Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS shuts down, what to look for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS shuts down, what to look for?

AeneAene Member

I have a VPS from a European provider in the US that I've payed for until July. So I thought I should make some use of it and installed OpenVPN and VimbAdmin on it as mailserver.

It's been pretty stable, but for the last month it shuts itself down roughly every 14 days(it's done so three times now) and I have to go into the control panel to start it up again.
I've tried to look through the logs without finding something useful. And I can't see that I've received any notice from the provider about my VPS misbehaving.
Anyone have any suggestions on things to look for?

Comments

• You can open a support ticket their and ask their support staff. This is not your help desk.

• AeneAene Member

Already got a ticket. Just asking for some friendly suggestions on what I can look for while waiting for them to look into it.

• BuyAdsBuyAds Member

If you are under unmanaged plan do not bother the provider. Reinstall the vps and will work.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Aene said: what I can look for

Look for a better provider.

• I've had the same happen twice with one VPS. The first time I opened a ticket because I didn't get what was happened. (It never occurred to me to try the web interface.) The second time I just restarted it. I assumed it was because they recently changed ownership so expected some issues. However, shouldn't a VPS normally automatically restart instead of shutting off?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited May 2015

Is this an INIZ vps?

For some weird reason, the same thing's happening to me on one of theirs. I went through all the logs I could find. But I couldnt find anything to explain this on the container. There's a gap in logs at the time it shuts down. Support said they didnt have node issues. Other than this, the node's been great for the last 2 years.

Unfortunately I'm having exams this month, and have no time to investigate. Finally I could think of just one thing. I created a cron job on another vps, that would run every 10 minutes and switch the vps back on. A very obtuse approach to the whole thing, I know. :) I'll get back to it when I have time. My script is this: http://git.droidzone.in/droidzone/soluscontroller

• cociucociu Member

was a node restart or only a problem with your vps ?

Thanked by 1classy
  • Is it ramnode?

• AeneAene Member

As far as I can tell it's not a node restart so maybe I should just follow BuyAds suggestion and reinstall. I'm just curious as to why the logs look like someone just pulls the power from it. I would have expected it to restart.

It's not INIZ, but another 4 letter provider.

• Aene said: I'm just curious as to why the logs look like someone just pulls the power from it. I would have expected it to restart.

That's how I see it. A pulled plug with no restart. I'm not experienced enough yet to know it this is a normal mistake or something which should never happen.

It's not INIZ, but another 4 letter provider.

Four letters? In my case it was RIJX. I don't want to badmouth them though. I'm a pretty loyal sort, and in fact just renewed with them.

• AeneAene Member

4 letter yes, begins with an E...
    Guess I'll see if I get some response on my ticket before it dies next time. If not I'll reinstall it.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2015

Edis announced some planned node reboots for software updates recently. Maybe this was the reason?
    Though the VPS should start automatically after a node reboot.

• AeneAene Member

Yes, got an email about that. But I thought that was a one-time event and the time for that doesn't coincide with the times it shut down.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Ask their support.

You can also check logs to see if the server has just been powered off, rebooted or simply shutdown, this might give you some clue.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

When I had EDIS a few years ago the nodes would get shutdown when one of the customers on them would get DDOS attacks. It happened quite frequently. This made the 'exotic' locations quite useless.

• If you VPS is violating your providers Terms of service and other policy. They might have applied any restriction. Some times the IP provider even block the IP in case of any compliant from third party. You should check your VPS to aviod abuse situations.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Still. The first point of contact should be the provider's support.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

I don't recall an announcement, but there's reboots happening right now -- https://status.edis.at/

Waiting for my Iceland VM to come back online.

Edit: missed the email :)

Dear Client,

EDIS improves performance and stability on its infrastructure and needs to

reboot hostnodes in Hafnarfjordur.
    You receive this email, because at least one of your KVM instances is
    affected.

Maintenance timeframe: max. 20 minutes, starting May 26 2015 13:00 UTC

Thanks a lot for your understanding!

Best regards,
    Yours EDIS Team

There was another reboot a couple weeks ago due to VENOM vulnerability. That may account for two of the ones you saw, not sure about the third.

Edit2: came back online