse.

• CrogicCrogic Member
    edited May 2015

Try Rage4!

edit:
    They are under DDoS attack right now

• J1021J1021 Member

Tried Rage4 for a week and experienced two outages. Read a few posts yesterday complaining about outages too.

• CrogicCrogic Member

@kcaj said:
    Tried Rage4 for a week and experienced two outages. Read a few posts yesterday complaining about outages too.

Yea they are under a DDoS attack.

• J1021J1021 Member

Crogic said: Yea they are under a DDoS attack.

This was a while back now but when I enquired about the outage I was told there had been an issue with a "central database".

• CrogicCrogic Member

@kcaj said:
    This was a while back now but when I enquired about the outage I was told there had been an issue with a "central database".

How long ago was this? I've been using them for a couple months now and haven't had any issues.

• J1021J1021 Member

Crogic said: How long ago was this? I've been using them for a couple months now and haven't had any issues.

It was back in November 2014. For something that is global and distributed, a central database causing issues sounds like a single point of failure to me.

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

kcaj said: I was told there had been an issue with a "central database".

Sounds like an issue with "the Internet"

Thanked by 3J1021 niknar1900 jamson
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited May 2015

I migrated to Cloudflare for DNS after they started the free SSL service. I've noticed that changes to DNS zone via Cloudflare are instantaneous. I used to have my own dns servers. Even wrote a complete zonefile management interface.

• @kcaj said:
    It was back in November 2014. For something that is global and distributed, a central database causing issues sounds like a single point of failure to me.

Probably hosted on VPS (http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/53688/ubiquity-vps#latest).

Checked their network page and there is no Arizona just yet...

@gbshouse can you comment about your infrastructure and why this happened in first place ?

• If your domain registrar is Godaddy then . I would recommend to keep DNS with Godaddy. For performance you have look for Cloudflare as well.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@deadbeef

deadbeef said: Let me guess - you also have your own dc, your own internet, you built your pc from parts made from your factories, you car was handcrafted in your back yard next to your potato field and cows.

s

Yes I have my own dc

Yes I have my own Internet :) (If you consider running 2 differnt fibre's to 2 different tier1 ISP's and announcing my own Ip blocks with my own Ripe LIR :)

I built my own PCs and servers, yes. But I bought parts from Intel, Supermicro etc. If this counts.

I drive a Ford Focus - Again - But I modded it myself :D , If this counts also :)

And finally I have a field yes, Inherited from my father. But no potato's I'm sorry,

Only some fruit trees, Apples and plums. Sorry but I had to sell all my cows after the people taking care of them quit...

So yes.

RUN YOUW OWN DNS!

DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY ELSE!

• I'm still using freedns.afraid.org!

• emreemre Member, LIR

alexvolk said: What if you've high dns traffic or ddos for example ? Buy more vps and ddos protection ?

It's much better to pay cents for it rather having that problems.

Be a good boy, Nobody will DDOS you. If something happens, there are always other ways to protect you DNS stuff..